Is it just me or is American airlines service worse on their Dominican Routes?

JC171

Oct 20, 2002
I have flown American Airlines alot and I have noticed that their service is much worse in Flights to DR and some other latin american countries..I have seen flight attendents be rude to passengers by screaming at them,not paying attention to the call buttons,throwing food trays,having attitude

Vs when flying American service isnt great ...the flight attendents are much nicer on Flights to Europe and to Destinations such as Buenos aires or Sao Paolo...the worse I have seen is to DR,Mexico,Guatemala and I heard to Haiti...

sooo

Is it just me or is American airlines service worse on their Dominican Routes?

drny

Jun 12, 2007
Funny you should bring this up. I have not flown to other destinations in the recent past but: I flew Continental to the DR last year and I flew on American earlier this year and I must say, the service on the plane was noticibly different. I usually don't put too much behind minor details but I did notice some "attitude" as you refer, on the part of some of the attendants. Such as speaking to the passengers in a "not so polite" manner and being impatient when asked for refills and such. Again, I don't have much flying experience but no, It's not just you. I noticed a difference and I'm sure others have also even though they may not want to make a big deal out of it. I'm grateful for them having daily, econimical flights to DR but yes, a little more "respect" for their faithful passengers would be greatly appreciated.

toneloc24

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Dude, you're preaching to the wrong choir. I'll never fly American again, if life allows me the decision.

I mentioned witnessing similar experiences on my flights to the DR, and got yelled down on here like I was hallucinating. This was a few years ago, when Jet Blue and Delta started their service to the DR.

Yeah, you're correct. American Airlines, at least the service staff, really doesn't show the same respect to flights to the Caribbean and Latin America as they do to flights to Europe. I've flown both routes and can very easily say that there is a noticeable difference in attitude by the flight crews. At first, I thought it was circumstantial, later I realized that it wasn't, esp. to the DR. What crazy to know is that airlines make more profits on Caribbean and Latin American routes than to Europe. And this is how folks travelling there get treated.

I currently have some AAdvantage miles, but would rather let them expire than use or transfer them. Screw them.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
yes i must agree also. but the great rates to the DR will keep me on AA !!

p.s if you could transfer AA miles, i would ask you for them :laugh:

STIOP

Jun 11, 2004
The guys at AA call it.....

the worse I have seen is to DR,Mexico,Guatemala and I heard to Haiti...

QUOTE]

Ahhhh.... These routes are more famously known in the AA crews as " The Roach Coach ".......

Slds

STIOP

agomera

Nov 16, 2005
I think you are right. Flights to the DR, and usually flights from/to JFK have a worse service compared to the U.S. Domestic routes. Beginning with the boarding process, followed by the on board service, and the deplaning process, I've seen the flight crew more rude on DR flights; but I think it happens with every airline. Usually I fly on US Airways and Delta, and same things happen, but at the same time, the passengers going to the DR are less organized and spend more time boarding than the passengers on the domestic routes of both airlines.

aviastar

Bronze
Jan 12, 2003
www.www.www
Well, the name of this carrier says it all, american way to serve is too poor comparing to Europe or Asia. So they give you all they can.

Jan 5, 2006
In general, I have found that US based airlines can not compare in service to foreign airlines. The service on airlines such as Lufthansa, Alitalia, Air France, etc., is far superior to any of the US based airlines.

semperinfidelis

Apr 15, 2003
I know these guys at American Airlines are in the customer service industry, and there is no excuse for the way they treat passengers - especially on flights to the DR. I've seen it many times where the service is noticably different than flights to other destinations.

However, like an aunt of mine said, "El Dominicano no sabe viajar!" Case in point, when deplaning the aircraft on a flight to the DR, the cabin will be left with all kinds of trash laying on the floor. Soiled diapers, food, etc. Of course the flight crew gets irritated! It's embarrassing because it makes us Dominicans look like we have no manners - like we don't clean up after ourselves. Osea, como que no tenemos costumbre.

I could go on forever about all kinds of stuff I see on a typical flight to DR but I rather keep it brief.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
They are always nice to First Class passengers.

Maybe people are getting what they pay for? Its a possibility.

-NALs

Nyeden

Sep 2, 2005
I have a cousin who works for AA. Employees there DO NOT like to work on check in flights destined to DR or Haiti. (They even have arguments with their bosses for scheduling them on DR/Haiti flight shifts too often) They complaint that Dominicans always overload their baggage even though they know the weights limits, and causing delays. They are always getting up from their sits (to get off the plane faster than anyone else) beefore it even lands! I?ve witness this myself several times.

Nyeden

Sep 2, 2005
I think you are right. Flights to the DR, and usually flights from/to JFK have a worse service compared to the U.S. Domestic routes. Beginning with the boarding process, followed by the on board service, and the deplaning process, I've seen the flight crew more rude on DR flights; but I think it happens with every airline. Usually I fly on US Airways and Delta, and same things happen, but at the same time, the passengers going to the DR are less organized and spend more time boarding than the passengers on the domestic routes of both airlines.

I think this has to do with cultural differences, as Europeans/Americans tend to tolerate less poor Customer service than Dominicans. Think about it, Dominican business ex supermarkets, stores (unless they are they high end ones) don?t focus too much on Customer Service IMAO.

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
For the money AA is fantastic. As long as the toilets work and they have enough vodka for the bloody marys all is fine. Anyone with AA miles that as a matter of principle refuse to fly with them anymore i will with great appreciation take them off your hands.

I have flown with AA to the DR 15 times in the past 3 years and will be buying 2 tickets this week with them. I get the same shatty service whenever i fly to Chicago or the DR.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Most AA employees are nasty

not all but most I have encountered at JFK and in the air. But its best just to be overly nice back to them.

You really notice the difference when you go Jet Blue!

Jan 5, 2006
They are always nice to First Class passengers.
IMO, first class to DR on AA is only worth it if you're taking an afternoon flight and are getting an upgrade with miles (15k), or a free upgrade. I wouldn't pay the full fare for first class.

Now, regarding the in-flight service, I've noticed that the older attendants are the ones with the real nasty attitudes towards the passengers. I've never experienced this personally, but have seen them in action with other passengers. The younger attendants at least seem to make an attempt to be nice to the passengers.

mandryjx

Jun 27, 2006
If you think American Airlines was bad, try Spirit Airlines. At least it sounds like American Airline offered some sort of beverage. Spirit offered a beverage, yeah, but for a price. The only thing complimentary was the water, which was served out of an opened pitcher. Oh and this was the business class service. Then if that weren't enough, you could only purchase a beverage using a credit card. Most people on board did not speak english, hence confusion over drinks became the 3 hour theme. The highlight, only the captain spoke spanish. The few words he did say over the intercom were not even audible. OH and God forbid you would even question the stewardess - the only thing she was short of doing was zapping you with a lazer gun. So best stay with the crap service AA offers, less you want to do what my gradmother would often say - go from "quatamal a quatapeor.

Joshua R

Jan 2, 2006
I have a cousin who works for AA. Employees there DO NOT like to work on check in flights destined to DR or Haiti. (They even have arguments with their bosses for scheduling them on DR/Haiti flight shifts too often) They complaint that Dominicans always overload their baggage even though they know the weights limits, and causing delays. They are always getting up from their sits (to get off the plane faster than anyone else) beefore it even lands! I?ve witness this myself several times.

wow these guys are pricks ! but the standing up before it lands.. that seems a bit exaggerated

aviastar

Bronze
Jan 12, 2003
www.www.www
People get what they deserved. I think dominican passengers should understand that american airlines staff is not in slavery and they don't pay that huge amount of money they think, so .......

By the way AA Business Class fare for RT SDQ NYC SDQ with all taxes is 1006 USD , it is extremely cheap if you consider that it is international 3 1/2 hours flight