Obtaining My Birth Certificate

rubencito

Jul 20, 2007
I was born in the Dominican Republic but I do not have a copy of my birth certificate. How can I obtain a copy?

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
You would need to know where you were born. In the National District there are several civil registry offices. If you were born in a pueblo, it is more likely there is only one and thus the matter is easier. Then you would have to know if you were registered on time -- within the month -- or late, so as to locate the document. A birth certificate can be gotten if a day if you have the registration details (at least a photocopy of an old one). Try to think of where you might have registered these details. If not, then you have to get someone to track it down. Some civil registry offices have already been computerized, making the process easier. Good luck.

texasgal

Jul 17, 2006
My husband is in the same situation- we need his birth certificate. Right now there are no known copies. Somewhere along the line all the copies his mother had have been lost.
We know he was born in Santo Domingo- so from here in Texas- where do we start? Would an aunt who lives down there be able to obtain it for him?
One more thing- how much should obtaining the birth cerificate cost? We would send the money to his aunt, but I don't want to send too much.

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
A certified and "Oficializado" certificate will cost about RD$1000. If you were to do it yourself, stand in line, wait, etc etc...it would cost about RD$500.

However, you need to know the date, the place and above all the "circumscripci?n" where the person was born.

I think I would budget about US$60 for this one...to pay for transporting a person from one place to another....

HB

David34

Mar 3, 2007
I have an issue, I sent my stepdaughters birthcertificate back to DR via regular mail (my wife almost killed me) and now as you can imagine it is lost in DR somewhere. My wife is telling me that to get another one is very expensive, in her words the reasong being - The new certificate would have to be taken to "La Cansillereia". Please tell me if this sound correct or if she's forgetting something.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Canciller?a = Chancellery or Foreign Office. Lots more work.

It will probably get here in 5 or 6 months. I got a Christmas card last June.

HB

David34

Mar 3, 2007
Hillbilly, I recieved the Mailed birth certificate, back in the US. I mailed it to DR May 15th and was returned to me Aug 22. Hey 3 months, better than your 5 months, must mean the mailing system in Dr is getting better!!