Calling DR

Jun 5, 2004
As for now I would say that the best card to use to call the Dominican Republic is the brand PT1 which one can obtain in any bodega around NYC.

Apr 10, 2006
I use skype... online and call thru my compu.

It is 8.7 cents per min. to a landline....
much more to a cell phone like 17.2 cents per min... I think phone cards tend to be a bit cheaper than the mobile phone rate they have.

ssasy

Mar 5, 2006
I use Skype. It's cheap and very convenient for me since there is not a big hispanic community where I live.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Hotdog & Motoconcho are two of the best, motoconcho gives you over a half-hour on $2 card to a cell phone.

Pedro Tercero

Dec 22, 2006
I got a $20 Sprint card at the CVS Pharmacy chain in Michigan, and can call the DR for about ten cents per minute. This rate applies for a call to either a cell phone or a fixed phone, and as far as I can tell it doesn't matter what time of day I call.

P3

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
I got a $20 Sprint card at the CVS Pharmacy chain in Michigan, and can call the DR for about ten cents per minute. This rate applies for a call to either a cell phone or a fixed phone, and as far as I can tell it doesn't matter what time of day I call.

P3
That's a great rate to call a cel phone. Do you know what the connection fees, periodic fees, or billing increments are?

Pedro Tercero

Dec 22, 2006
Rellosk - I don't know about the charges you named. When I call from a public phone, there's a US$1.25 charge. I don't know if there's a charge to the receiving phone. No one has ever told me there was. I hope that answered your questions. P3

Ginger Meggs

Mar 22, 2004
Has any of you tried Frequenttia?
Supuestamente, they give you a local number and you get unlimited calls from the DR and a set amount of minutes to the DR.
But I want to know if they are reliable. Any one knows?
Thanks

Jenna

Mar 12, 2007
If calling the DR from Canada, I would say 20/20 has the best rates, that I have found anyways. Land line is about 5.5c/min and from a cell its about 13.5c/min.

Jenna

Mar 12, 2007
One thing to add about the 20/20 card though... its best to use for a few long calls as it has some daily service fees after you first activate it.

cuas

May 29, 2006
When i go to the bodega here in NY, I buy a $2.00 calling card. When they asked which one, I simply say "La que da mas" (the one that has more minutes.) I let then pick, they know the deal.
Yesterday they give me ARENQUE. 1hour and 8 min. (not cell phone) I spoke to my sisters and my mother who left me behind in NY. We had to hang up.