Santo Domingo Scammers !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DAKRA

Bronze
Feb 21, 2007
Figured that I would start a thread to generate discussion on how to watch out for Scammers in SD or in that matter any part of the DR. More often than not, there are those scammers in the DR cities who just prey and prey on unsuspecting tourists. I am not talking about the Shoeshine boys or those who are really in need, - What I am talking about is those who are just Marking You like you are a target on a bulls-eye...

There are those who try Rob you... Of course those who tell you that the police are going to arrest them if they don't pay the police $$$ so you feel obligated to give them $$ - Plus those who just won't take No for an answer and of course those who are just following you around everywhere and of course those who collaborate with the Police to try to blackmale you for $$.

Sounds horrible huh? - But yes, it happens everyday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is a guy who now lives in the DR, (SD to be exact) he is an expat who posts to a blog that he created with a wide readership. His readers tell about the horror stories that they have experienced and often have Pictures to prove it. His posts tell about the person(s), their tactics, tricks, methods, goals, hang-outs, potential targets, etc. - Often some of the readers try to snap a photo of the would-be-scammer and they submit it to the owner of the blog who posts them and warn other tourists about them.

I for one have read the posts and try to be cautious of these pretators. I have seen a few of them on the streets of SD especially on el conde. -

So what can be done? - What should be done? - ???????????????

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
There are those who try Rob you... Of course those who tell you that the police are going to arrest them if they don't pay the police $$$ so you feel obligated to give them $$ - Plus those who just won't take No for an answer and of course those who are just following you around everywhere and of course those who collaborate with the Police to try to blackmale you for $$.

So what can be done? - What should be done? - ???????????????

STOP going to DR...ANYWHERE in DR!!! STOP...NOW...DON'T EVER GO BACK!!!

Boy, oh boy...some people really MUST have a sign on their heads that read "IDIOT"...and that's why you get taken advantage of...How can ANYONE MAKE you feel obligated to give them money??? How can ANYONE tell you a story about the police arresting them if they don't pay and YOU BELIEVE THEM???

I have been in DR at least 20 times in 4 years and have NEVER, EVER encountered ANYONE that tried to rip me off...or heard any of this crap!!!

Please, I beg you...DON'T COME HERE to post this stupid stories about DR...I'm not Dominican and fell insulted by these posts...

If you don't like it...DON'T EVER come back...Problem solved!!!!

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007

Boy, oh boy...some people really MUST have a sign on their heads that read "IDIOT"...and that's why you get taken advantage of...How can ANYONE MAKE you feel obligated to give them money??? How can ANYONE tell you a story about the police arresting them if they don't pay and YOU BELIEVE THEM???

I have been in DR at least 20 times in 4 years and have NEVER, EVER encountered ANYONE that tried to rip me off...or heard any of this crap!!!

Please, I beg you...DON'T COME HERE to post this stupid stories about DR...I'm not Dominican and fell insulted by these posts...

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I got taken by a really slick street money changer in SD by the Three Heroes Monument. A street saavy Dominican friend saw it as it happened, and to this day can't believe it happened.

No mas. I got greedy and paid a price.

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
Now that you mention it CB....the kid in the cambio next to Mason de Luis tried to get me for 1000 pesos when I changed a couple hundred U.S. with him....I did my typical, walked in wearing shorts, spoke in English, until I re-counted the pesos in front of him....en Espanol...

He quickly corrected himself...tu vigilas sus dinero nino!

DAKRA

Bronze
Feb 21, 2007
Amazing Huh?

Well aren't you just the DR Welcome Wagon gone bad! - - - Thanks for the Bad Info, I am sure that those in DR who want $$ in the economy really appreciate you and your advice.

While I am not trying to sound "MAD", it does seem that you must live under a rock. What is so special about you that makes you NOT a target for bad people? - I am sure that you are not the only person who has not experienced someone trying to hustle you, but for every person like you, therre are so many many more like me who have been subjected to the hustlers. -

So, while your post is self-explanatory and right to the point, it is appreciated for your feedback, but you are WAY OFF.

Status
Not open for further replies.