2 weeks in DR, where to stay, what to do?

Gma

Jul 9, 2007
Hola!

My boyfriend and I are going to the DR this fall. We've decided we wanna stay at the Samana peninsula during those two weeks. First we thought of staying both weeks in Las Terrenas (Playa Bonita that is), but now we're thinking of maybe staying one week in LT and one week in Las Galeras. Or would you recommend staying in Las Galeras for the 2 weeks?

Can't really decide what to do... We want to experience a charming DR town with a nice beach, people and not too many tourists. I've heard Las Terrenas is not as peaceful as it once was...but then again we don't want to go to a total remote place either..

We're planning on renting a car for a couple of days- what do you recommend us to do/see?

Gma

gringo1

Feb 23, 2007
I would recommend Las Galeras, much quieter than Las Terenas, yet enough to do and very nice beaches. John has a nice several bungalows, inexpensive and clean one block from the beach. And Samana is not too far away.

ninapup

Sep 16, 2004
Las Terrenas is lovely in October. There are very few tourists but most of the restaurants are open, the beautiful beaches were near empty. It is much more quiet than during high season. We were there in October 2 years ago and will go back again this year. Why don't you split your time between LT and Las Galeras?

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
What some people say is remote is OK for others, and what some people say is touristy is 'local' to others. It's hard to advice without letting your own perspective speak, but Las Galeras does have a remote and sedate feeling over it, and Las Terrenas is a more touristy town, although neither are really extremely remote or touristy. So yes, maybe splitting your time between those might be a good option.
If you really are looking for a charming DR town without much tourism, you might want to look elsewhere, as both Las Terrenas and Las Galeras are focused on tourism. But I think it will be very hard to find a charming Dominican town with a lovely beach that does not have a focus on tourism.

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
LG or not LG?

Depending on the sort of person you are you could wind up going totally out of your tree with boredom in LG after a week unless you really love: hiking, remote beaches, hiking to remote beaches, quiet contemplation; hiking to other remote beaches and so on . . . I'm saying that a protracted stay is not for everyone. Of course Samana (the city) is only a short gua-gua ride away for what it's worth. I recommend splitting your time between LG and LT.

This guys images should give you an idea about Las Galeras and surrounds.
John's Photo Album - Sam?na Penninsula

But you could also consider places like Rio San Juan --- between Sosua and Samana. Monte Cristi -- way the heck up there towards Haiti. If you post a query in other branches (South or South East for example) you may get other ideas.

Gma

Jul 9, 2007
Safety at Samana peninsula

Which place is the safest (the north coast: pop, sosua etc, or the samana peninsula)-concerning robberies, attacks on tourists etc..

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005

ConeyI

Jul 18, 2007
New Year in Samana vs. Cabarete

Hi everybody,
we are planning to spend New Year week in DR, can't decide what is better -Las Terrenas or Cabarete. I like Cabarete a lot, but we have a group of 12 people and we want to stay together in villas/apartamentos accomodations (moderate price). Any recomendations? And what did anybody stay in La Residencia del Paseo in Las Terrenas? Thanks.

les1

Feb 1, 2007
qI would recomend rio san juan, not tourist driven, 4 town beaches and other beaches close by. Quiet in the week and lots of dominican night life at the weekend

My boyfriend and I are going to the DR this fall. We've decided we wanna stay at the Samana peninsula during those two weeks. First we thought of staying both weeks in Las Terrenas (Playa Bonita that is), but now we're thinking of maybe staying one week in LT and one week in Las Galeras. Or would you recommend staying in Las Galeras for the 2 weeks?

Can't really decide what to do... We want to experience a charming DR town with a nice beach, people and not too many tourists. I've heard Las Terrenas is not as peaceful as it once was...but then again we don't want to go to a total remote place either..

We're planning on renting a car for a couple of days- what do you recommend us to do/see?

Gma[/QUOTE]

shuffine

Jan 17, 2006
And what did anybody stay in La Residencia del Paseo in Las Terrenas? Thanks.

The apts. in Paseo are A-OK

oneeasy

Jul 20, 2007
Oneeasy here

I feel all of your pain. I am visiting DR for the first time and I have no clue. All I am told it is a wonderful place to visit. I am torn between Sosua and Santo Domingo. Help I am still stuck in keeping it inexpencive and nice at the same time. Can you all give me some suggestions

samanasuenos

Bronze
Oct 5, 2005
For the OP, regarding Las Terrenas vs. Las Galeras, I visited both as well as Samana in 2004 and in 2005.

First I stayed in Samana. I hadn't seen the lovely beaches of LT or LG yet, and didn't know what I was missing.

Then I visited LG and was shocked at what a village it is. Not a town! It was a lovely surprise. As was our ride out to Playa Rincon and fresh fish grilled meal under a blue tent - very rustic. Loved it!

I visited LT last, after a few weeks and by then was ready for creature comforts like French baguettes. There were more restaurants and they were less local and eversoslightly more...cosmopolitan?

So I think that a taste of all three places is in order.

Let us know where you end up! -- Sammy

gringo1

Feb 23, 2007
oneeasy

For your first time here I wouldn?t recommend Santo Domingo. It has some character but is a huge city and like many others around the world. In my mind the north coast is the best, whether Sosua, Rio San Juan, Samana area or more remote places to the west. Sosua will give you the most nightlife along with Las Terenas, but most towns with more than a couple hundred people offer more than their share of nightlife. Per capita this country is nightlife rich! BUt the whole coast is beautiful, and in my book really gives a new person a good Dominican experience.

oneeasy

Jul 20, 2007
gringo1

Thank you so much for your responce my heart was set on Sosus but someone told me about Santo Domingo. I can not wait when I get back I will tell you all about it. Any suggestion on what I should do first or what was your experience.

oneeasy

Jul 20, 2007
Question

I would recommend Las Galeras, much quieter than Las Terenas, yet enough to do and very nice beaches. John has a nice several bungalows, inexpensive and clean one block from the beach. And Samana is not too far away.

How for is it from Sosua and the beaches around their? Looking into renting one from you.

gringo1

Feb 23, 2007
Hi
If you?re asking about John?s place in Las Galeras, he is a block from the beach, and his restaurant-cabanas are called Ruby Chris. Sorry I don?t have the number, but theyare listed in that travel book, hmmm, can?t remember the name either, the books that exist for each country for travelers.

montreal

Bronze
Apr 17, 2006
I believe it is listed in the rough guides as Paradiso Bungalows and the restaurant under Ruby`s. About 30$ a night and a really good choice IMO.

I you need it the number is 967-7295.

Bye!!

gringo1

Feb 23, 2007
Thanks MOntreal, that?s the info I couldn?t remember, and that Oneeasy hopefully can use. As far as things to do Aaround Las Galeras and the Samana area, there are many. Go fishing in a yola for the morning from LG beach, ride over to Playa Rincon for a beautiful beach and fish lunch, go to Samana and take a boatride over to Las Haitises national park, a really cool day. BTW there?s an ecolodge in the park that is pretty cool. While in Samana have lunch at the chino restaurant behind the old church. Good food and a great view of the bay. El Limon waterfalls between Samana and Las terenas is great. Go up by horseback. Back in LG elax, eat a steak at Ruby?s have some cold beer on the beach, etc. Have fun. Avoid Boca DEL Diablo as it has a well known problem with robberies on the road there. I have met several couples who were robbed at machete point but unhurt. Ruined their vacations though.....