Help me define 'eco-friendly", please?

slrguy

Oct 17, 2006
This term means so many things, to so many people.

I'm a real estate developer by trade, but work almost exclusively outside the US, when I build- which isn't as often as it once was. ;)

I am in the VERY early stages of looking at a project that, if I proceed, will likely be my last. No- I'm not so old, LOL- but this project would be a long-term labor of love, as opposed to down and dirty.

I have access to some land in the southwest part of DR. Old coffee land, which has lain fallow for a couple decades, at least. I can get a very attractive price on the land - attractive enough so that if I proceed, I'll have no bank breathing down my neck. Several hundred acres are involved. For obvious reasons, I can't be too specific at this point.

For years I have looked, in several countries, for a place to build an "eco-friendly" semi-resort. By this I mean a place where solar and/or wind power is utilized as much as possible (given the costs involved, these "alternate" power sources are NOT cheap). I intend a small hotel, with restaraunt/bar - and see using a significant piece of the land for orchards/gardens, to supply both the hotel and my buyers with very fresh, possibly organic, produce and fruits. Also- replanting coffee for internal use makes some sense to me- only because I've always wanted to grow my own.;)

The homes built would be of our design, for sale to interested parties, utilizing passive design schemes for cooling, and the community would have very strict restrictive covenants governing changes to the structures.(no- I am NOT soliciting sales- only trying to explain my intent). Obviously, these covenants could be utilized for governing "green" usages, also- if the costs involved do not completely eliminate all markets. (I am seeing this as primarily a US/Euro buyers market, although maybe I get surprised later!) I would hope that it is possible to build such a place, that has nearly zero dependance on the local power grid- for obvious reasons. LOL Also, a self-contained water treatment plant, for recycling water is high on the list.

The eternal problem with designing/developing projects of this sort is- none of these green technologies are cheap. Becoming cheaper, yes- but still not cheap. It would be fairly easy to build a green utopia, if recouping costs were not an issue. :cheeky: I'm not an environmental engineer, not an engineer of any sort - just a guy who would take pride in building a small community that over time contibutes to the knowledge base of environmental possibilities, while providing a place where eco-friendly folks are not ashamed of their consumerism. LOL

I'd really be grateful for any/all input on defining "eco-friendly" - as well as ways to implement the concept. I have a list of ideas, but have specifically NOT spoken of them, except for the obvious stuff. I can't promise anything at this point, anyway - but even if the project never proceeds, for me at least, the discussion could be enlightening, and I hope for others, too...

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Maybe a phrase borrowed from chemical processes will do, such as compatible con el medio ambiente, or, medioambientalmente compatible

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
eco friendly dr- style

For me, here in this country where I have been for the last three years - "ecofriendly" would mean someplace I could go to see the stars, be in nature and not be assaulted by the noise of motor bikes or loud music. I have yet to find it but think next year I will be able to head up into the mountains and find a place with NO electricity and perhaps that will take care of it.

Just came back from a "trip to the beach" which here means loud music by the pool, assualting you on the beach, well out into the water!

Just quiet, with trees and birds and nature --- ahhhhhhh what I wouldn't give! Problem is that such isolation is becoming pricier and pricier so that well, the best I can hope for is to perhaps dive "down" into the campo a bit and find it.

snowqueen

Dec 15, 2004
LEED Certification

Something that is becoming a standard in Canada and I believe USA is for a developer to obtain LEED certification. This looks at many different aspects of development, water conservation, reducing the need for energy, reducing waste, etc. In the attached link you will find additional information and a start for further research.

Enermodal Engineering - LEED Explained

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Simply - Simply stated - when development has no harmful effect on the natural environment and its inhabitants.

There are many books written .. some better than others. Let me know if you want some suggestions.

The eternal problem with designing/developing projects of this sort is- none of these green technologies are cheap. Becoming cheaper, yes- but still not cheap. It would be fairly easy to build a green utopia, if recouping costs were not an issue.

Sustainable design and building methodology can be effected at the same price or cheaper than conventional design and methodology. Sustainability done correctly includes the sustainability of the "pockets of the developer". Throwing money at it, is not sustainable. Paying the correct price while doing the correct thing, is. Eco-Friendly is a term that hides much. You may be using non-sustainable technologies and materials in your business but if you clean a park once every 6 months, you call yourself eco-friendly. So for me, the correct term is sustainability and not eco-friendliness. The point of departure between sustainability and conventional development is different .. you design for sustainability, you don't buy technologies for sustainability.

The methods are well-tried, true and tested through history of mankind. One does not need anything new and you do not need expensive new technologies. (I have nothing against new technologies).

So, technologies and green in one sentence? ;) I would suggest that you go and have a look at a few truly sustainable projects. If you pm me where you are, I'll probably be able to suggest something. (Remember these days there is a lot of hype and everyone calls themselves green ... it is refreshing to see the authentic thing).

Implementation starts at the design phase and the design phase starts with sane and proper assessment of the site and what 'human load' it should carry and what method of construction is best suited for the area and what local renewable materials are available. (By definition, Wood is renewable, Plaster Board is not.) This includes power, water, waste management, infrastructure and construction - it also includes labor and humane labor policies. It includes the pattern of breezes, where the sun comes up and where it goes down and natural landscape features, including trees.

Construction method and materials are designed/chosen in harmony with your environment and the environmental issues on your building site. You're not friendly, your in harmony.

You build as a coherent whole with the environment, so materials utilized are different from conventional design (No cement block or plaster board here)

The process of construction is wholly different obviously, because you'll not be using conventional materials, but sustainable materials.

The method of utilizing labor is different in that sustainability builders automatically educate the workers on a work site .. (the complete project is done in a sustainable manner and no-one gets exploited - not tears-in-the-eyes or hippy-dippy, but sustainable and sane). Construction is made to last at least 300 years, and not 50 with a few coats of paint and rotten walls and painting in between.

while providing a place where eco-friendly folks are not ashamed of their consumerism. LOL

Of course you get green yuppies that are buying their way to being 'sustainable'. Again, true sustainability is not ostentatious but is inherently striking and beautiful. A person who lives in a sustainable house in a sustainable community served by sustainable electricity, water and waste management, most probably does not suffer from the consumerism disease. What they do suffer from, is getting people accountable for what they manufacture. So, yes, if they want 6 tv's they will have 6 tv's but probably bought from the company that follows sustainable design methodology in their manufacture and complete waste management should the appliance break or become obsolete. So, complete life cycles instead of buying green for the sake of it and because it is all the rage and hip.

I'd really be grateful for any/all input on defining "eco-friendly" - as well as ways to implement the concept. I have a list of ideas, but have specifically NOT spoken of them, except for the obvious stuff. I can't promise anything at this point, anyway - but even if the project never proceeds, for me at least, the discussion could be enlightening, and I hope for others, too...

So, the people around me that are sustainable designers and builders tell me one needs to start with a site assessment utilizing a knowledgable sustainable designer. The 'list' is already in their heads .. one does not need to compile one ;) Then, once site issues are known, you go to a sustainable engineer, who will tell you if the design is fitting and right and the process of verifying the design starts.

Two weeks ago, I participated in a community frame raising. The house is timber frame construction with strawbale walls. The inherent design follows sukiya japanese design principles. The complete raising was done with some fellows who really know what they are doing. It is breathtakingly beautiful and costs just the same as a similar house with non-sustainable materials. The raising was planned to include the community and the whole community turned up to help and participate, bring food, drinks and chat awhile. It did not have the feel of a hard-hat construction site, but a community celebration.

Geez, this is becoming a newspaper. I guess for you the first decision would be if you want to be 'eco-friendly', or 'sustainable' in what you do.

slrguy

Oct 17, 2006
Thanks for the initial responses.

In a nutshell, what I envision is...an approach that minimizes long-term impact on the land, and provides the sort of environment described by Mountainannie above.

I understand very well that this approach is begun in the infancy of a project- that's why I am asking questions now.

All projects require a balance between environmental responsibility and economic feasibility, I think. While it is heartening to hear about folks participating in the construction of a timber-framed home, my gut feeling is that a community of a couple hundred stawbale homes may send me faster to bankruptcy court than to Nirvana. ;) "Build it and they will come" is a cute phrase, but I'm unwilling to gamble my economic future on it. LOL

What I AM willing to do is talk to anyone who has the expertise to help- engineers, etc. I have an architect committed - but she never took "God 101" in school, so is very flexible in her approach. I am not afraid to pay well for good advice and counsel. I am also willing to devote acreage to any group who needs land for "sustainability" research - groves, nurseries, whatever. I don't envision EVER building on more than about half the land involved, maximum. These leaves a fair amount of land (upwards of 150 acres)for long-term research, if there's a demonstrable need for this...

Thinking this through, a little more strategically, I'd like to have as much input as I can get, both from professionals and from folks with a passion for these issues. I'd love to have names of local planners/engineers/vendors, etc. with whom I can start learning more. If I can get enough input from planners on a general basis to convince me that a project like this is economically feasible- it will be a pretty simple thing to convene a "charette" on site to begin the real process, I think.

As has already been demonstrated, my orginal purpose in this thread was to help define terminology. It still is. Already, it's pretty plain that sustainability should be the goal, I think- not the generic "eco-friendly".

And for a whole host of reasons, I have ALWAYS involved the local community in my projects. If this one proceeds, it will be even more a community project. I have no interest in an "AI Resort" approach - I want to encourage the homeowners to take an active interest in the local community, as well as the local environment. In my experience- everyone wins in these situations.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
my gut feeling is that a community of a couple hundred stawbale homes may send me faster to bankruptcy court than to Nirvana. ;)

In the DR yes ... it is not a locally used and good method for the circumstances there. But, the question is, what is?

I forgot to say, the example house is for a retiring librarian. Money is certainly not flowing like water but it is employed sanely.

"Build it and they will come" is a cute phrase, but I'm unwilling to gamble my economic future on it. LOL

That would truly not be sustainable.

Last edited:

mariaobetsanov

Jan 2, 2002
Here there is a problem, most construction and development is done with no define care, when they construct with cement most of it is mix on site, with no equipment and the land around all construction is left in a ecological mess. I am in Santiago, next door a building was build, I was led to believe that the company that was going to build would protect my health. Now I find myself with chronic asthma, had my ovaries removed, been passing kidney stones and find that there is no organized system of government that punish polluters, I in the other hand are considered a nut. My doctor has told me to moved out of my house, the ground is so polluted that only when a cement processing plant usually is the soil so contaminated.

slrguy

Oct 17, 2006
Jesus, Maria- what did they build next to you?

I've been in the construction business for 30+ years, and never heard of cement causing such problems.

You sure they didn't build a toxic waste dump????