Please help transport donations NY-STI

Status
Not open for further replies.

sbsuib

Apr 13, 2006
is there anybody out there going to Santiago in the next month or too that could bring a suitcase full of donations to Santiago for an orphange.? M daughter and I have been collecting items for an orphanage there that we will visit in July. I have collected so much, I will need to leave some behind. If anyone is going and does not have 2 full suitcases, maybe we can coordinate this. Any suggestions for cheap safe shipping may work too.
Thanks in advance for your help
Stevi

Feb 7, 2007
Well, the problem may be the DR Aduana (customs)... have read here before about some people experiencing difficulties bringing in donations (I think there were medicines) so check with the DR embassy before sending anyone with a truckload of donations in their suitcase - so that the good samaritan would not have problems in Aduana upon landing.

sbsuib

Apr 13, 2006
No medicine- just school supplies and clothes and baseball things- Aduana would think it was just someone's belongings- we did it last summer with 4 bags full and they didnt even look twice- used clothes- some crafts, games etc.
Thanks for the help
Stevi

Feb 7, 2007
You may have problems with carrying 4 bags this time --- American is enforcing policy for number of bags/oversized bags from JFK to DR.

cuas

May 29, 2006
Use puerta a puerta.
My sisters just sent 2 boxes full of food (for their use), used clothes (to give away) and gifts to SD. They paid $70.00 for each box. (moving boxes). The shipping co. come to your house and sealed the box in front of you and deliver it to the address you give them.
I am not travelling this year but this week a sent a tank-$100.00 Quisqueya Shipping-sale. I said food to them but I cleaned my closet with clothing that my children outgrown or do not wear anymore I put them in the tank, also all lotions, perfumes, shower gels that were taking space in my apt., an old Nintendo system and the games, a blower, hair clippers.
I sealed it myself but when they came to pick it up they sealed it with their tape on top of mine. I hope it will get there before my sisters return to NY.

Next time call one of this agencies and tell them you are sending donations. I think you will find one that can accomodate you so you do not have to carry heavy.
Most Dominicans do not ask others to carry for them anymore because maybe they have to tip them 10 or 20 dollars for the favor and for $70 or $75 they can send a full moving box with items for the whole barrio.

sbsuib

Apr 13, 2006
agencies to ship donations

What agencies should I call? I would love help with the heavy bags. Has anyone used Quiaqueya or Puerta a Puerta before. How long do they take and will it definitely arrive intact? I am in upstate New York so I would need to take a trip down to the city.

Status
Not open for further replies.