Banking from US-DR

Joshua R

Jan 2, 2006
Does anyone know of a good bank that is located in DR and the US that i could use to send weekly transactions to and also apply online with?

olddog

Jul 14, 2006
Hi Josh...

Dang, tried to reply earlier but dunno wha' happenened to reply...

Banco Popular (spelling) is expanding big-time in South Florida, where I live. They are all over Latin America (home offices are in Spain) and most likely would have a relatively seamless transfer of dough. Give 'er a try.

Joshua R

Jan 2, 2006
yeah that was the first bank that came to mind. i tried calling the customer service line but i guess that you need to be a memeber first :ermm: and the nearest bank is in New rochell, new york that i know of

Joshua R

Jan 2, 2006
i just want a bank that i could use here in the US and DR so then i could just withdraw the money over ther instead of having to go to a exchange store and risk being tracked down plus i could set money aside automatically and not have to worry about forgetting

TarSeal

Nov 4, 2006
Hi Joshua,

I have a Bank of America account with Visa check/ATM card. I can withdraw pesos at any ScotiaBank ATM in DR (and other Caribbean countries) with no fees from either institution. They have a partnership which allows this. Hope this helps you.

I'm not sure what other services you would need, but all I ever need to do is withdraw cash and it works for that.

I still need to open a local account for depositing local checks in, but that's another story.

Joshua R

Jan 2, 2006
i checked this subject with my bank and they said they could order the currency with them. the only problem is that i don't want to carry cold hard cash around when i travel over there if anything i would like to have a debit card

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
Banco Santa Cruz

Banco Santa Cruz has a relationship with Wachovia but you must open a DR account in country in person. From the US you can wire to Wachovia & it will transfer to your Santa Cruz account.

EMTuKnowMe

Nov 15, 2006
how long and how much?

Banco Santa Cruz has a relationship with Wachovia but you must open a DR account in country in person. From the US you can wire to Wachovia & it will transfer to your Santa Cruz account.

how long does it take for the funds to get to the Santa Cruz account in the DR once you order the funds transfer from the US Wachovia account?

How much does the wire cost?

Is there a minimum amount that has to be wired?

Thank you.

EMT

chola1978

Bronze
Mar 20, 2006
Transfer should not take more than 24hrs as long as in a business day, Wire sent on Friday will arrive monday

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
The best thing to do IMO based is get an account with Bank of America in the States(which you can monitor from here online BTW) and then use the Scotiabank automatic tellers here in the DR. The will not charge you any user fees as they have an agreement with BOA and the maximum is RD10,000 per day.

the problem with wire transfers in the US is that only one company(per my research) will let you do wire transfers online, Citibank, while all the others require for you to be present. A real pain in the arse.

Vawner

Feb 7, 2007
Bank of America will also let you set up a wire transfer template (must be done in person), which then lets you phone in requests for wire transfers. As part of the template, you can request verification before they actually act on any telephonic transfer request, in which case they will not execute the transfer unless and until they are able to reach you at a predetermined telephone number to verify that you made the transfer request.

Feb 7, 2007
Washington Mutual offers free checking and free ATM withdrawals worldwide. I got it and it works great. No minimums, no monthly fees, free checks, free debit Mastercard, free online banking with BillPay and free ATM withdrawals worldwide.
And they only charge 1% exchange rate fee on foreign transactions, most banks charge 2%.
I applied from the DR online and in 2 weeks my welcome kit, check and debit mastercard came in by EPS.
You must have a US SSN and know your last US address to apply.

bart6

Aug 17, 2007
Banco Popular

the dominican branch of BP has one branch in NY that would be seamless. Other BP branches in the states are unaffiliated.