santo domingo to constanza, constanza to jarabacoa

alloallo3

Jan 27, 2007
Hi,
Four of us will be in the DR beginning July 15. What's the best way to get to constanza from santo domingo, and from constanza to jarabacoa?

I checked into renting a car, but it seemed ridiculously expensive.
Thanks,
Mark

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Well, there are no major bus lines running up that way. And definitely none from Constanza to Jarabacoa.
You can take local transport--how is your Spanish?? But again, the route from Constanza to Jarabacoa is probably not very well served.

so a rental, 4 x 4, is what you need to do. have fun!! and be extremely cautious, as driving in this country is not something i'd recommend to any newbie here.

HB

Feb 7, 2007
Constanza to Jarabacoa - I don't think there is ANY bus line. It's a mountain road in BAD conditions, but with AWSOME views. I went the route in a sedan, and it was so-so. Going slowly, and with no rain, can be passed. But it's better suited for SUV or other 4x4 if weather conditions are not friendly. Rent a car just for 1 day, and do La Vega - Jarabacoa - Constanza - La Vega. It's worth it!

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
There are gua-guas between Constanza and Jarabacoa, but just one or two a day each direction. Didn't use them, so can't tell the time schedule.

anneeoakland

Feb 12, 2005
I took Caribe Tours to Jarabacoa from SD in 2005. Decent trip.

In Dec 06 we drove from SD to Constanza -- winding road, no 4x4 necessary. Had a rented Mitsubishi Lancer from Thrifty --- they are the best deal in the DR, unless some local will give you a local price. As a gringa, the negoitation is too painful. Thrifty can be reserved in advanced at a secure price.

The two towns are close, as the bird flies - but tough roads between.

alloallo3

Jan 27, 2007
thanks -- one more question

Okay,
If I'm not going directly from constanza to jarabacoa, but instead I drive all the way back to Highway 1 and go through La Vega to get to Jarabacoa, do I need a 4X4?
Thanks,
Mark

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
No the road from La Vega to Jarabacoa is paved, actually not too bad. hilly, lots of curves, and stay on your side of the road and you'll be fine. Only about 45 minutes. The road from Jarabacoa to Constanza isn't bad unless there has been a lot of rain.