Oviedo Lagoon - Southwest DR

Motorcycler

Jan 20, 2007
www.motorcycler.com
The Oviedo Lagoon is a very interesting destination for wildlife lovers and conservationists. This video shows the results of local efforts by the residents of that community in putting together a visitors package that is organized with well defined objectives.

Oviedo Lagoon Video

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Bravo! Maravilloso! ...

Of course, the YouTube format is so limiting.... I imagine that a commercial production would require greater use of wide-angle lenses, aerial shots, etc...

Only yesterday I listened to a TV interview of Felucho Jimenez (Minister of Tourism) ranting that the Parque National Jaragua was the product of improvisation and should be chopped up for development. He mentioned that he has never seen any of the endangered species purported to live there. He even joked about them! Of course, all he wants is to get his hands on some more real estate. He probably has sold it already! At one point, Felucho looked directly into the camera, and threatened to sue all those who have accused him of owning real estate. I swear the guy looked drunk or high on drugs.

Again, contratulations, Motorcycler!

Kiboko

Dec 26, 2006
We spent a very interesting morning on the lagoon with the guide featured in this video. He was very knowledgeable about the flora and fauna of the lagoon and about the area, and we saw many iguanas, flamingos and other bird species, and some petroglyphs. The trip took about 2 1/2 hours altogether and it was VERY hot, so hats and sunscreen are a must. Wear clothes that you don't mind getting wet and salty from the splash when the boat is going fast. A trip to this region as a whole is highly recommended.

Marilyn

Bronze
May 7, 2002
Amazingly beautiful!!!

I've been to the lagoon but never went on the boat trip, I won't miss it next time. Those birds are amazingly beautiful, Felucho es un hdlgp, pardon my French.

Motorcycler

Jan 20, 2007
www.motorcycler.com
Bravo! Maravilloso! ...

Of course, the YouTube format is so limiting.... I imagine that a commercial production would require greater use of wide-angle lenses, aerial shots, etc...

Only yesterday I listened to a TV interview of Felucho Jimenez (Minister of Tourism) ranting that the Parque National Jaragua was the product of improvisation and should be chopped up for development. He mentioned that he has never seen any of the endangered species purported to live there. He
even joked about them! Of course, all he wants is to get his hands on some more real estate. He probably has sold it already! At one point, Felucho looked directly into the camera, and threatened to sue all those who have accused him of owning real estate. I swear the guy looked drunk or high on drugs.

Again, contratulations, Motorcycler!

Thanks Mirador... How I wish I could have better equipment, time, resources, etc. etc. But I did promise the Oviedo gang that I would put their face on the internet and support their cause. It is strictly a local Dominican run operation.

The guides are well informed and trained and they are from the barrio in Oviedo. This place is truly a haven for wildlife and it is just as interesting that Saturnino has helped organize the community so that everyone recognizes the potential and all get into the full swing. It will take a while longer for them to get together on a plan but it is so interesting to see even the little ones as this Richie Ricardo memorize from the guides their talk and see their interest in this lagoon.My best to them for sure.

THE FOLLOWING IS FOR ALL WHO READ THIS...
In as far as the Oviedo Lagoon is concerned I would appreciatte anyone that reads this to carry this video everywhere they can. To tell others, to inform in and out of the DR and spread the word so that Felucho and his satraps can see that they can not sweep these local, hard working Dominicans under the rug of their own senseless ambition. Neither can they trade the patrimony of this haven of wildlife for their unchecked avarice.

Thanks once again...

Motorcycler

Jan 20, 2007
www.motorcycler.com
We spent a very interesting morning on the lagoon with the guide featured in this video. He was very knowledgeable about the flora and fauna of the lagoon and about the area, and we saw many iguanas, flamingos and other bird species, and some petroglyphs. The trip took about 2 1/2 hours altogether and it was VERY hot, so hats and sunscreen are a must. Wear clothes that you don't mind getting wet and salty from the splash when the boat is going fast. A trip to this region as a whole is highly recommended.

My sentiments exactly....also take a lot of water as the rebound of the sun on the water will make you sweat profusely. If you are not acostumed to the tropical heat, please take appropiate measures...BUT GO on the trip!!! You wll enjoy it.

Motorcycler

Jan 20, 2007
www.motorcycler.com
Marilyn the only thing worse than a hdlgp is a ingoramus with a sense of self importance and diligence. Specially dangerous is when both of these reside at the same address.

Marilyn

Bronze
May 7, 2002
Marilyn the only thing worse than a hdlgp is a ingoramus with a sense of self importance and diligence. Specially dangerous is when both of these reside at the same address.

Well said, I hope someone can stop him before he sells off all of our protected areas for his own personal benefit.