Antony Santos and my huge ego

something_of_the_night

Has left the building...
Feb 7, 2006
"I should not talk so much about myself if there were anybody else whom I knew as well." And with that declaration from the "Economy" section of Walden, Henry David Thoreau answered some of his critics 150 years ago.

Of Joe Morgan, the Big Red Machine spark plug of the mid-70s, it was said that he could answer a simple question with a five-minute lecture, and that it still made perfect sense to the listener.

So, no, Antony Santos was not just great. But/and it is my story.

I also know that compelling an audience is risky business. "You don't tell me what to read."

As luck (ha ha!) would have it, The Kid's on-call the weekend starting on Friday the 13th, and El Mayimbe is in town. Finally. But the promoters should've said early Saturday morning, for it was 1:00 AM when he finally came out to face the jam-packed place. Such is the life of famous Dominican performers - (desde que se inventaron las escusas...) they can show up any ol' time they want.

On-call. Left hand inside pocket to feel the vibrations - clubs are too loud for ringers. Left-hand drinker; Heineken and Heineken Light at the insistence of a dear friend whom The Kid hasn't seen in at least eight years, but he truly loves the dude, well, everyone does. So, he convinces The Kid on the Light choice. No chance in switching phone to right-hand pocket, which is only used for single car key. By the way, light beer is like decaffeinated coffee: What's the point?

"Did it go off and didn't feel it while I was drinking?" The Kid checks it periodically.

And his watch. Co?o, pero a que hora e' que ese diablo va sal??

Anticipation, anticipation
Is making me late
Is keeping me waiting

Oh, how The Kid loves that '70s chick (and Chiri, too)! But are these the good old days? What if the call comes in as The Mayimbe is about to start?

Just three weeks ago, The Kid was in the company of another dear friend and he totally forgot the one performance he had longed for all his boring adult life.

Yes, he knew the man and the voice that gave us "Canadian Railroad Trilogy" and "Carefree Highway" was to perform that night in Houston, and he had planned to go. But The Kid forgot. The Kid from Higuey had envisioned singing along to all the tunes and impress the gringo audience, but... Sorry, Gordon.

The Mariposa Festival had him on schedule, but maybe a future Massey Hall appearance in shad's home turf would bring The Kid up for the first-ever semi-reunion of the great minds of DR1 (the past separate meetings with Chiri and Indie do not count - they were outmatched).

But there was no way The Kid was going to miss Antony Santos. Not now. Not ever. "Me muero por ti" was all The Kid wanted to hear. Well, not all, but considering that he knows every inflection of El Mayimbe's voice, every hiccup, and every shout-out all? en Providencia, there was no chance The Kid would miss the performance. On-call. No calls. Yet.

People-watching is a favorite pastime, and with a young Dominican crowd, the night would not disappoint. The happy people of the DR. The natural arrogance in display was counter-balanced by The Kid's Alexey Karamazovesque humility. Unless El Mayimbe sings my song.

The concert came and went, and no calls, y no me muero ni por ti ni por nadie. The Kid was not disappointed, but he surely wanted to hear that tune, a tune he can do better than Santos himself. Nino, The Kid's good friend from Monte Cristi, and a friend of a friend of a Santos bandmate, made it all worthwhile. We met THE MAN as he was departing, sexy ladies by his side. The not-so-photogenic Kid refused group pictures with the man and Nino and his beautiful wife. But a good time was had by all.

3:20 AM. The old and trusted, beaten-up Honda starts with no problems.

3:21 AM. "This is Jose, may I help you?"

"Jose, are you the on-call person for the Houston area? If so, we need you to go..."

Indie

Bronze
Nov 15, 2002
Did Mr. Santos sing "Voy P'Alla?"

(I forget how to spell that song, but I know how to dance it.)

something_of_the_night

Has left the building...
Feb 7, 2006
Does he sing only bachata?

No.

My favorite A. Santos tune is a merengue: "Yo me muero por ti" - an ass-kicking, hard-breathing, MamIndie's hips-gyrating, hard-driving, perspiration-producing, perversion-enticing, end-of-innocence and trance-inducing, and hedonistic Super Bowl-winning touch-down of a tour de force.

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
I like merengue too, but have never been to a live concert. Your description was very interesting.

something_of_the_night

Has left the building...
Feb 7, 2006
I like merengue too, but have never been to a live concert. Your description was very interesting.

Well, young lady, merengue is overrated, especially today's brand, with its really stupid mambos, which is written with the Dom-Yorks in mind.

-The Kid
The final arbiter of all things cool

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
Agree, merengue is overrated, but this is the only Latin music I can actually dance to. I really like listening reggeaton. This is my favorite in addition to RAI at this point.

something_of_the_night

Has left the building...
Feb 7, 2006
I much prefer Frank Reyes and others, to Antony, but I know Antony is number one to many. I just don't see it.

No offense taken. And I agree on the above. See, I had never seen Antony Santos live, since I hear he hates flying, which limits his US appearances. And when I'm home, I have better things to do than attend concerts, although I have attended a handful while in the DR. But I have to agree: there are other bachateros who respect the audience and actually put up a better show, and Frank Reyes is one of them. However, Antony Santos exudes more charisma than all of them combined, at least up on stage.

And besides demanding the largest fees, his concerts leave much to be desired. The 12-piece band IS awesome, and he could have a better backup singer, I agree.

I believe he has gotten bigger than the music, whatever that means. But I had to attend. He did not play my favorite tune: "Yo me muero por ti," which I have listened to at least a thousand times. Had I known in advance, I would've left before it got started. But I'm the same dumb-ass who walked out after 10 minutes of the movie "Transformer" and five minutes of "Smoking Aces" and 3 minutes of "The Mommy." Now, "Mystic River" I watched ten times. By the way, while walking out of "Transformer," I wanted to become invisible, so people wouldn't see me, even it they were having fun. I was THAT embarrassed: I paid for this?! That's how The Kid rolls.

-The Kid

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
Kid...I have a question...How much did you pay to see him in concert?

The Queen and King wanted to go see him on July 6th here in Miami...but tickets were $75 general admission pre-sale, and $250 per person VIP...

THAT is outrageous!!! Even if I had money to throw away, I would NOT pay the promoter for his vices... :(

We even got a call at 8 pm the night of the concert from a friend of mine from another radio station, saying he could get us in for free...but we declined!!! Tickets at the door were already $100 and $300 VIP...

Then, this past weekend he was performing again, but at a different venue...PRECIOS POPULARES was the advertising slogan...$45 per person...no VIP...

Still...we didn't go...I prefer to see him in DR...for $50 p/p...as they were charging the last time I was there at La Base Sports Bar in SDQ...

But I bet you had tons of fun, uh??? ;)

something_of_the_night

Has left the building...
Feb 7, 2006
Kid...I have a question...How much did you pay to see him in concert?

The Queen and King wanted to go see him on July 6th here in Miami...but tickets were $75 general admission pre-sale, and $250 per person VIP...

THAT is outrageous!!! Even if I had money to throw away, I would NOT pay the promoter for his vices... :(

We even got a call at 8 pm the night of the concert from a friend of mine from another radio station, saying he could get us in for free...but we declined!!! Tickets at the door were already $100 and $300 VIP...

Then, this past weekend he was performing again, but at a different venue...PRECIOS POPULARES was the advertising slogan...$45 per person...no VIP...

Still...we didn't go...I prefer to see him in DR...for $50 p/p...as they were charging the last time I was there at La Base Sports Bar in SDQ...

But I bet you had tons of fun, uh??? ;)

Mi muy bella reina musical, Miusiqu?n, the at-the-door ticket price was $60, and pre-venta was $50. But I understand that performers don't care how much the club chargers, instead they ask for a fee. One of the musicians told my friend that Antony Santos was getting 60k US$ for that show, and that 15 shows in NYC yielded him a cool million US$.

And yes, I had fun, especially after seeing my buddy Nino and wife. Also met lots of folks I hadn't seen in over 10 years. And I kept making eye contact with a beautiful married babe, who I think was Dominican, but I wasn't sure, but her Dom-York husband and friends were always around. And if it hadn't been for the fact that I was sporting a brand-new tattoo and my on-call status, I would've rescued her from the Dom-Yorkness of her friends and taken her away to parts unknown. And I know she couldn't have resisted my charm, which is equal parts James Bonds and Alexey Karamazov. I AM THAT COOL! As? e' que yo roleo.

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
I AM THAT COOL! As? e' que yo roleo.
heheheh funny.

i like Anthony Santos' front man, (he's just like a cute bear) the shorty - he dances funny and I think he does the chorus. When my friend and I went to see him last month, the shorty was walking out with his 'bajo' (base)lol and we asked for Anthony and he said he was gone, yeah right, but we told shorty we were gonna keep him hostage until Anthony showed up, he looked worried, heheheh.

Last edited:

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
which is equal parts James Bonds and Alexey Karamazov. I AM THAT COOL! As? e' que yo roleo.

Agree, this is funny! Does Antony Santos ever come to DC area? In general, how does one find out about any kind of concerts in the area where you live? I always miss all of the events.

something_of_the_night

Has left the building...
Feb 7, 2006
Agree, this is funny! Does Antony Santos ever come to DC area? In general, how does one find out about any kind of concerts in the area where you live? I always miss all of the events.

Probably. You may have to ask Don Juan, aegap, or the cool man from Asswoman Bay, Petaka; they live near DC, I think.

montreal

Bronze
Apr 17, 2006
$$$$$$$

That is sooo expensive!

I saw him last year at Rancho Merengue in Santiago for about 600 pesos
(20$). The place was JAM PACKED! His show lasted at least 4 hours.

He played some of my favourite of his merengues, I dont remember about yo me muero por ti..........that is a good one!

I'm not being partial, but it was a GREAT concert.

something_of_the_night

Has left the building...
Feb 7, 2006
That is sooo expensive!

I saw him last year at Rancho Merengue in Santiago for about 600 pesos
(20$). The place was JAM PACKED! His show lasted at least 4 hours.

He played some of my favourite of his merengues, I dont remember about yo me muero por ti..........that is a good one!

I'm not being partial, but it was a GREAT concert.

Maybe I do need to see him in the DR after all.

By the way, I think expectant mothers should mix in classical music with "Yo me muero por ti" so the baby can grow up with culture, rhythm, and charisma, much like The Kid.

-The Kid

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
Mi muy bella reina musical, Miusiqu?n, the at-the-door ticket price was $60, and pre-venta was $50. But I understand that performers don't care how much the club chargers, instead they ask for a fee. One of the musicians told my friend that Antony Santos was getting 60k US$ for that show, and that 15 shows in NYC yielded him a cool million US$.

And yes, I had fun, especially after seeing my buddy Nino and wife. Also met lots of folks I hadn't seen in over 10 years. And I kept making eye contact with a beautiful married babe, who I think was Dominican, but I wasn't sure, but her Dom-York husband and friends were always around. And if it hadn't been for the fact that I was sporting a brand-new tattoo and my on-call status, I would've rescued her from the Dom-Yorkness of her friends and taken her away to parts unknown. And I know she couldn't have resisted my charm, which is equal parts James Bonds and Alexey Karamazov. I AM THAT COOL! As? e' que yo roleo.

Exactly, Kid...that's why I said I didn't care to pay for the promoter's vices...those axxholes made well over $100,000 that night...and they probably just paid A.S. around $50-60 K...which I think it's still A WHOLE lot of money...Hey, if you say he made a Million with just 15 shows in NY...can you imagine what he made in the rest of the country??? (At least part of the country...:cheeky:)

Oh, and you're not kidding about Mom's playing some of that music for their new babies...

I remember when I was pregnant I used to go dancing with my ex all the time, and my kids are very music inclined now...and my daughter did the same...you should see my 2 yr. old grandson dancing bachata, reggaeton and merengue...he KNOWS the difference between the genres...he has a different step and rhythm for each of them!!!! Too cute!!!! ;)

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Well, I only read this thread because Antony Santos was the header - I LOVE HIM!! I went to see him in Tropical here in Jersey, he was there on time - started around 11PM and didnt stop until way after 2.00. The only problem is that he sang too much merengue at first - I dont go see a bachatero for merengue! but once he got into his old stuff, it was great. And he doesnt stop either, he's like a machine!

I didnt have to pay b/c I know the club owner, but I understand that the tickets were over $100 at the door. They were that much at the door for Frank Reyes, To?o, and El Torito. They do this after the club is packed, so if people left because of the price, they had already made their money a long time ago!

If you want to see someone like these folks, you should buy your tix in advance anyway. I wouldnt wait until I get there to buy them, it is always double what you could have paid the day before...

The Kid or whoever it is that opened this thread up - it was very hard to keep up with your post. It was like trying to follow Elmo talk about himself in the third person or something - I think. so confusing. I only caught the drift after reading the replies - and I'm not THAT slow buddy!! LOL