this has been asked 1000 times...

danceaway

Jun 22, 2006
I have read all the threads about getting a Dominican into the USA, and about the difficult and lengthy process...but can anyone give me the correct web sight on the actual steps and what I must do to apply for a visa so that a friend of mine can not only come here but can also work here. This is not for someone that I am in love with, nor planning on marrying, or anything along those lines. Just want to know the correct and proper way to proceed and possibly assist a friend on getting a chance at a better way of life. He has tried to explain to me how to go about this process, but it seems really complicated as well as very confussing. There must be a catch to this whole process that someone has been able to discover with so many people trying the same thing. Why is this always such a problem, and involves jumping through so many hoops. I do understand the economics of this issue, but isnt the Dominican Repoublic a free country and as such shouldnt things be a little less complicated.....oh wait, maybe I just answered my own question....economics, goverment.....paperwork.....I get it, but still just need to know the steps and what I must do to assist. I am not going to do this alone, he has to take the proper steps to help himself also......If he wants a better life he must also work to make that a reality also. Sorry to put this same question out there, but I have looked at many sights and get conflicting information from most, so better to go to the experts...and thats just what I am doing....Thanks for the help, it is greatly appreciated.
( I would also like to add that I have been friends with this person for the past year and a half and do not run to WU office, do not send him money and he doesnt hit me up for money when we talk. So this is not a Sanky issue.)

Last edited:

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
In order for your friend to work in the US he needs a green card. It's not the DR keeping him from leaving it's the US that screens who gets in.

So if you are not going to marry the guy he has to apply on his own merits, education skills etc.

You're a smart women so I'll give you the website to read the ways in which a person can apply for a "green card"

HERE IT IS Permanent Resident (Green Card)

danceaway

Jun 22, 2006
Thanks Anna, you are always polite and give insightful advise and information.
As for MF , just a term of endearment, nothing derrogitory in the abbreviation, unless thats how its taken.....what exactly are you saying or getting at. I am not married, and not getting married..do you have nothing better to do than to monitor all the posts on this sight and go back and review and evaluate all that is written and all that is asked, or mentioned..and cobraboy...8 to 10 years...get real, just asked a simple question.....
Again, Anna, many Thanks

twincactus

Aug 9, 2004
www.dominicanstotheusa.com
Unfortunately he doesn't have too many options. You can't just "come here" because you want to, you have to have a reason. If you come on a work visa, first of all the employer has to sponsor you and second of all they have to prove that they cannot find anyone with the skills you have in the USA to fill that position.

The other way would be a student visa but that is equlally as hard as you must be accepted into the school and have the tuition and that has to have been accumulated over time (someone can't just give you the money).

..........or he could learn to play baseball very very well. ;)

Cobraboy is right, whatever way if he is not marrying an American, it will take a very very long time.

-Tim