Queen's/Washington Heights

tarrantino

Jan 12, 2006
Can someone tell me how far Queen's is from Washington Heights? I have only been hearing of WH since I joined the forum. Is there a good Dominican restaurant there? Also (I ask this question all the time) where can I pick up some relatively reasonable spices while there,(besides an expensive grocery store. I need sazon con pimento. I picked some up while in the DR, but I can always use more.

Thanks

William Cancroft

Jun 29, 2006
Where are you traveling from in Queens? It makes a difference....Washington Heights is the neighborhood noth of Harlem and starts at 155 st and ends at Fort Tryon Park.Again depending on waht part of Queens you are traveling A AND from.....you can the 1 ,9, A and C train.To give you a better idea if you are at Rego Park then 45-55 minutes.

There are a ton of good restuarants on Broadway which names you might ie. Malecon, El Conde but my favorite is a Irsih Bar/rest at 168th and broadway called Coogans.

A

apostropheman

here's a map: Neighborhood Map
Washington Heights is #16 and Queens is #25
neighborhood_map.gif

drny

Jun 12, 2007
You'l find many supermarkets along St. Nicholas Ave . (Ave. Duarte). Most of these have many of the things we use to cook with back home. As for restaurants, you'll find them up and down St. Nicholas & Broadway. A good one is "La Nueva Espana" on St. Nicholas & 173rd st.

Mujermaravilla

Jun 15, 2006
you do not need to go to WH

Queens has many dominican restaurants. Try Rancho Jubilee it's in queens they have a web site. look it up.

as far as the spices you can go to any Latino Supermarket. You can also try bodegas... many many many bodegeros are dominican just go in and ask for what you want.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Bushwick

Thanks, I will be travelling from Richmond Hill, that doesn't look so far.

From Richmond Hill you are about 15 minutes from Bushwick where you can go into just about any supermarket and get what you need.

Amber

Jan 24, 2003
hiya

Since I happened to work in WH for over 9 years and am Dominican (for now) I can strongly recoment you take the #9 train to 191st st and Duarte Ave (used to be St. Nicholas ave.) Across the street from the train station is a great Dominican Restaurant with nooo loud music :bunny: really the food is as good as mom's, but don't tell her I said that :dead:
Don't try driving there as the parking situation is horrendous, trust me, last time I was there it took me 2 hous to find a spot and then walked 4 blocks in the snow..ughghg) Also the nypd loves that area for filling their quota for tickets.
As for spices, just walk to any grocy store in that block and you'll find most of what u want. For more exotic spices go to the botanica between 187th and 186th St. Nick/Duarte Ave or if you're up to a stroll, go to 184th st and Audubon Ave, next ave after st. nick. There's another botanica there where u can even buy real presidentes.
oops... i mean the ones allowed of course...:ninja: even a red rock soft drink or plaintain leve to make pasteles.
Please avoid the area bet 167th to 155th st.. trust me on this one.
And if you're into nice places, do visit the cloisters museum and walk round the gardens. It's really gorgeous if you're into architecture and history. At night the gardens are a sort of lovers lane so watch your step!!!
lol
have fun
Amber

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Right here in Queens go to the Corona area. There is a Dominican presence there. Go to any bodega and you will find the spices you are looking for. On 100-02 Northern Blvd. you will find Caridad restaurant. Good Dominican cuisine.

Indie

Bronze
Nov 15, 2002
"Criollo Style"

In Washington Heights, you must go to "El Restaurant de Margot" on 159th st. and Broadway. It's a hole-in-the-wall, but the food is DELICIOUSLY DOMINICAN.

-Indie

2LeftFeet

Bronze
Dec 1, 2006
If I remember correctly there is a Dominican restaurant on Logan and Fulton St. I had a friend that lived in that neighborhood. The restaurant was open very late, the music was loud and supposedly the food was very good. There are a lot of Dominicans that live on Fulton Street. Shouldn't be too far from you. It's right on the border. (Brooklyn)

I've never been there.

Richmond Hill is a ways from Washington Heights--- I looked at the map again..... Richmond Hill is far behind, #25 and 24. It would be in the white area OFF the PAGE!!!

My Dominican friends swear by El Malecon--- 174 st??? & B-way . If you can get past the blasting music .. you're good to go.

Last edited:

StellaRay

Apr 8, 2007
I just wanted to second El Malecon if you travel to Washington Heights (I think it's 175th and Broadway, not like that's a big difference lol). It is a bit noisy and it's always been crowded when I've been there---but the crowds are a good sign in my opinion. It's pretty cheap, large portions, and the chicken is fabulous...and there's also Presidente, if that's your thing ;)

kapitan75

Jun 3, 2005
queens dominican food

Kinda of slow with response, but for fried food dominicano goto the cabana on 103 st aff of roosevelt avenue (103 corona plaza stop on the 7 train). I have seen people from all over come here for chicharones, longanisas, and pollo frito. the best mofongo city wide as well. La brisa one block over is very good as well. For dominican spices, go next door the the associate supermarket, they got it all. Corona was a heavily populated dominican neighborhood but is now mostly mexican, south american. the roots are still there though.

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
In Washington Heights, you must go to "El Restaurant de Margot" on 159th st. and Broadway. It's a hole-in-the-wall, but the food is DELICIOUSLY DOMINICAN.

-Indie

you are correct and a little further up between 161 and 162 on Brodway there is "Sabor Latino" very very good roast chicken and of course rice and beans, moro, etc.

tarrantino

Jan 12, 2006
I am back from Queen's. I found everything that I wanted right in the area and for cheaper than in the DR. I also found my decaf coffe for a real good price.. I also saw some Dominican vanilla for three times as much as you can get it for in the DR(looked like it had been sitting for a while)

So thanks again for all the info, but I didn't get a chance to check out any of the restaurants, but I did manage to get to Jamaica Ave and the Flea Market.

I got some good shopping in (lol)

2LeftFeet

Bronze
Dec 1, 2006
Heyy----You're showing that you're not a true NY'er. There is no apostrophe in Queens! jajajaja!

I'm surprised that it was cheaper in in the Heights.

I'm glad that you enjoyed your day!

NYC is fun.