sponsoring my spouse

hopeful in Edmonton

Jul 5, 2007
Hi all; my first post ever so be gentle
I married a wonderful Dominican man in April, and spoke to an immigration lawyer yesterday. He said aside from the regular issues and hurdles, the facts that I am older than my spouse and how quickly we married, could pose problems to me sponsoring him to immigrate to Canada. Any advice, tips, or experience you want to share would be greatly appreciated Hope

hopeful in Edmonton

Jul 5, 2007
Other than pictures, phonebills,and our word, I am not sure how to prove the relationship. Funny thing is my spouse assumed I would live there and I really had to work hard to convince him to even try to move here, where the healthcare is much better, and I have an established career. So we must really try to make the interviewers aware that he is certainly not using me as an in to Canada.

isabelle13

Mar 8, 2006
My husband's case was just approved. Your best bet is to have all the proofs of the many trips you made to DR, phone records and pictures. May I ask how long you knew your husband before you married?

hopeful in Edmonton

Jul 5, 2007
Not long but how can someone else judge our feelings met in Jan married in April .... congrats to you Isabelle how long did your case take to finalize? If I have to to I would pack up and move to DR for a year or two just to show legitamacy but I have a home and career here bringing him here would be so much easier. Hope

scotia

Mar 18, 2004
took us 6 or 7 months

I am also older than my husband but had no problems with the process or the interview. The most difficult problem he had was getting his original Domincian birth certifcate. We knew each other for over a year before marrying and have now been married 2.5 years.

You can complete the paperwork yourself. It is much cheaper than hiring a lawyer. In my opinion using a lawyer does not guarantee that you will be more succesful or quicker in getting the visa.

Read the other posts about this subject. They contain lots of great advice and tips. Just make sure you check everything 3 times before you mail it in.

Good luck!

isabelle13

Mar 8, 2006
I agree with Scotia. I did not use a lawyer. You just need to do the parperwork right and send in everything they ask for in the papers. Good luck

hopeful in Edmonton

Jul 5, 2007
an educated guess?

I will just throw this out there, should we submit our application as soon as we complete it or wait another 6 months to a year. That will allow for more visits, phone calls and pictures what is your educated guess? Hope

isabelle13

Mar 8, 2006
Hopeful

I knew my husband 13 months before we married. I had made 7 visits before we married and I made 2 more before the interview in June. We got married in October 2006.

dchenriquez

Jan 26, 2005
Hopeful,

Obviously, the more time you wait before submitting the papers the better. If you could hold off another 6 months before handing them in it may work in your favor. However, having said that, keep in mind it will probably take you about 8 or 9 months to get your answer on your sponsorship.....so if you can wait that long it may be in your best interest. If you take your time doing the paperwork, and really put a lot of thought into what your writing, thats what really helps. They don't know you and they always assume the worst, so you have to prove your case the best you can on paper, with as many details.
Good luck.

hopeful in Edmonton

Jul 5, 2007
thank you dchenriquez, of course I would like to live with my husband now...but it is worth the wait to increase our chances. I was thinking I will hold off for a year if I can. This gives more time for visits, phone calls and pictures; all evidence of our relationship.

I noticed most of the stories on here are positive do we have input from some couples who were refused? I hope they won in the appeal process, how awful that would be to draw out the wait even longer and add to the expense. thank you all who offer advice and share your experience, it is great to have a support network. Hope

dchenriquez

Jan 26, 2005
I know someone from this forum who is in the appeal process. Her husband failed the interview, and they said that they felt they got married to soon after meeting each other. I forget how long they waited. She's in the appeal process now, and hopes it only takes another 3-4 months. So she's been waiting a while.