Vudu in Dominican Republic

bigjuan163usmc

May 18, 2007
I was wondering how many people are estimated to practice Vudu in RD? And I'm not talking about Haitian Dominicans living in RD, but actual Dominicans in RD that practice Vudu. I know it's a very high number and alot of people who proclaim themselves as Catholic actually practice Vudu themselves. I even know some Dominican people who say they are Catholic and yet practice Vudu. She showed me that the two religions are actually very much alike...

...Also, one of my favorite movies, The Serpent and The Rainbow, portrays Vudu in Haiti. Has anyone seen it? I know it is a very fictionalize account but I still found the movie interesting. Half of the movie was filmed in Haiti but after some political issues within the country, the frest of the movie had to be filmed in Dominican Republic...

Jun 5, 2004
Its like a religion. It comes from a mix of Catholic and african believes. Eventhough I dont practiceit or believe in it I think its pretty intresting.

bigjuan163usmc

May 18, 2007
Sorry, but what is Vudu?

Vudu, Vodou, Vodon, Vodoun, Voudou, there are many spellings of the word. Most Americans know it as "Voodoo" but most practicers of the religion don't use this spelling. And yes, I am getting the list of different spellings from wikipedia, and yes, I know wikipedia can be full of **** at times.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
If you ask any Haitian, or even Dominican for that matter, if they practice Vudu, they would look at you askance. Sure, there are books and movies about it, even people who claim to be Vudu priests or priestesses, but there is no such thing as a Vudu religion.

Chichiguita

Dec 30, 2004
I'm not finished reading the site--but it is interesting. There was a thread related to this a couple of weeks ago. I'll look for it.