Collection of Crosswind Landings

Sep 19, 2005
ha ha ha...I have seen some of those beofre, especially the big big planes coming in at an angle and then getting straight a second or two before the wheels touch.

Id love to hear a plane load of Dominicans when they are on a plane that lands like that!!

I remember one flight we were about 45 minutes out of leaving the DR and the plane drops like a 20 feet!!!!!!!!!!! food is everywhere...and to make matter worse when the head flight attendants gets on the intercom and says..." everyone back to their seat IMMEDIATELY, IMMEDIATELY...hurry!!! and she is obviously panicing......that sent a shock wave through most of the passengers.

half the plane was still praying 2 hours later!!!!! and two women NEVER stopped crying!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!this huge big dominican waas giving himself the sign of the cross for a half hour next to me!!

I dont know what happened, maybe we went through a mini bermuda triangle ha ha ha

bob

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Great video. These were some tough landings especially the hong kong 747 landing; great piloting skill.
Some landings were so hard, I would imagine a couple of tires must have exploded. Now imagine if the plane was full of fuel, yikexxxxxx. the wings would break on at least one landing that I saw.
AZB

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
I'm still reeling in shock over the footage on the fiery plane crash at Sao Paulo a couple of nights ago. Today there's footage that the plane was going way too fast on landing (the plane took 3 seconds crossing the same stretch that regular flights cross in 11 seconds). According to witnesses, when the plane was about to overrun the runway, it accelerated and tried to take off again. Makes you wonder who was piloting the plane, a drugged and confused suicidal pilot, a distracted and hysterical stewardess?...

semperinfidelis

Apr 15, 2003
Makes you wonder who was piloting the plane, a drugged and confused suicidal pilot, a distracted and hysterical stewardess?...

Don't be so quick to judge...I doubt someone would do this deliberately. Current investigations are speculating a malfunction of one of the thrust reversers.

ZEUS

Bronze
Feb 14, 2003
Looks to me like all those MF pilots were high on hashis or some other sh*t.

zeus...

Sep 19, 2005
you are missing the whole point.....there are tremendous side winds blowing these planes around . When the dam plane is going full tilt at 550 MPH it can fight those winds a little, but when they slow down to land that baby....the winds get an upper hand...

the runway can face east and west....but there can be a 45 degree wind at 45 mph...or even a 90 degree crosswind at 45 mph , and it makes for a tough landing...the pilot has to start as if he is going to land the plane 1/4 miles east of the runway when he is fighting a sideways wind from the east... and by the time he is about to land the wind blew him right over to the runway...didnt you ever do those question in math class....???

bob

May 5, 2007
Somewhat accurate Bob, but a little off.

What a pilot actually does to correct for a crosswind landing is called "Crabbing."

If you have a 30kt crosswind hitting you from your left side, your would drop your left wing to reduce effect of that crosswind and this will additionally place the plane into a slight left turn toward the wind (this may also concern passengers as the pilot must continually adjust power settings to compensate for the dropped wing and subsequent loss of lift. You also will provide left rudder which will give the appearance the plane is landing crosswise, when if actuality the pilot is simply keeping the nose of the plane and the thrust pointed directly into the wind and allowing the winds force to keep him over the runway instead of starting a "1/4 mile" away and letting the wind move the plane, the plane lines up directly over the mid line as he would for a no wind landing and uses the power of his engines to compensate

Many "Heavy" aircraft actually have main gear thy will swivel upon touchdown to compensate for the enormous forces applied when landing "less than straight"

The dipping and wallowing you see just before landing occurs when the pilot has discontinued "crabbing" and is using rudder and differential power to straighten out for that last 100 feet AGL or so. The plane is ?dirty? and slow at this point and tremendous amounts of thrust must be used for constant small corrections. (Watch film of a Navy Jet land on a carrier sometime, there is a reason they have a high approach speed) High crosswinds actually increase the landing speed for aircraft as they are more stable at speed and the deployment of landing flaps makes the craft more susceptible to the crosswinds

Want to try something fun; Try landing a Cessna 206 (Single engine high wing) in a crosswind component of 60o at 45kts, darn near had left wing on ground and landed almost sideways, quite a "jerk" when those wheels hit the dirt

Sep 19, 2005
Somewhat accurate Bob, but a little off.

I was trying to keep it as simple as possible ha ha, although I have never heard the term "crabing"

just looking at the videos one can see the planes are angled to fight the wind and then try to correct as the wheels touch, because the wheels dont like to roll sideways!!!!!!!!! ha ha ha

all those dynamics going on against the plane is one reason i dont agree with everyone( usually all dominicans) clapping in joy AS SOON AS THE WHEELS TOUCH

I feel the plane made a safe landing AFTER IT SLOWS DOWN some... ha ha ha

bob

STIOP

Jun 11, 2004
great find

Great find!!!!

A couple of those landings are made during the certification process for the 747 and 777.

Slds

STIOP