Calling 829 from US

e.e.

Jan 19, 2007
I'm looking for suggestions for calling cards to the Dominican, specifically to a cell phone with the 829 area code (I've had some trouble with that before). I call most days of the week, and the calls last anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes, more typically the former. I've used Zaptel.com for some time because there is no connection fee or percentage charge, but lately it has been really unreliable (I'm unable to connect, although if I dial directly there's no problem). I'm located in Washington DC, so if there are any local suggestions I'm up for that (there is a large Latin population here, and many tiendas with calling cards that you can't find online). Thanks for any suggestions -

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Indotel

I'm looking for suggestions for calling cards to the Dominican, specifically to a cell phone with the 829 area code (I've had some trouble with that before). I call most days of the week, and the calls last anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes, more typically the former. I've used Zaptel.com for some time because there is no connection fee or percentage charge, but lately it has been really unreliable (I'm unable to connect, although if I dial directly there's no problem). I'm located in Washington DC, so if there are any local suggestions I'm up for that (there is a large Latin population here, and many tiendas with calling cards that you can't find online). Thanks for any suggestions -

Indotel did not register the 829 area code correctly, it is recognised by all the direct dial carriers, but a lot of the prepay cards don't recognise it, including ATT, I have an ATT card from walmart, and when I use it they tell me its not a valid area code, talk to the help? desk in India, and they will tell you that the only valid code is 809. Again this was a problem when INDOTEL registered the access usage of that area code. If you do find a prepaid card that works, and you also call 809 you will notice a rate difference

Feb 7, 2007
Bienamor, kindly don't put as "certain" and talk about things you've not gotten the least idea about, ok? :)

Indotel has nothing to do with 829 area code registration.

1-NPA- area codes are assigned by NANP (North American Numbering Plan Administration)

The NANP has all proper information about the 829 area code.

NPA Code Search Information

Below are the search results for NPA: 829

General Information

Type of Code: General Purpose Code
Is this code assignable: Yes
If not, why:
Geographic(G)
or non-geographic(N): G
If non-geographic, usage:
Is this code reserved for future use: No
Is this code assigned: Yes
Is this code in use: Y
In service date: 08/01/2005
Planning Letter(s): 345 338

Geographic Code information

For a map of this NPA, please consult this planning letter:
Time Zone: E
Parent: 809
Is this an overlay code: Yes
Overlay Complex: 809/829
Jeopardy: No
Relief Planning in Progress: No
Dialing Plan for this NPA Standard Permissive
Home NPA Local Calls: 10D NA
Foreign NPA Local Calls: 10D NA
Home NPA Toll Calls: 1+10D NA
Foreign NPA Toll Calls: 1+10D

NANPA SERACH PAGE: Number Administration System
NANPA MAIN WEB: NANPA : North American Numbering Plan Administration

Where the problem lies is in the ROUTING TABLES of long distance carriers (and calling card providers) and the underlying carriers (the carriers that carry the calls). The problem is the 1829 code is misisng in the routing table at some point, so the call does not get completed. It is a (relatively) new code and some carriers simply take a long time to update their routing tables and many are lazy to do it even if the underlying carriers send them 5000+ codes routing tables every week with updated codes and rates... but someone has to work and put it in the system... and some people are just too lazy.

Routing tables are made to route calls via the cheapest underlying carriers, who in turn use their routing tables to route calls to the terminating/destination carriers, etc.

Routing table is something like this (simple model)

UK Proper *** 44 ****** $0.010 *** route to Global Crossing ** Prioroty 1
UK Proper *** 44 ****** $0.012 *** route to MCI ********** Priority 2
UK London ** 4420 ***** $0.009 *** rote to LondonVOIP ***** Priority 1
UK London ** 4420 ***** $0.010 *** route to Global Crossing ** Priority 2
DR Proper *** 1809 ***** $0.040 *** route to FiberCom ****** Prioroty 1
DR Mobile *** 1809966 ** $0.090 *** route to FiberCom ****** Priority 1
DR Mobile *** 1809776 ** $0.088 *** route to VoipCell ******* Priority 1

These routing tables are very complex and many times have 5000+ codes. For example, the DR codes and subcodes (1-NPA-NXX) in routing tables usually have 100+ lines.

So that's what's going on.

Yours,
former Executive VP and Co-Owner, unnamed telecom company

Last edited:

laspinas76

Jun 13, 2006
829 from US

e.e.
I use VIP communications and I can call 829 or 809 their rates are not bad. No access fee and you don't need to get any calling card. You just need to dial the phone number to call long distance. I am also from Washington DC.
Good luck. PM me if you want the information..

Last edited:

dottie123

Jun 6, 2007
829 from the US:

I have been callling from the US for a few months. I do not know if this will help you but I have Verizon phone service. I have a local/long distance package plan. For an extra $4.00 a month you can pick one international area code and pay 14 cents each minute per call. They also give you a $3.99 credit each month . So you are really just paying the 14 cents per min.

D...123

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Former Tech with several telcoms.

Bienamor, kindly don't put as "certain" and talk about things you've not gotten the least idea about, ok? :)

Indotel has nothing to do with 829 area code registration.

1-NPA- area codes are assigned by NANP (North American Numbering Plan Administration)

The NANP has all proper information about the 829 area code.

NPA Code Search Information

Below are the search results for NPA: 829

General Information

Type of Code: General Purpose Code
Is this code assignable: Yes
If not, why:
Geographic(G)
or non-geographic(N): G
If non-geographic, usage:
Is this code reserved for future use: No
Planning Letter(s): 345 338

Geographic Code information

For a map of this NPA, please consult this planning letter:
Time Zone: E
Jeopardy: No
Relief Planning in Progress: No
Dialing Plan for this NPA Standard Permissive
Home NPA Local Calls: 10D NA
Foreign NPA Local Calls: 10D NA
Home NPA Toll Calls: 1+10D NA
Foreign NPA Toll Calls: 1+10D

NANPA SERACH PAGE: Number Administration System
NANPA MAIN WEB: NANPA : North American Numbering Plan Administration

Where the problem lies is in the ROUTING TABLES of long distance carriers (and calling card providers) and the underlying carriers (the carriers that carry the calls). The problem is the 1829 code is misisng in the routing table at some point, so the call does not get completed. It is a (relatively) new code and some carriers simply take a long time to update their routing tables and many are lazy to do it even if the underlying carriers send them 5000+ codes routing tables every week with updated codes and rates... but someone has to work and put it in the system... and some people are just too lazy.

Routing tables are made to route calls via the cheapest underlying carriers, who in turn use their routing tables to route calls to the terminating/destination carriers, etc.

Routing table is something like this (simple model)

UK Proper *** 44 ****** $0.010 *** route to Global Crossing ** Prioroty 1
UK Proper *** 44 ****** $0.012 *** route to MCI ********** Priority 2
UK London ** 4420 ***** $0.009 *** rote to LondonVOIP ***** Priority 1
UK London ** 4420 ***** $0.010 *** route to Global Crossing ** Priority 2
DR Proper *** 1809 ***** $0.040 *** route to FiberCom ****** Prioroty 1
DR Mobile *** 1809966 ** $0.090 *** route to FiberCom ****** Priority 1
DR Mobile *** 1809776 ** $0.088 *** route to VoipCell ******* Priority 1

These routing tables are very complex and many times have 5000+ codes. For example, the DR codes and subcodes (1-NPA-NXX) in routing tables usually have 100+ lines.

So that's what's going on.

Yours,
former Executive VP and Co-Owner, unnamed telecom company

Your correct on the routing tables, and on the registration, by the NANP, (used to be Bell Labs,Luciet). But INDOTEL does have to get out the dates, when it going into affect, what type of NPA plan it is such as overlay, or split, this is the part that was not done correctly, was done incounty, but not communicated elsewhere. Also some of the calling card companys do not recognize it, or have just it blocked, as they do the 809 due to fraud. Which is the reason that PR, and US VI applied for their own area codes.

Feb 7, 2007
Well, as far as I see, everything is pretty well laid out, start date is also in:

It's the lazy people working for carriers that are supposed to manage/update routing tables that are at fault.

If the 829 was made "in-country" than it would not be at NANP.

Because NANP has all correct information, it is the carriers' fault they are not revising the information.

I would be surprised if the major underlying carriers failed to have it included. But many smaller calling card companies don't bother inputting in 5000+ lines of rates and routes.

Anyhow, there are tools for any carrier to be kept abrest of code changes and new routes and codes. Arbinet's AccessRate is one of the examples.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
I have been callling from the US for a few months. I do not know if this will help you but I have Verizon phone service. I have a local/long distance package plan. For an extra $4.00 a month you can pick one international area code and pay 14 cents each minute per call. They also give you a $3.99 credit each month . So you are really just paying the 14 cents per min.

D...123
Does the 14 cents apply cell phones as well as land lines?