Billfish Season Action - Offshore Punta Cana

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Posted below is email and photos I received from Mike's Marina based in Punta Cana. I asked them to send me some info, as I know we have a few fishermen on the board.

They are a first class outfit and I have only heard good things about them.

Websites:
Mikes Marina
Flyfishing for Billfish

Email: Mike@MikesMarina.info

------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Rob,

With over 7 months of Bill fish season every year, the east coast of the Dominican Republic, fishing offshore Punta Cana, counts within the top 5 of the worlds best Billfish areas and we can hardly be beaten by any other destination for our white Marlin Season. We get white marlin close to the coast, just 2- 10 nmls offshore and in big numbers.

Mike's Marina Fishing Charters S.A., has been fishing local waters for over 13 years now and are the top notch outfit for professional sport fishing and Billfish on any tackle weight.

We target white marlin on light tackle, Penn gear 20-50lbs and also on the fly, fly fishing tackle 12 wt, local record taken May 5th 2007 with a 100lbs white Marlin on a 12 wt fly fishing tackle (Florida's white marlin record on the fly is 68lbs and was taken on bigger tackle 20wt).

We offer pro sport fishing with a 5 star charter service, including transportation from all hotels on the east coast, professional English speaking crews etc. Fishermen will see after a few minutes on board why we are called pro's. Of course all sport fishing customers who book a full package, fishing plus lodging will be taken care of by the owner, me, that starts with the airport pick up by me myself (Mike).

Sportfishing on the Dominican east coast still needs to be better promoted, but Canadian, US and South American sport fishing professionals found us and come back every year several times, that's why we host every year ESPN's Caribbean Billfish tourney, have own reports sections on the world wide fishing guide and are recommended by top fishermen like Jerry La Bella, the sportfishermen.com pro board aso.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Capt. Rob57

Mar 22, 2006
Yea, but check out the cost hardly for a middle class person. When i checked around 1,500 dollars. I would love to go but, just can't afford that kind of expence. Hell I would go once per month if the rates were better. Even said I live here and could stay in a cheap hotel. It is only for wealthy tourists.
SORRY. I would love to go.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Go on the "Split Charter" for $90. They fill the boat up with a few groups of anglers.
t'

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
It's not for everyone, but for a bunch of guys on vacation, that's peanuts.

How about adding on a few rounds of golf at Punta Espada (Cap Cana) for $300+ a pop :)

Personally, I think it's wonderful and love to see tourists that come here and spend, they are just so much better for the country than a US$500 for 2 weeks crowd in an AI.

ryalso

May 31, 2006
I've been to the DR several times, always the North Coast. Even fished out of Puerto Plata. 45' Chris, nice guys, worn but servicable tackle and they worked very hard and did everything right, just no fish that day. I've asked this question before about Samana and was dicouraged by the percieved corruption of authorities in the area and the difficulty one would have leaving and entering port even on a regular basis. In fact one reply by a well respected and long time board member and gentelman who once kept a boat there said it became just too big a hassel. Anyway, does anybody know about year round private docking availability in the Punta Cana area for a small sport fish and what the cost might be. And would I expect the same kinds of hassels from the authorities out of there as Samana? I know that Ocean World is asking $0.80 per foot per day, which while more than I'd want to spend I could live with but I know the fishing is much better on the East Coast having fished out of Rincon PR a few years back. Nothing comercial, simply for private use several times a year.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
and i don't know where he found the $1.500.- rate.
the most expensive ride is $990.- for the whole day 8hrs at the moment, including everything and returning customers anyways have their own rates.i have guys from florida, virgin islands, philli aso coming in at least once-twice a month during billfish season, they even get their AI lodging free from me included in their rate.
have fun on this great island

Capt. Rob57

Mar 22, 2006
As far as boat dockage goes. At Club de Haina after you join it cost around 60 pesos per foot per month. Not bad for a private club with with fresh water pool great rest. 24 hour security etc. In Boca Chica there is a new High and Dry depending on size but my 22 footer is around 200 dollars per month. Oh, the price at Haina is for my boat in the water you can keep it on a trailer cheaper.

gringo1

Feb 23, 2007
Ryalso
A good oprion for keeping a boat on the north coast is Luperon, west of Puerta Plata. Its a natural hurricane hole with two marinas and about a hundred sailboats anchored in the bay. Puerta Blanca marina is your best bet. Fuel is easy to get(always filter) and its pretty secure. The boating community keeps a pretty good eye on things and some guys do boatwatching services for those who need to leave their rig unattended. The fishing out of Luperon is good, white marlin, dorado, wahoo, tuna and good bottom fishing very clo9se to shore. I fished on my sportfish for a couple of years out of Luperon and enjoyed it. I can?t recommend oceanworld because of the incredible surge inthe basin. It has been known to snap docklines. Samana can be a hassle to check in and out, however, one can get a spot on the gov?t dock with twenty four our security, diesel and gasoline for cheap. A little bit of a roll, but cheap and secure. Some great fishing outside the bay around Cabo Samana and the north side of Hourglass shoals.
As for eating marlin, many of us who like to fish for marlin practice catch and release, and though I?ve caught marlin from Florida to Venezuela, I?ve never eaten one, but yes, they are edible. But mahi is a better choice simply because they breed much younger and mature incredibly fast!! Tight lines!!

Sep 19, 2005
I also dont see where the $1500 number comes from...it looks like a $1,050 price for a full 8 hours....the boat is all yours with yourself or a bunch of your friends( I am sure there has to be a limit to the number.) the boat looks huge, if that is the boat they always use. that price INCLUDES the ITBIS of 16% so the real price is only $882....!!!!!!! think about the diesel that rig uses for 8 hours of motoring!!!!!!!!!!! My brother in law has a 32" foot luhrs sport boat.....very similar and it cost him about $300 in gas to run it..( he has 2 300 hp outboards on his!!!!!) with the full day charter you get all your beverages and pick up and drop off from your hotel....makes life easy for a vacationer who wants life EASY.....when he is taking it EASY!!!!!!!!

the tuna boats on the new england coast that offer similar trips are at least that or more!!!!!!!!!!

thanks for the links.......it doesnt have to be for everyone, just like where is the best place to pick up the most putas,...... isnt for everyone.

absorb the info you want, let the rest fall to the floor.. ha ha ha

bob

what i personally dont like about the big game fishing....is MAYBE...just MAYBE...the boat catches ONE FISH all day.....some times it is no fish!!!!!!!!

Id rather have more action on smaller gamefish.....and make sure everyone on the boat gets in on the action.......... thats why I never go on the tuna trips......

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
first of all:
those dock rates are for the stuf in haina, forget about that on the east coast.
a 42ft'er costs you a 700+ a month here.
for the fishies:
basically the fishes are owned by the crew, of cuorse for a couple of bucks you get them cleaned and the cookie of your resort will serve it for you.
to the trailer stuff:
you would need your own property where you leave your boat on a trailer, there's no marina around on the entire east coast where you could do so.
Mike

Capt. Rob57

Mar 22, 2006
Well, i simple don't know then. I had a boat in the club in monte cristi cost me about the same. In bani in front of the hotel about the same. If you want to stay in a resort buyer beware. It seems to me that everyone is just trying to make money not give info. There are lots of places here cheap but, you have to be smart leave the GRINGO at home. Don't be stupid. Forget about asking a Dominican anything use your own sence. If it walks like a duck it is a duck. DAMN.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Ryalso,
if you want to leave a boat on the east coast you should take the Punta Cana Marina, located and owned by the Punta Cana Resort&Club, 5 minutes from the punta cana airport. gib game fishing grounds are ver close and you have possibilities for light tackle fishing in shallow waters nearby too.
fishing out of Rincon puerto rico is also great, fishing the same waters than we do, my friend Frank Anderson is fishing with his 32ft'er "Island Time" from there, at the moment he is here in punta cana for a 2 weeks visit. to enter customs here at the punta cana marina is hassle free. contact him by phone, so he can give you all the info by his own experience, he is here with his boat several times a year.
dominican cell phone: 809-499-0547
phone in puerto rico: 767-823-3059
have fun
Mike

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
to the point keeping th fish.
basically the catch will be sold by the crew to make extra money, but for a tip of course they leave it to you, they clean it for you and prepare the filets ready for the BBQ.
please talk to your hotel restaurant's chef prior to fishing to find out that he will cook it for you. most resorts do so, some not. you can also get your fish prepared at capitan cooks, our neighbour on the beach, they cash you just 8-10 dollars per person, for that they prepare your fish including salads/sideplates, just drinks have to be paid extra. for that just talk to my crews or beach staff, you won't need a prior reservation to get a nice table on my neighbours beach restaurant.
have fun
Mike

Sep 19, 2005
mike seems like your answer is is yes and no.

first you say that the crew sells the catch to make extra money for themselves, and then they would expect a tip on top of that...

then later you say that you can yhave your catch prepared for you to eat by the hotel.

do you actually have to BUY your catch back from the crew????

I have heard of loccal rules, but that is getting extreme

I know when you go on a tuna run off the new england coats if someone catches a giant tuna it used to belong to the boat.....but some many people started to stop going with those captans, when a few started to offer to split the catch of giant tuna with the guy paying for the trip.....that now it is more common that it is split.

imagine you pay the captain $1K to take you out... and youcatch a huge tuna worth $5-10K, and the captain says...nope thats mine????

Id tell him...just take your self next time captain!!!

bob

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I know this is not the way it works in Montauk.
If you catch it, it's yours!

Is it customary to tip the mate for cleaning your fish, of course.
Would it be a nice jesture to give the mate a few Tuna steaks as well yes.

I surely would not want to be told by the captain that the fish are his!

Just my RD.02!

tambo'

PS: I worked on a 55' Hatteras for 3 summers @ MYC.

Sep 19, 2005
Tambo...ask around about how it was 15 to 20 years ago on the charters for giant tuna.....it was standard the "boat" kept the big fish.....I am not talking bonita or 80 lbs yellow fins........the "boat" only kept the giant tuna....because the japanese were buying everything they could get their hands on as soon as the boat docked!!!

bob

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
The issue here is what is the right thing for Mike to do in 2007 with customer caught fish, not what was done in 1987 with the Japanese.

I will inquire next weekend about The Giant Tuna of 1987 at the marina for historical nostalgia for you.

tambo'