I need assistance from the board members - please

Florie

Jun 21, 2006
I am arriving to Santo Domingo next week. I am asking for suggestions
(website/wmail address) of a clean, safe, and inexpensive hotel. I am teacher and money is not abundant at this time. Price range will be appreciated.
When I arrive at the airport, is there mini-vans that take several tourists and drop them by location or only taxis? What is the cost from the airport to the hotel that will be suggested here? Do they (taxi/hotel) accept american money? Where are the safest places to exchange money? Is cash better to use than a credit card. I heard while using a credit card that the number is stolen and it is not a safe method.
The plan is to stay in SD for a couple of days and head towards Sosua. Is there guaguas or mini vans that make the route? What is the cost? How long does it take? I am fluent in Spanish so the language will not be a barrier.
If there is information that it will be helpful to make my vacation flow easily and safely please let me know. Thank you in advance.

DAKRA

Bronze
Feb 21, 2007
You've come to the right place

I sent you a PM to answer most of your questions. But don't get ripped off by a taxi driver at the SDQ Airport. Rates will go from $30 USD to $35 USD for a taxi ride.

Use American Money at the airport for the taxi, tourist card only. Then use pesos. It is not hard to convert and you will "fit-in" better and not appear to be a tourist.

Ok to use the Big Bank ATMs - Most smaller Hotels (Not the BIG Chains) like it if you pay cash when you check-out (Pesos) and a couple encourage it by giving a 5% discount.

PM me for any questions.

Have a good trip!

:squareeye

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
The plan is to stay in SD for a couple of days and head towards Sosua. Is there guaguas or mini vans that make the route? What is the cost? How long does it take? I am fluent in Spanish so the language will not be a barrier.
Caribe Tours would be a much better option.
Safer, cheaper and faster.
Caribe Tours C. Por A.
Leaving Santo Domingo for Sosua at 6:00 7:00 8:00 9:00 10:00 11:00 AM & Noon 1:00 2:00 3:00 4:00 5:00 6:00 7:00 PM

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
PM me for any questions.

Have a good trip!

:squareeye

It would be way nicer for questions to be openly discussed on the board - then others can learn from the answers.

Florrie, the Santo Domingo crowd can answer in terms of hotels and how to get from the airport into SD. I've seen people suggest on the board to walk out of the airport and as soon as you get out, there is a bunch of transportation that you can take ... I've not done this myself and I'm not sure if I would do it even now, arriving in a new country. It is way safer to take a taxi from the airport to your hotel.

For getting to Sosua, Caribbetours as Rocky said. It is cheap, safe and quick.

Florie

Jun 21, 2006
I appreciate the information offered here. I am still hoping for a recomendation on a clean, safe, centrally located horel in SD. I prefer to leave here with an idea if the hotel has an available room than ask the "crowd" at the airport and travel around searching for a room. It is a preference and I appreciate the suggestion. Thank you Rocky for the tip on using Caribe tours and the schedule ~~~You are wonderful!~~~~

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
Hotel Mercure in the CZ had rooms online at $44U.S. a nite and that included breakfast

Florie

Jun 21, 2006
To Pyratt:

Perfect pyratt! Thank you for taking the time to respond. Off I go to find the website. Cuidate!

Florie

Jun 21, 2006
To Pryatt and other readers:

FYI: The Hotel Mercure is not found using google and other search engines. When searching for Hotel Mercure I pulled other unrelated info such as mercure issues in the water of DR.

dymmach

Feb 9, 2007
When arriving in SDQ airport, I found its a little cheaper ( $5-$10 less) to go upstairs to the ( Departure area )and find a taxi. You will be swarmed by hacks at the arrival section, quite intimidating but it only last a few minutes.
Average rate to the capital $25-$35 US.
On a budget, I would strongly suggest Hotel Mercure $44.00 per nite if booked on line in advance also its non refundable. The Hotel is located in the Colonial Zone on a promenade called El conde. Its safe, clean, and close to a few attractions.
There are a few cambios located in the immediate area just shop around for the best rate but ( NEVER EXCHANGE VIA PERSON TO PERSON ).
Caribe tours is your best bet to go up North. Its about 4-6 hrs depending on traffic and the bus will be freeeeeeeeezing. just my 2 cents.

mspattya

Oct 2, 2006
iF YOU ARE STILL LOOKING FOR A REALLY NICE HOTEL IN sANTO dOMINGO CHECK OUT THE HOTEL ATRAZANA IN ZONA COLONIAL. IF YOU CALL OR EMAIL THEM THEY WILL HAVE A TAXI FOR YOU AT THE AIRPORT. I CAN RECCOMEND THIS HOTEL HIGHLY.Http://www.hotel-atarazana.com/

Florie

Jun 21, 2006
Thank you Lafybird - I have sent an e-mail to HotelMaison last night and waiting for a response.
Dymmach - I apreciate your "2 cents" and everything else. Hotel Maison mentions on the website that they pick up at the airport. I have not received a response (anxiously waiting) from them to find out what is their cost. I will share the information for others that might be reading now or in the future. Is the $25/35 for a taxi to Maison per person (I am traveling with my son) or for the taxi? Thank you for your suggestion we are packing a light jacket for the ride in Caribe Cruise. We are also taking several bottles of water for the fisrt night that we get there. I read the water cannot touch your lips or pay the consequences. Is this a mosquito season? I am planning on taking a repellent, but I am wondering if I should double the qty. Once arriving at Sosua, I am thinking of staying at Rockys, are any of you familiar with the place? Is this better than Hotel Colibri and why?
Thank you to all you to take the time to respond. I appreciate it. Blessings to all!!!

Florie

Jun 21, 2006
Mspattya: Thank you for the recomendation. Sent an e-mail also to Hotel Arazarana. I have read and please correct me if I am misinformed that the Zona Colonial is a tough (high crime or higher than...) area.
One question that I have not proposed, is Hotel Maison or Arazarana in a section where there is women working the streets?

Florie

Jun 21, 2006
Thank you Ladybird and Dymmach. I appreciate the 2 cents and everything else. I have contacted Hotel Maison and so far no response. They also mention on their website that they pick up from the airport. I asked for a quote. One question, is this the mosquito season?

Chris_NJ

Bronze
Dec 17, 2003
I don't know much about Santo Domingo but needed to stay there for one night last week. We put our faith in a taxi driver who we asked to take us to a decent but inexpensive hotel. He took us to a place that I think was called Mansion Primaveral which I was pleasantly surprised to be 900 pesos per night, the AC worked well, the room was clean with 2 beds, and was in an ok area. I am not sure what neighborhood it was it but it was a short walk to where all the big Juan Bosch pictures were and el Conde.

I just googled it and it may be called Hostal Primaveral La Mansion - 809-686-5562.

dymmach

Feb 9, 2007
Safe?

The Colonial Zone is as safe as most major cities through out the world. The have police along with tourist police, pretty much every where. Many historical monuments, shops and resturants within walking distance. As long as you follow the universal rules of travelling such as don't travel at night alone, stay clear of dark areas, and dont flash cash or valubles you should be okay. If you want a taste of the culture then Hotel Arazana is great. If your just going stay inside and rest then Hotel Maison might be better. But keep in mind you'll have to take taxis everywhere from Maison. The area is reasonable safer but nothing to do in the immediate area.
Working girls hmmm! They are working girls in the Colonia Zone, but they are discreet. They don't stand on corners flagging people down and they don't really dress provocative, you probaly won't even recognize them.

Florie

Jun 21, 2006
FYI: For others viewing here. I received an e-mail from HOTEL ATRAZANA and they are asking for $90 for queen size bed and a small bed. This is more than I am hoping to pay. I am now researching for the website contact info for Hostal Primaveral La Mansion and Hotel Arazana.

Thank you Chris and Dimmach!

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Ive stayed at the Mercure. ( Hotel Mercure Comercial Santo Domingo: book your Mercure hotel in SANTO DOMINGO ) It's another place with small, but clean, decently appointed rooms. The breakfast buffet is great. I got a webrate of about $60 including all taxes recently. One of the best (and still very reasonable) authentic Dominican restaurants in SD, Meson di Bari, is less than a block away on the same street as the hotel (Calle Hostos) and the restaurant across from the front door (on hostos) is very good also...and inexpensive too! It's also a couple of blocks from Parque Colon and the Hard Rock Cafe.

As mentioned above, the Colonial Zone is not particularly dangerous and the working girls are not overtly obvious...and it is really an amazing area...the oldest city in the Americas...

DAKRA

Bronze
Feb 21, 2007
Just a Bit More....

Mosquitos? - Not really in SD - You should be OK, but always play it smart and if you have some "Off" or other Repellant, wear it.....

Working Girls? - Yep, they are in lots of places.... but very discreet. In SD on Avenue Indepencia (back of the Jaragua Hotel) lots working there at night but this is usually after dark so not too much to worry about.

Taxi Cost? - The cost for a taxi is normally for you and your son. If you have a bags, that is ok too. The cost still should be $30 - $35 for the BOTH of you.

Now.... I have stayed at the Maison Gautreaux many times and I know the owner well - Just for all of those who are viewing this post, the way it works Normally is if you make a reservation with his hotel from an outside website, they require that you leave a credit card deposit equal to 1 nights room rate (Normally about $40 - $50) then when you arrive, you first night is paid and you just pay for the reamining nights upon check-out. The outside website vendor who runs the reservation system keeps that first night for (advertising the hotel and booking the room) - My suggestion to all is if you want a good deal, the email the owner of the hotel directly and he will respond to you within a reasonable time (normally 24 - 48 hours) and he will book you into his system personally and give a good rate. Take it from me (one who is always looking for a bargain) that this is a damn good deal for lodging in the SD area.

Also - If staying at the Maison Gautreaux, and you want a taxi to pick you up at the airport, you can email the owner of the hotel and he may try to arrange pick up for you, but he does not own or control the taxi. Best to get a taxi-driver's name and telephone from DR1 members who is trusting and reliable and will be there waiting for you:::: OR just grab one who is outside...

Have a Good, Safe and Memorable Trip!

DAKRA:glasses: