16% ???

Trig

Aug 20, 2006
I just returned from the DR. At a few of the restaraunts we vistited, there was a 16% ITIS (spelling?) addition to the bill. What is this? Was I taken?

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
Normally. You pay 16 % ITBIS-tax and 10 % service (TIP)
If you know the owner from a restaurant very well. Than you don't pay this 26 % extra.

The 10% service tax is NOT a TIP but is required by law as a way to insure that a SALARY for the service staff is collected. This has been beat to death on this forum by cheapskates that would stiff a waitress even in their home countries. However, if you feel that your service warrants it, by all means leave some sort of a tip on the table. You'd be suprised how far a $20 to $30 peso gratuity will go in assuring good service the next time you visit the restaurant.

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
The 10% service tax is NOT a TIP but is required by law as a way to insure that a SALARY for the service staff is collected. This has been beat to death on this forum by cheapskates that would stiff a waitress even in their home countries. However, if you feel that your service warrants it, by all means leave some sort of a tip on the table. You'd be suprised how far a $20 to $30 peso gratuity will go in assuring good service the next time you visit the restaurant.

Yeah, some winter residents are notoriously noted in Florida restaurants for not tipping..."eh".

$100 pesos is roughly $3USD right now....as a rule, in the States, I drop 20% of the bill as a tip unless the service is horrible ($1 for every $5 on the bill)....

I chose to maintain the standard when I was last in the DR and it didn't take long to be remembered or to insure that I got GREAT service...and a smile.

On the day I left, a handshake and a big GRACIAS from my favorite waiter....wanna bet my table will be waiting for me when I get back?

Tip on the food and drinks if you need to scrimp (don't tip on the taxes in other words)....but by all means.....take care of those who make the DR a great place to be.

Goes back to the old saying, "Treat people how you want to be treated."

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Pyratt - good advice. I pay about $15 to get my son's haircut here. In DR my neighbor asked me for $50 pesos. How can I give this man like $1.50 for all that work?? Is common sense, anyway - when I give him like $300 or $400 Pesos for it, he shapes him up like daily anyways - he says "to keep him bonito"

Although, I do find that many service people that do not work a job that requires a tip are not that 'happy to serve' you anyway! It all starts at customs in the airport. I have never found a woman to smile at me in one of those booths yet. I cant get one at the supermarket cash register or the bank - unless it is the manager. Is it that the pants are too tight and they are mad at life and every other woman that looks relaxed?

I still smile and say hello regardless... Lastly - it is good to advise to remember that good service deserves a good tip anywhere you go.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
ITBIS really translates to BOHICA (bo-hecka) tax - Bend over here it comes again. Most eating/drinking establishments do give the local crowd some kind of discount.

Bob K

gringo1

Feb 23, 2007
I find th when in a tourist area I tend to find itbis on my bill much more often than when I?m out around mainly Dominicans. For certain tourist areas are easier and more profitable to enforce regarding itbis, etc. I eat out every meal, and this week in Santiago I have yet to pay an Itbis. But I always tip.....Maybe my bartending in Florida for the snowbirds taught me a golden rule!! BTW, Presidente is dropping 5 pesos!!!!Yahoooooooo

Sep 19, 2005
you will find that any place that prints a bill off a machine has the ITBIS-16% and they also have the 10% for the wait staff... there is a name for that figure, just like the 16% has a name --itbis...does anyone remember the name for the 10% column on the bill?

the kicker is the more legit places add 10% of the actualTotal of your service and food...others add the 10% of the bill after the 16% has been figured!!!! dirty bastards.

what really kills me is when I get a bill at the Cabana they have the 16% itbis and the 10 % gratuity on the bill......and they served NOTHING....

whats ups with that scam?..you can sit there and fight with the damn dumb waiter and the phone, but you will never win and just ruin your mood... ha ha ha ha

they got you by the short hairs!!!!

do the hotels charge the 10% as well???????

now I only tip the extra 10% to make a total of 20% if the service is very good or and I am very happy about something.....

youd have to look like an idiot if you are being taxed 16 % for the service and then 10% on top of that , and then you leave a 20% tip....

so you buy $100 of service... and the total is....$100X16=$116
$116 x 10=$127

then...$127X20=........$153 !!!!!!!!!

thats dominican fancy billing.. ha ha ha

bob

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
ITBIS really translates to BOHICA (bo-hecka) tax - Bend over here it comes again. Most eating/drinking establishments do give the local crowd some kind of discount.

Bob K

Hence my point bro

It took one day and I was getting free beers, a shot here and there....dare I say where I was....rest assured a popular Conde St eatery. I showed up one night and met another waiter and within minuts made friends....count on paying what it co$t$ and everyting else is a gift.....FYI, LOCALS get huge discounts in the Florida Keys.......

Tourists pay for some locals to drink and don't know it!