Maggi

isabelle13

Mar 8, 2006
Hi All

I don't know if I am posting this in the right section but since it is genereal...I will go for it. My husband has just arrived to Canada and we are trying to cook some good dominican food.

He wants Maggi for his cooking. So I suggested we use chicken broth cube but he says they have a kind of Maggi down there that does not tste like poultry or meat but is just seasonning. Does any of you know of a similar product sold in Canada?

Thanks

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
I'm pretty sure they sell vegetable broth cubes in Cananda, probably of the Knorr brand, which is pretty much the same as Maggi.

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
goya has a kind of maggi that is probably the same stuff..........if your supermarket has an ethnic section it should be there..........Sazon Goya,,,,,,,,,,,comes in little packets.......with or without culantro , with or without achiote etc...................it is seasoning only..........not a boullion

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Montreal North-

Isabelle13-

I was waiting for you to post your location before I responded.

I am kind of surprised that you said you could not find any in Montreal. Did you try Supermarch? Estofa Platos T?picos de la Rep?blica Dominicana on St-Hubert (over Jean-Talon Ouest)? Why don't you call them and ask them- 514-495-4265.

What about Productos Latinos on 4565 B?langer (right on the corner of St. Denis)? Same thing either go there, which I strongly suggest because they have a good variety of Latino products or call them- (514) 721-0902.

I find it hard to believe that you can't get Maggi with the multitude of Latino d?panneurs and small grocery stores in Montreal North.

I personally have not looked for Maggi but have other food needs.

-LDG.

pierods

Sep 22, 2006
Be aware that all cubes in the DR contain MSG, no exception. That may be the "extra Maggi kick".

DOMINCAN BOY

On Vacation!
Jun 6, 2006
Any Help

Hi All

I don't know if I am posting this in the right section but since it is genereal...I will go for it. My husband has just arrived to Canada and we are trying to cook some good dominican food.

He wants Maggi for his cooking. So I suggested we use chicken broth cube but he says they have a kind of Maggi down there that does not tste like poultry or meat but is just seasonning. Does any of you know of a similar product sold in Canada?

Thanks
MAGGI World of Good Food

caro

Sep 24, 2003
for sure they sell at wawa on St-Michel street in the north. if you come from the north is a little bit more south of industrial bould on the right side. you can find almost everything you look for there and great call card.

isabelle13

Mar 8, 2006
Thanks to all who responded (especially Lesley and caro) I will try these places. I did not know there was so many latin store in Mtl Nord being from the suburb but it is worth a ride there.

Feb 7, 2007
to the OP: I just looked at Maggi (or sopita as they are called) and they are all chicken style (caldo de pollo).

Maybe what your husband is looking for is "sazon criollo" which is a powder-type seazoning used here (Ranchero, etc. brand). There is also "sazon liquido" used by Dominicans.