Claro GSM VS Orange GSM

Jun 5, 2004
Everytime I go to DR I activate my phone with Orange (do the typical SIM swapping) and the service is good except that there is not alot of coverage in some places which I visit. Now that I am going to be traveling to DR more frequently I was wondering if Claro was a better option since they now offer GSM. I know they have the best coverage in the country but there prices are slightly higher and they dont offer as much services. Could anyone give me any advice? Should I go with Claro or stay with Orange Thanks

ZEUS

Bronze
Feb 14, 2003
Sure, spend a few more bucks (can't take them with you) and your problems are solved. On the other hand, get yourself two phones, one GSM and the other CDMA. This is what I do. You may look like one of those cowboys with two guns hanging from your belt, but what the heck. It's your life and if you want to be in contact with your love ones this is a good option. It works for me..

Good luck.

Zeus (el Dios Dminicano)..

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
I had my Claro phone number...........

...............changed to the "sim" and now use the same phone everywhere...........in the US and here in the DR by switching sims........

I used to have to carry two phones since the "sim" with orange was limited to certain parts of the country.

I have had the claro sim for over 1-1/2 months now and it has even better coverage and signal than the number did on the old Verizon system before I changed to the "sim". I am even thinking of getting rid of the house phone since this phone works so good and I usually transfer the house phone to it anyway.

The ONLY thing I don't like about it is the new "voicemail" that claro has.......Instead of the usual FAST talking that they have that noone can understand..............they now have gone to the other extreme and talk so slow that you want to jump into the phone and pull the words out of their mouth!!!!

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
POP Bad Boy;539591.............they now have gone to the other extreme and talk so slow that you want to jump into the phone and pull the words out of their mouth!!!![/QUOTE said:
Carlos Slim is a smart man, I am sure that "Slow Talker" earn's AMX an extra $25mm/quarter.

tambo'

Sep 19, 2005
is there any relation between Claro and Codetel????

my GF had verizon, and now has the company that bought them out....and lately her signal is poorer than before... we installed a drop cieling in her bedroom to make it cooler and her signal got even worse!!( metal roofed house!) so if we can switch to something in the phone for better reception...I am for it.

also am again thinking about getting two new phones and signing up for another 2 year plan here, and think Ill get one of the phones for her, for use down in the DR.

anyone have a tip on a verizon phone for use down in the DR( as a pre pay phone) that gets the BEST reception?????...I know some are better than others.

thanks

bob

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
slow talking voice mail

I hate hate hate slow voice mail, especially the caller instructions.... "if you want to page this person.... if you want to mark this urgent.... blah blah blah"

I HATE it, but usually you can press one and go right to the beep. Also sometimes you can eliminate caller instructions. I hope claro has these options.

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
Claro is Codetel

Claro is Codetel...........They call the wireless section Claro and the wired section of the company Codetel...........

I'd say your best bet right now would be the Motorola RAZR .........everyone here seems to like them and you can use them with either a Claro or Orange chip. She's probably like the Red or Pink one...........:cheeky:

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
The ONLY thing I don't like about it is the new "voicemail" that claro has.......Instead of the usual FAST talking that they have that noone can understand..............they now have gone to the other extreme and talk so slow that you want to jump into the phone and pull the words out of their mouth!!!!

.............the part I was referring too, is when you have to call your own voicemail to check your messages...............IT'S TORTURE!

Sep 19, 2005
Claro is Codetel...........They call the wireless section Claro and the wired section of the company Codetel...........

I'd say your best bet right now would be the Motorola RAZR .........everyone here seems to like them and you can use them with either a Claro or Orange chip. She's probably like the Red or Pink one...........:cheeky:

for sure she wanted a razor...but that is mostly..peer pressure type stuff.

i was thinking about the ENVY, because she text messages a lot....but I dont know about recpetion...which is a bigger issue for me...

I would imagine that there is better technology for signal strength and reception in some phones than there is in others....

thats the info i am looking for....and was wondering if this new SIM chip issue would be an improvement

thanks

bob

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
I believe...........

1. The "SIM" is an improvement.

2. The RAZOR is easy for text messaging since the number keys are quite large................

and

3. THAT'S WHAT SHE WANTS.................!!!!:glasses: BUT THE "enV" is nice too!

Sep 19, 2005
so when I go to my local verizon store and buy my new phones.....what do I ask for to make sure I get a phone with this SIM feature????

I dont think this is an issue in america, people just get what it offered by their carrier, and i worry that the sales clerk will look at me funnier than she normally would when i ask about the SIM feature.... ha ha ha

someone give me 2 or 3 examples of a phone with the best recpetion with a SIM feature on a verizon phone...if that is possible....

bob

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
A "sim"

.............is a "chip" that contains the phone number and the storage for a GSM phone which is different than a phone that doesn't contain a "sim"

I am sure someone else can explain it better than I, but basically in the US, Verizon does NOT have "sim" phones and ATT/Cingular DO have "sim" phones...........as an example..........

........SO BASICALLY, DON'T BUY A US VERIZON PHONE.......

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
BOb tell her to go to codetel's main office in santiago and get one of the deal they have to offer. They have plenty of deal and I got a nice Razr Z1 for 1200 pesos (cambiazo). I am their old customer so after 18 months I am entitles to a almost free phone by them. I could have had a free phone but I chose to have a fancy phone and paid only 1200 pesos for it when in reality, this modern phone costs a few hundred dollars in stores. The problem with some newer GSM models is that they cannot be unlocked at this moment example motorola z1. You need to purchase some special code to unlock it. This means I can't put a sim card from any other provider. This will all change when the fix will be released and I will simply have it unlocked from a local phone dealer.
BOB, codatel's old CDMA system is phasing out. When the new GSM system came out in claro, my old CDMA phone began to malfunction. missed calls and low ,signal. Now that I have GSM from claro, all my problems are solved.
AZB

Sep 19, 2005
but Aftab you didnt read my post where I expalined I am signing up for a new 2 year agreement up here in the US with my Verizon account...and I can get two new phones and or a combo of discounts on 2 phones that are higher priced.....and I want to pick up the phone,up here...and bring it down....

we dont use a monthly plan down in the DR with her phone....so we dont get discounted phones, period. So ther eis NO deal in the DR, plus the phone are 150-200% cost wise as they are up here....even more If i were to try and buy a phone on ebay...........

bob

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
As they said

Verizon in the USA does not use SIM cards. ATT, TMOBIL do. So if you bring down Verizon phones, they will not accept the SIM cards.

Jun 5, 2004
but Aftab you didnt read my post where I expalined I am signing up for a new 2 year agreement up here in the US with my Verizon account...and I can get two new phones and or a combo of discounts on 2 phones that are higher priced.....and I want to pick up the phone,up here...and bring it down....

we dont use a monthly plan down in the DR with her phone....so we dont get discounted phones, period. So ther eis NO deal in the DR, plus the phone are 150-200% cost wise as they are up here....even more If i were to try and buy a phone on ebay...........

bob
ATT has razrs for 129 with their prepaid plan online. Get one of those and unlock it. They also have a variety of other phones. You can go to ebay or one of those otehr sites and might be able to get a better deal

El Diego

Apr 24, 2006
Bob,
just buy a used/new GSM quad phone from ebay/craigslist and take it to DR.
Don't sign up/get stuck for 2-yr with VZ. Just buy it on ebay and you're set.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
There are a bunch of new unlocked Razr's on eBay for $100 plus shipping.

tambo'

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002

bob

Some new phones can't be hacked as of now so you probably won't be able to use claro sim card if the phone is locked to verizon.
AZB

Sep 19, 2005
ok good advice... I am signing up anyway so Ill just get a really nice phone for myself....or my daughter, and then Ill buy a seperate phone for Tavina.

I have to make sure I pick the right phone...if I get it off ebay , I cant complain a month later when it cant be set up in the DR!!!!!

I was talking to verizon a few days ago about ofhter issues, and the guy said they have NEW razrs...second generation.....

are they offered by companies that deal with GSM phones?

and if so , and if anyone knows... the phone with the best reception and signal pulling capacity

bob