Building Standards in the DR?

Maija

Jun 10, 2007
I'm wondering..

If you are building a house in the countryside outside of Cabarete, are there Building Codes/Standards that have to be followed?

eg. Here in the Township I live in, you must apply (and pay for) a "Building Permit"; cannot build anything under 1,200 sq ft; cannot use recycled materials of any kind; must have a licensed Electrician do the work; must even have a proper (approved) blueprint done by a licensed Architect.

And of course... there's a Building Inspector to watch you every step of the way.

Peace,
Maija

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Yes, of course there are standards. But it really depends where you are - quite deep in the countryside one could probably get away with much more than inside towns or gated communities.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Technically if you are living within a town or city, yes, you are supposed to have approved plan, building inspector...etc. In the countryside I think that you can play by a different set of rules.

sjh

aka - shadley
Jan 1, 2002
www.geocities.com
in some places the building code reads,,,, if the building falls down it cant fall on someone elses property. thats about the whole list of rules....

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I thought you wanted a "shack"?

what happened to the simple life/idea of living in a shack?

Maija

Jun 10, 2007
johne ? Exactly! There?s no way in the world I?m allowed to build a shack up here. As I said, not even anything under 1,200sq ft! I?m basically asking if I?d be allowed to do that. Perhaps something like 500sq ft. Also wondering if I?d be able to use second-hand windows, etc. I have no idea how easy/difficult it might be to find such a thing as that. Up here I have friends that install windows. You see awesome windows that have been removed and sent to the dump. However, as much as the world goes on about being greener, about recycling, you are not allowed to use them, or anything second-hand, for that matter. The fact that this particular Township forces everyone to build houses bigger than they ?need? (which, of course, take more precious energy to heat and cool), and doesn?t allow anyone to use perfectly good cast-off windows? Well, suffice it to say I get rather heated over this issue.

Shadley ? That?s actually closer to the idea I had? or at least wondered about/wished for.

Bob and Chris ? Understood. I wonder if they are so lax as to have just that simple rule Shadley believes them to have?

Question: Are windows necessary? (meaning ?glass? windows) In TCI where my Friend lives now, he doesn?t even have any. He?s got screens and shutters. (not that HIS house is a shack!) Perhaps the need for safety in the DR makes it a little different.

Thank you so much for your replies. I?m one of those people that likes to research and research. I like having answers ahead of time. It?ll be some time before I?m able to come, but my head is spinning with dreams and possibilities already. A dose of reality is good, me thinks.

Peace,
Maija

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Question: Are windows necessary? (meaning ?glass? windows) In TCI where my Friend lives now, he doesn?t even have any. He?s got screens and shutters. (not that HIS house is a shack!) Perhaps the need for safety in the DR makes it a little different.
Peace,
Maija

The rainfall pattern in the TCI is not the same as in the DR. The TCI is a dry island for the most - the DR is wet. If you build traditional Caribbean, you can get away with screens and shutters ... and of course a sturdy set of burglar bars. But if you do build traditional Caribbean you need to study the rainfall in your area otherwise you'll get real wet real fast.

Maija

Jun 10, 2007
Thank you Chris, very good point.

I feel rather stupid now. :cross-eye:

Peace,
Maija

sjh

aka - shadley
Jan 1, 2002
www.geocities.com
my reply was not a joke. of course not all towns are the same. The town engineer may stop your construction if things are a really dangerous mess but even then unlikely...

for a good cheap house, build a single floor place with concrete walls, aluminum shutter windows, an aluzinc roof, and a dyed concrete floor. It is a good idea to have a triple wide aluminum sliding glass door to open up the house for air. A house like this will last nearly forever and wont kill your wallet.