Visa for Kenyan living in Ottawa

mattm

Feb 28, 2007
Hi Folks,

My Canadian friend and his Kenyan girlfriend would like to visit the D.R. She is a landed immigrant in Canada, employed, holding a Kenyan passport. I gather that a visa is required, the question I have is... how long would this process take, and how much does it cost? We're in Ottawa, and there is an embassy here. Anyone have experience with this?

thanks in advance :)

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
If she is a legal resident in Canada, she will only need her residence card and a birth certificate and photo ID. She should double check contacting the Embassy in Canada and her transporting airline. This is important because there have been cases where the airline has not been up to date and may not accept to transport her. If she does her homework and knows what is correct, she can argue her case in time.

That is, of course, if she is flying direct from Canada to the Dominican Republic.

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
That is, of course, if she is flying direct from Canada to the Dominican Republic.

Without hijacking this thread, I think you mean non-stop, Dolores. Direct just means that you don't change airplanes, but there can be stops. Non-stop means that you take off in Canada and your first (and only) stop is in the DR.

Gregg

mattm

Feb 28, 2007
If she is a legal resident in Canada, she will only need her residence card and a birth certificate and photo ID. She should double check contacting the Embassy in Canada and her transporting airline. This is important because there have been cases where the airline has not been up to date and may not accept to transport her. If she does her homework and knows what is correct, she can argue her case in time.

Thanks Dolores. The Dominican Embassy site seems to indicate that they care about the passport (hers being Kenyan) more than the fact that you are legal in Canada...and other experienced of my Kenya friend indicate that the documentation stating you are legal to be in Canada is only of significance when returning to Canada.

I hope you're right, we're trying to do a last minute trip :)

Last edited:

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Matt you say she is a "landed immigrant", anyone that immigrated before 2002 would have to apply for a "permanent resident card". After 2002 immigrants receive their "permanent resident card" when they arrive in Canada. Make sure of what documentation your friend has because she will need her "permanent resident card" to get back into Canada.

There's a difference between "landed immigrant" papers and a "residency card"

This is what is on the Canadian website;

The Permanent Resident Card is the official proof of your status as a permanent resident in Canada.
This wallet-sized plastic card is required for all permanent residents of Canada seeking to re-enter Canada on a commercial carrier (airplane, boat, train or bus).
Since June 2002, all new permanent residents automatically receive their first Permanent Resident Card as part of the immigration process.
If you came to Canada as a permanent resident before June 2002, the Permanent Resident Card replaces your original landing papers.

It is the only acceptable proof of your status as a permanent resident of Canada. If you leave the country, you must show this document when you return to Canada by commercial carrier.

The Permanent Resident Card expires every five years. Check the expiry date and apply for a new one well before you plan to travel outside Canada.

Taken from Permanent Resident Card

mattm

Feb 28, 2007
Ok, do I am not 100% sure of documentation, but I do know she travels internationally and always gets back into Canada. What I wonder is can she get into the D.R. without a visa, and if she needs a visa...how long does that take? The embassy website in Canada is a trainwreck.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
You never know what they are going to do. My mother-in-law, a Dominican Passport holder and Candian permanent resident went to the DR without her permanent resident Card. When she showed up at the Airport in Santo Domingo, American Airlines wasn't going to let her on the flight even though she had already flown down, had a sorts of ID showing that she was a resident of Ontario, Canada. Fortunately she has a ten year American Visa, so we told them she was only going as far as Miami(transfer) so they let her on. Once in Miami no problem getting on the Flight to Toronto and in Toronto no problem. So this summer freshly armed with her permanent resident Card, an Dominican Passport off went my wife and her. She did not have to show her permanent resident card in Canada, the USA, or the DR.
Based on our experiences, and other immigrants to Canada flying direct with a permanent resident Card should be enough but why not contact the DR Embassy in Ottawa. Go there in person, because they are terible at answering e-mails or the phone.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Thanks Dolores. The Dominican Embassy site seems to indicate that they care about the passport (hers being Kenyan) more than the fact that you are legal in Canada...and other experienced of my Kenya friend indicate that the documentation stating you are legal to be in Canada is only of significance when returning to Canada.

I hope you're right, we're trying to do a last minute trip :)

I am sorry, I gave you wrong information. She does not need a birth certificate -- I was thinking of Canadian citizens -- if she has a passport!

To be best of my understanding, if she has a valid Kenyan passport and can show proof she is a legal resident (permanent residence card) in Canada, she will not be required to get a visa. Only If she only had the valid Kenyan passport, the Dominican authorities would require her to get a visa.

Regardless, I recommend that you check what your chosen airline carrier has in their computer for this case, because you do not want unpleasant surprises at the airport. The airlines many times have been wrong. That is why if they have something different in their system, you may have time to establish what is correct.

mattm

Feb 28, 2007
I am sorry, I gave you wrong information. She does not need a birth certificate -- I was thinking of Canadian citizens -- if she has a passport!

To be best of my understanding, if she has a valid Kenyan passport and can show proof she is a legal resident (permanent residence card) in Canada, she will not be required to get a visa. Only If she only had the valid Kenyan passport, the Dominican authorities would require her to get a visa.

Regardless, I recommend that you check what your chosen airline carrier has in their computer for this case, because you do not want unpleasant surprises at the airport. The airlines many times have been wrong. That is why if they have something different in their system, you may have time to establish what is correct.

Update:

The IATA system that the airlines use indicates that a Visa is necessary, even considering alien resident status. I guess we need to bite the bullet and get a visa. :(

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
I called the Consular Department at the Ministry of Foreign Relations in Santo Domingo for you. I confirmed that Kenya is indeed one of the exceptions to the rule of citizens of foreign countries that are legal residents in Canada that need visa. Thus, she will need to apply for a visa.

DR1 - Travel

mattm

Feb 28, 2007
I called the Consular Department at the Ministry of Foreign Relations in Santo Domingo for you. I confirmed that Kenya is indeed one of the exceptions to the rule of citizens of foreign countries that are legal residents in Canada that need visa. Thus, she will need to apply for a visa.

DR1 - Travel

Dolores, thanks so much for that. We also got hold of the Embassy here and also heard the confirmation.

For anyone in the future reading this, the DR Embassy in Ottawa has quoted a time frame of 2 weeks for rourist Visa issuance. Hopefully this helps someone in the future!

Feb 7, 2007
/ 29JUL07 / 0420 UTC
National KENYA (KE) /Residence CANADA (CA)
Embarkation CANADA (CA)
Destination DOMINICAN REPUBLIC (DO)

DOMINICAN REPUBLIC (DO)

Passport and visa required.

Minors:
for detailed information see For details, click here .

Visitor must hold:
- return or onward ticket (one-way ticket allowed if born in
Dominican Rep. or if being foreign minor, but travelling
with parents who are nationals of Dominican Rep.); and
- all documents required for next destination.

Persons born in the Dominican Rep. are considered nationals of
the Dominican Rep., regardless if having another nationality.
Passenger must hold documents required for nationals of the
Dominican Rep.
Exempt are: female passengers who have obtained another
nationality by marriage.

Non-compliance with entry regulations will result in
deportation on same aircraft and carriers will be fined USD
1,000.- for transporting passengers with improper documents.