list of eco-friendly hotels or projects?

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Hi all - I live in SD city proper and quite regularly long for a country break. Do you know of any hotels/inns or projects that host guests around the country? It would be great to list them - somewhere where one is not assaulted by bachate/meregue music from the disco all afternoon? Where one can just sit in nature? I am really dying for a bit of peace and quiet!! Thanks --

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
mountainannie: On the North Coast, east of Gaspar Hernandez. On the ocean. "Los Gringos". Sorry I do not have web sight, but google and you should be able to find them. A real "get away" with enough comforts.

Regards and wish I could get away too. Ringo

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
I believe we compiled such a list some time ago. Mountainannie, I don't have much time to go into searching mode, but you'll find a thread like this somewhere in travel. From Punta Cana through to Las Galeras.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
rustic vs. eco friendly

well, yes, rustic is fine by me - I don't need it to be powered by solar or have self composting toilets. Guess I was looking for the closest "country" spots to SD- somewhere where it is quiet enough to hear the birds, dark enough to see the night sky, where there might be a walk in nature, a place to sit by a stream or river? Yes, I am sure there are lots of places between Punta Cana and Las Galeras - but it will take a day to get there...... How about outside the Capital? But yes, I will search and thanks --

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
There is an Austrian with an eco-tourism hotel, focused on mountainbikers and other outdoor sports like kayak, pretty isolated, in the mountains of Ocoa. That's not too far from the capital, although getting there with public transport is a bit of a hassle.
Gira Dominicana - Rancho Cascada
Dominican Republic, Rancho Cascada - Travel, Loding & Vacation
He's a very friendly guy, and although he mostly advertises all-included mountainbike trips for bikers from Europe, I'm sure he'll accomodate someone from the capital who just wants to walk in nature.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
Thanks and more

That ranch looks great - I do ride horseback - or used to- so will definitely check it out.

I found another link- only in French - but perhaps someone has contact information in Spanish.

If anyone knows any other projects like these? I would love to take trips and see them - sort of open up the eco-tourism market a bit. I know that there is a lot of talk about different areas.

Let's keep the list growing.

ECHOWAY, O? partir?___________>>> Tourisme solidaire, ?cologique ?thique, ?quitable, responsable <<<___________partout dans le MONDE!!!

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
How about some better directions and contacts?

Thanks for the link as I was trapped searching all the dr1. postings on ecofriendly and got taken away reading about Haiti. How about some contact numbers for the places and any notes on whether or not we can stay there? I am really looking for lodgings that have a bit of peace and serenity- electricity is nice but not required but wow- I really don't like rats.....

minerva_feliz

May 4, 2009
A nice surprise...

I had NO IDEA that was there! I think few people do. I passed through there this past weekend, and saw just a tiny sign kind of in the middle of nowhere that said "Barahona Coralsol" and thought it was just some failed remnant from an attempt at tourism in the area. Guess I'm wrong!

I hope to go check it out, would like to see what the rooms look like and what makes it worthy of being called "eco" friendly...

Kozy

Jun 1, 2002
peace and tranquility rule!

Hotel La Catalina is the answer--www.lacatalina.com-- 2 hours and 10 minutes from the capital, in Cabrera on the north coast. On the side of the mountain with beautiful views of the coastline below- a hotel situated within a 3 acre garden. Peace and tranquility rule,with the friendliest staff on earth and great prices. Located just 10 minutes from Playa Grande, the gem of the north coast. We are the cure for the all-inclusiuve blues and the hectic pace of the city. I work here and never get tired of the inspiring serenity. All sorts of stuff to do also. K