Okay Rob, get that grin off your face :-)

singletravel

Oct 13, 2003
I'm thinking of taking my girlfriend to the Philippines. It is one country where she doesn't need a visa and is a very curious lady (ya ya Rob, I'm pussy whipped, what can I say) and I think it would be fun. But dam, how do I go sdq --- Mnl without spending a fortune (i'm in love but not totally stupid). Of course she can't connect in the U.S. and I can't find a good and simple path to Manila?

Anyone with some ideas would be appreciate and if I do this my apartment in Ctg is open for late Sept (you read it first here Robert).

singletravel

SamanaJon

Jun 20, 2007
Long way to MNL

Why can't your girlfriend travel through the USA as a transit passenger? This can be done via JFK on China or Thai for around $970 USD, but I recommend Singapore for as little as $1075 (all fares are + tax, fees) to MNL. These do not include SDQ-JFK portion. try using www.farecompare.com..pretty user friendly. Other option is via Montreal and buying an air only DR-Montreal ticket on a charter.

If you are hell bent traveling to the other side of the globe, go for it. If not, why not Ecuador or better yet Colombia, visa not need for Dominican. She may enjoy either place better, due to the Latin culture. Both are great places to visit. Good luck.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
There are no more transit visas in the U.S. She would have to get a regular Visa. Don't waste your time. There are other routes. The European Union lets you change planes without a Visa. In fact I know of no other country in the world, other than the US that you can't do this.

LuvtheDR

Apr 4, 2004
Other option is via Montreal and buying an air only DR-Montreal ticket on a charter.

I could be totally wrong here....but I don't think a DR-Montreal on a charter will work if they aren't Canadian citizens. That is if you are talking about a "one-way" from DR to Mtl.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
my apartment in Ctg is open for late Sept (you read it first here Robert).

Now I'm motivated :)

DR - Europe - Asia - Europe - DR.

That was easy :)

I think the Philippines would flip here mind, no pun intended.

It's not going to be cheap, but hey, it's your girlfriend, your in love and only live once. Plus Apple went up $3 and change today, that more than covers your tickets ;)

singletravel

Oct 13, 2003
Yes, the U.S. is out as a transit passenger, otherwise it would be easy:glasses:

So what is the routing through Europe ?? A pain and how expensive ?? She is spoiled, has been to Cartagena twice already and now wants to flex her wings (with my pocket book :))

Rob, i told you to buy apple ten years ago, if you would have listened you'd own half of SD;)

Last edited:

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
You have a ton of options flying from the DR to Europe.
My guess is you are going to pay $1500-1800 for a round trip ticket.
Iberia, Martinair, Air Europa, Air France etc fly to Europe.

Air France will fly you to Thailand from the DR for $1500 + taxes.

Yes it will be a bit of a pain, but life could be worse :)

SamanaJon

Jun 20, 2007
Learning..

Thanks for the info. I have learned something new, no more transit passengers via USA. That's wonderful. With over 1000 illegals crossing our southern border, it is hard to believe how Homeland Security thinks.

Anyway back to the issue at hand... POP-Munich, Dusseldorf (or even El Catey) may be your best bet, then onward to MNL. Perhaps, it may be easier to find a new girlfriend...(just kidding)...your are a generous fellow..

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Take her to Buenos Aires, Argentina instead. Easy for her to go to, no Visa necessary, great city. Like NY, only for a fraction of the price. Some of the finest restaurants in the world.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
These are the same guys who buy their girlfriends a SUV and a fancy house. Then the guy goes back to his country and the chica sleeps with barrio tigres. Some guys just won't learn.
AZB

Jan 5, 2006
These are the same guys who buy their girlfriends a SUV and a fancy house. Then the guy goes back to his country and the chica sleeps with barrio tigres. Some guys just won't learn.
AZB
It's not our money, so why should we care?

Let the man pay for all the fun he wants, as long as he's doing it with his money!

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
AZB

AZB, I know the guy personally and his girlfriend.

Sometimes you need to engage brain before opening mouth, especially when you don't know the person :)

visitador02

Jul 16, 2007
One world

Back to the original question. The easiest way in my opinion is to fly Iberia to Madrid, change plane to another Iberia flight to Amsterdam, then take Cathay Pacific's flight to Hong Kong. Btw, Dominicans can stay in Hong Kong without a visa. From Hong Kong, you can go to Manila, which is an hour away.

If you really want to get her more excited, why don't take her to Japan? Dominicans don't need a visa to go there too.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Ok, I have another idea. Get to europe from Iberia, air europa, air france or whatever and then change over to Gulf air. Now you guys will get a free 1 day stay in either dubai or bahrain, free stay in a nice hotel with good meal and then fly over to your final destination. I bet she will love dubai.
AZB

nat99

Jul 18, 2007
Via easter Island?

Expensive but possibly a One World - Around the World Ticket - Lan Chile - Punta Cana - Santiago (Chile) - Easter Island - Papeete - NZ - I'm trying to work out how to get semana from Australia for a wedding without going via the states & I'll either do that or go to Europe to fly out of Germany...just an idea..

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
To say that singletravel knows what is available in the Philippines would be the understatement of the century!! The fact that he is planning to take his girl there (and has already taken her to Cartegena) says something for her to be sure.

singletravel

Oct 13, 2003
Have you been to Cartagena??

There are even more women than the Philippines, but its fun being with the one you care about (plus keeps you at out big time trouble):glasses::glasses: