Renting an apartment in Punta Cana / Bavaro

piranha

Jul 20, 2007
Hi there. I am a new member to DR1, currently living in the UK but moving out to the DR in the next 2-3 months. Firstly, like many others, I?d like to say a massive thank you to DR1 and all you forum members ? the site is hugely helpful and massively appreciated! Keep up the good work!

I do still have a few questions though and I have posted a few different messages across the forum ? I hope you guys don?t mind and I really hope that you can help me out. I have spent many hours reading through the whole site and message boards thoroughly - and used the search button! - in the hope that I don?t waste anyone?s time or ask the same questions yet again!?

I am looking to rent an apartment in the Punta Cana / Bavaro area. I will be living on my own. Ideally, it would be 2 bedrooms but a 1 bedroom apartment with all of the required facilities would definitely be considered. If possible, I would be looking for the following features and facilities:

- Fully furnished
- All appliances (washing machine, refrigerator, oven etc)
- Air conditioning (good quality!)
- Fast internet
- Telephone
- Cable TV
- Shower (and bath, if possible)
- Burglar alarm
- Inverter / Generator
- Safety deposit box
- Parking
- Secure & safe complex / neighbourhood

(And a small (shared) pool would be a bonus!)

- Do properties and developments such as this exist in the Punta Cana / Bavaro area?

- Can anyone recommend any rental agents, property developments, websites or resources that I could contact to enquire about suitable properties in this area?

- If so, what is a realistic price per month (including all maintenance charges etc)?

- I have read elsewhere on the DR1 forum that up to 6 months rent in advance is sometimes expected but it also says that you shouldn?t pay more than 2 months in advance (1 months rent in advance plus 1 months rent as a bond / deposit). What exactly is the normal amount expected in advance?

- Is a ?fiador? guarantor usually required? If they are not required, is it beneficial to have one anyway? (for example, to reduce the amount of money required in advance).

- Is it advisable and normal practice to pay a lawyer to review the rental contract etc?

- What is the usual notice period in a rental contract if you wish to leave the property?

- Aside from the first months rent and a deposit / bond, do you does the tenant usually have a to the agent a commission fee or does the landlord pay that?

Many thanks.

Lucille

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
almost all of the apartments meet those requirements, if they don't have internet you can install your phone line on your own. go to www.dr1.com and check classifieds and go to super casas, go to bavaro town and you will find whatever you want there . try to negotiate with the owner or manager but usually is 3 months 2 months deposit, one month in advance and the tenant pays the real estate agent and also pay for the contract. maybe with your credit report, picture id, and bank references you won't need a garantor . Good luck... lucille

wallpaper4

Jul 28, 2007
Renting/Leasing Apartment

I am planning on moving to the DR (Bavaro) for work very soon. I have been investigating the rental of a furnished apartment. I understand that the typical deposit is 3 months rent (two deposits and first month rent).

1) If I wire the full amount to an American account number given to me by the leasing/sales agent, what assurances can I ask for to know there won't be any fraud?

2) Is fraud common in these type of transactions?

3) If I send money today to reserve the apartment, but want to start renting in mid-September, will the landlord understand this and start the lease on Sep. 15 as opposed to the date I send in the 'reservation' money?

4) How do I get the two deposits back if I decide to terminate the lease after one year? Is there going to be difficulty in doing this?

5) Or does it all depend on the landlord's integrity and the level of my trust? ;)

Thanks!

A soon-to-be expat

Feb 7, 2007
1) If I wire the full amount to an American account number given to me by the leasing/sales agent, what assurances can I ask for to know there won't be any fraud?

None. Ask for references.

2) Is fraud common in these type of transactions?

Uusally not

3) If I send money today to reserve the apartment, but want to start renting in mid-September, will the landlord understand this and start the lease on Sep. 15 as opposed to the date I send in the 'reservation' money?

He may be willing, ask. Everything depends on what your contract says as the lease start date.

4) How do I get the two deposits back if I decide to terminate the lease after one year? Is there going to be difficulty in doing this?

You won't. You'll just need to use it up.

5) Or does it all depend on the landlord's integrity and the level of my trust? ;)

Depends who is your landlord.

DanaP

May 23, 2007
PC rental

sorry to intrude on this thread, but I also will be looking for an apartment to rent in the PC area. I am planning to move this fall with my 5 year old and am looking for a furnished, 2 bdrm in a safe area. preferrably it would be close to the school & the beach. I am hoping for a price range of 4-600/month & will be looking to rent for a year.

I will be in PC this Aug 22-26 and am hoping to see some apartments during my stay. I would love any advice, names & numbers that folks may have that could assist me in my search. Thanks much!!

d

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2007
DanaP, furnished apt in Punta Cana with appliances, 2 BR, for 400 to 600 dollars per month? I'd say, slim chance. You will most likely pay that for unfurnished one. Maybe you can get a furnished studio for that money. Not a chance for 2 BR.

Sharkyitis

Aug 2, 2007
When I rent an apartment that has a TV satellite dish, what kind of satellite receiver will I most likely need? Are there competing companies or is there a monopoly?