Hd Tv

ada

Feb 2, 2005
I plan to buy a Flat panel LCD HD TV. I am interested in knowing if anyone has one with Aster cable and if so, how is it working out. Someone told me that if the cable provider wasn't good, it was not worth getting the HD. Any suggestions or comments?

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
I don't know about the HD/TV aspect, but

The quality of the service from ASTER in my section of Santiago (I live out on the road to Tamboril ) is best described as marginal to poor.
The reception is not consistant nor really acceptable. The screen is more often "snowy" than clear and of high quality.
I'm not sure if this is caused by people "stealing" the signals by tapping into the transmission service lines or not, but it would appear that is the case.
There are certainly "leaks" someplace.

Texas Bill

Jan 5, 2006
I have to agree with Texas Bill. My house is in a different section of Santiago, but we have the same crappy (poor picture quality) service from Aster. We had one of their techs come to the house and I also paid a different tech on the side, but there was really no improvement. :(

Feb 7, 2007
Aster provides crappy service probably everywhere. Here in Higuey, it's passable, but not that good. I have it because it comes with the rent. But I also pay a competing cable, TV Arcoiris, digital cable, very good reception, it's like night and day compared to Aster. I wouldn't even have Aster connected to my TV/DVR if it was not for some channels that I watch and are not on the digital cable.

It's a real surprise how they can get away with it (Aster). As I said, it was "passable" and it's probably not more crappy than it actually is because of competition from the digital cable who is taking them away lots of customers.

ada

Feb 2, 2005
Does anyone have a different cable company besides Aster? I wouldn't mind trying a different cable company. I live near the new hospital and the reception is not that great here either, but I haven't heard of any other good options.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
Star Cable is alot better, far from perfect but more reliable and at least in my area better reception.

I had both for a while but eventually realised that Aster was basically useless.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Aster sucks. half of the channels don't even come in at all.
AZB

georgios

Oct 2, 2004
HD cable reception in the DR

I plan to buy a Flat panel LCD HD TV. I am interested in knowing if anyone has one with Aster cable and if so, how is it working out. Someone told me that if the cable provider wasn't good, it was not worth getting the HD. Any suggestions or comments?

Your best choise is to get satellite TV. New FTA receivers have HD capability.
LCD flat panel requires pure sine wave input power not modified ( as supplied when using a Trace inverter).

Georgios

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I think you need 2 or more dishes for HD tv and has to have HD tuner built in to the box.
AZB

georgios

Oct 2, 2004
Satellite HD and FTA

I think you need 2 or more dishes for HD tv and has to have HD tuner built in to the box.
AZB

2 dishes are needed;

1 dish for sats 110 & 119 for dishnetwork ( 2 LNB's on offset bracket)
1 dish for sat 91 Nimic for Bell expressvu

Optional dish needed for Echostar 61.5 ( international channels).

Coolsat 8000HD can decode Bell expressvu. The receiver software (bins) can
be downloaded from DSSEVOLUTION for free. Other FTA websites have these bins available for download as well. The Coolsat 8000 cost $425.00 Canadian. A switch is needed to connect/split regular coax cable to receiver. FTA systems have all the channels open.
Dishnetwork can not be decoded for HD ( for now).

Please do not email me for sales. I am located in Toronto, Canada. I am sure
you can source this receiver locally.

Georgios

georgios

Oct 2, 2004
Modified sine wave power for LCD TV

I have put off purchasing an LCD TV for some time because of the very high duty placed on these TVs. Even with the price of a 32 inch LCD in the US dropping into the $600 to $800 US range, the prices here are still in the $2,000 to $3,000 range. That said:

Is anybody successfully using an LCD TV on Trace DR series inverter power?
Trace DR series inverters produce a modified sine wave (a nice name for a noisy square wave) type of output voltage. True sine wave inverters are much more expensive and not required for anything I have now.

I send several emails to major electronic manufacturers ( Sony, AG, Toshiba etc) asking if modified sine wave is OK for their products. All of them replied negatively and noted the warranty is void for cases like this. Sony went on to explain that modified sine wave heats up the circuits and eventually fries the boards. Horizontal lines would also be visible on the screen. The solution is to keep the Trace inverter but add an extra 600-1000 watts pure sine wave mini inverter to feed directly from the batteries and supply power only to the electronics of the house - nothing else.

From the above thread, I see that even if you purchase an FTA receiver, it cannot currently decode HDTV broadcasts.

The Coolsat 8000 can decode the Bell Expressvu signal. I have one my self. The quality is fantastic. Bell Expressvu has movies, sports, PPV, CNN and many other channels.

How is the picture on an HDTV LCD receiver when viewing standard television images ( since there are no HDTV sources available in the DR to my knowledge)?
The picture is a bit better but not HD...

Georgios