I gotta buy a TV

DAKRA

Bronze
Feb 21, 2007
Need your suggestions:

I'll be traveling to the DR on 18 Aug for a couple of weeks of relaxation but just realized that my friend's Birthday is the day after mine. I would like to purchase a color TV for him as a gift. Not really a big TV, just something like a 17 or 19 inch perhaps with a DVD combo.

I am prety sure that I could get it fairly CHEAPER in the USA, but really don't want to deal with carrying it or dealing with the customs :bandit: folks at the airport.

Am I really going to save that much money by purchasing it in the USA or should I just as well buy one in the DR/SD?

If the net USA Savings are less than $40 bucks then I will just get it in the DR. But what about quality? - I am just looking for a decent TV that will last a few years.... not looking for a plasma or HDTV...

Your Thoughts? - - - Your Suggestions??? - - - Where to buy it???? - - - The approximate Price ???

THANKS!!!

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Decent 20 inch LG TV - 8,000 RD, don't know about a DVD combo though.

Now can I be your friend too???

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
DVD players in the US are dirt cheap and so small they fit in your bags, specially without the box (don't forget the remote and manual).
TV's are big and bulky and better to buy here.
17 & 19 inch are rareties.
There are 3 main classes.
The 14/15, 20/21 and 27/29.
20/21 inchers are ideal.
Best value per screen size.
Not so big that they take up lot's of space and weigh a ton, yet big enough to watch a sport event, and be able to follow the ball/puck.
14/15 are just plain tiny.
27/29's are getting a bit pricey.
Figure on $250 to $300 US for a good 20/21.
Where you buy it makes all the difference.
TVs in small towns may cost 50% more than big shops in big cities.

DAKRA

Bronze
Feb 21, 2007
Thanks Rocky:

I can get a 19" here at Wal Mart for like $139 on sale. But I don't want to carry the damn thing on the plane. During my trip #2 to SD, I came down with a TV/DVD combo that a USA buddy sent to his family in the DR. It was packed in a separate suitcase. I think it was a flat pannel TV because the box was not too bulky. I wish I knew more about it because that is what I would like to get. I don't mind helping out the DR economy but I could also use the cash to give to my friend in DR.

Again, thanks for the info - I will check out Walmart again tomorrow.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Thanks Rocky:

I can get a 19" here at Wal Mart for like $139 on sale. But I don't want to carry the damn thing on the plane. During my trip #2 to SD, I came down with a TV/DVD combo that a USA buddy sent to his family in the DR. It was packed in a separate suitcase. I think it was a flat pannel TV because the box was not too bulky. I wish I knew more about it because that is what I would like to get. I don't mind helping out the DR economy but I could also use the cash to give to my friend in DR.

Again, thanks for the info - I will check out Walmart again tomorrow.
Certainly a flat panel would be a lot easier to get in through customs.

Jan 5, 2006
I've taken 2 flat 20" LCD TVs in my carry-on and didn't get hassled either time. Just remove all the packaging, place it between your clothes, and you should be fine.

I see them at Best Buy and Circuit City for less than $200 all the time.