Visitor visa for husband's 13 year old sister, advice?

kjdrga

Mar 25, 2002
My husband is a US resident and I (his wife) am a US citizen. I would like to see if his little sister could come visit and stay with us for a summer. Anyone know if that is even possible will the US cosulate give a 13 year old a visitors visa? What "proof of ties to the home country" could we provide. We live in Virginia. Their Mom died suddenly 4 years ago and the Dad is hardly in the picture. She is rather overweight and is desperately in need of some attention and I think a visit with us could help her get the help she may need to deal with the death of their mom.

Long story short....is this going to be possible?

My husband will not be able to become a citizen for about another year, that's if we apply soon!

THanks

kali

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You can give it a try. All you have to do is prove that the little girl will return to the DR.
1)Who will approve her trip? She needs a bunch of letters and certificates to even make a trip.
2) Who will she be traveling with?
3) Who can go to the Consulate with her???

Lots of homework to be done.

HB

Feb 7, 2007
If she was from Hungary, Taiwan, Brazil, etc it most likely would not be a problem, and the little sister would get a visitors visa. Speaking from own experience (my sis got 5 year visitr visa, me inviting her, with US residency).

Being Dominican (same as Mexican or Indian)... may be more difficult. But it's not impossible.

Ties?
Letters from school that she will continue enrolled next year (middle school) - I don't know if the schools here give that confirmations.

And again, considering these applications in Europe is different than here in DR.

Good luck.

kjdrga

Mar 25, 2002
You can give it a try. All you have to do is prove that the little girl will return to the DR. KJDRGA responses in blue.
1)Who will approve her trip? We would get a letter from the father to take her out of the country.She needs a bunch of letters and certificates to even make a trip. How can I find out what certificates she'll need are there any resources on the net? In the DR?
2) Who will she be traveling with? She would be traveling with me and her brother (my husband) We would bring her back with us from a DR visit.
3) Who can go to the Consulate with her??? Good question, should her father? or could I since she would be staying with us and well I have more experience in the consulate than the "dead" beat father.

Lots of homework to be done. Yes indeed that is why I thought I would throw the question out there and thought I'd come back to DR1 as a place to start out the long journey of investigating.

HB

Thanks HB for helping...

Last edited:

lexi

Bronze
Jan 23, 2007
kjdrga - I wish you good luck. It is too bad they make it so hard for family to visit the US and Canada. It sounds like this little girl could use someone like you and your husband. Don't give up trying to get her to you!!