Dominicans in Hollywood

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
I just found out Judy Reyes, a.k.a Carla Espinosa on NBC's show sitcom "Scrubs", is of Dominican decent. She was born in New York, raised in Chicago, and is the daughter of Dominican parents. If anyone knows of any other actors/actresses, singers, entertainers, etc who are of Dominican decent please post...thanks.

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
Some that come to mind are:

Alfonso Ribeiro (Carlton Banks) on Fresh Prince of Bel Air
Maria Montez (famous in the 50s film era)
Tristan Wilds (Dixon Wilson) 90210
Michelle Rodriguez (fast and furious)

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
What Carleton??? Makes sense. And as for Carla from scrubs, apparently she is the daughter of some famous dominican singer, dont know who though.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Alfonso Ribeiro / Carlton is not Dominican, his parents are from Trinidad & Tobago.

Are you saying we can't trust Wikipedia any more? ;)

Someone explain how one can't be of Dominican decent if your family is origially from the Domincan Republic :confused:

Ribeiro was born in New York City and his family is originally from Dominican Republic. In an interview, he corrected the misconception that he is of Dominican descent.[5][6] Ribeiro is the grandson of the late Roaring Lion, noted as one of the greatest Calypsonians.

These links don't seem to work

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
It seems someone added some information to wikipedia without correcting the opposite (in the same sentence)...however wikipedia refers to an article where he says himself his parents are not Dominican.

^ "A Chat with Alfonso Ribeiro". Bullz-Eye.com. 2008-08-21. A Chat with Alfonso Ribeiro, Alfonso Ribeiro interview, "Catch 21", Fresh Prince of Bel-Air. Retrieved 2009-07-26. "I personally think that IMDB and some of those Wikipedia things are absolutely ridiculous, because I have been trying to write in to them and tell them, ?I didn?t do this,? and they never change it. Like, supposedly, my parents are from the Dominican Republic. My parents are from Trinidad and Tobago!"

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
Mauricio,

Can you investigate John Lightgow too? Wiki says his father is Dominican born. So that means he is "somewhat" Dominican :)

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Why not ? After all most Dominicans are pale and blue eyed just like John Lithgow. Why do you think the DR is referred to as the Caribbean version of Sweden.

Hey Michael Weston, welcome to the wonderful world of being a sock and exposed for all to see:ermm:

Last edited: