Los Ninos de Leonardo y Meredith Inc., Las Terrenas

dahlia

Nov 21, 2006
Very nice story !

It is great to see that some people give their time and money for those children. Just as an information, don't think that all kids who are on the street don't go to school, most of them do, but only half a day : there are not enough schools nor teachers, so the youngest kids go either in the morning, either in the afternoon, and the eldest one from 4 PM to 7 or 8 PM. What can they learn in so little time, and that's why every new school is such an help for them. Nevertheless, I have been teaching french to some kids and it is remarkable to see how lots of them learn easily, they are very smart and they really WANT to learn.
Congratulation to those young generous people ! And how can the government spend so much money for an aqueduc to El Rincon (just to help their friends to invest and make money) while the elementary needs of the population are far from respected. Don't they understand that schools are a much better investment - but of course for the long term !

Jasper

Bronze
Jan 10, 2002
don't knock the aquaduct. looking forward to having water in las galeras.

bigjuan163usmc

May 18, 2007
It is great to see that some people give their time and money for those children. Just as an information, don't think that all kids who are on the street don't go to school, most of them do, but only half a day : there are not enough schools nor teachers, so the youngest kids go either in the morning, either in the afternoon, and the eldest one from 4 PM to 7 or 8 PM. What can they learn in so little time, and that's why every new school is such an help for them. Nevertheless, I have been teaching french to some kids and it is remarkable to see how lots of them learn easily, they are very smart and they really WANT to learn.
Congratulation to those young generous people ! And how can the government spend so much money for an aqueduc to El Rincon (just to help their friends to invest and make money) while the elementary needs of the population are far from respected. Don't they understand that schools are a much better investment - but of course for the long term !

Kudos to you for teaching the kids French...in this country there are too many people who don't have the oppurtunity of basic education. I've been teaching a friend of mine how to read and she's been progressing very well. She is 28 years old with a son and has to deal with an abusive marido...well used to because I convinced her that the man would eventually beat her to death, so she moved from Dajabon to Hato Mayor. I've been giving English lessons to another friend of mine, a 17 year old Haitian boy who cleans shoes (sometimes he goes around picking up abondoned presidente bottles to make money) for a living to help his mother (she's not a prostitute, I met her myself...she makes money by doing various things - cleaning, selling fruits, etc.) and little sister (who is 8 years old). He has been progressing as well and I have been helping him with his reading skills. I don't charge them for the lessons, its just something I do out of passion. I can't stand to see someone suffer in a country like this because of a lack of education. I know the education won't help these people prosper in life or anything, but it helps them with everyday life. I suggest that anyone with compassion to try and take some time to teach children reading/writing/etc. if they can because the way I imagine it is this way....if you were in the shoes of those kids' mothers, wouldn't you appreciate it if someone out of the kindness of their heart took the time to show them a little something? Maybe I'm rambling, maybe I'm just a romantic...I don't care. What's right is right.