Spirit to create hub in DR?

Jun 5, 2004
I have heard that Spirit is trying to set up a little hub in SDQ like Iberia tried in the 1990's. Does anyone have any more info. on this? I find this hard to believe and if it is true I doubt that it will happen. Since the big AA was unable to get the permissions i doubt that Spirit would either hopefully I am wrong.

DAKRA

Bronze
Feb 21, 2007
Not a Chance!

I really doubt that Spirit will setup a hub in the DR. They are a true discount airline like southwest and they try to fill every seat to make a buck. I seriously doubt that they are gonna do that. They like so many other airlines and trying to find new ways to get our CASH from us. I belive that they are gonna start renting pillows and blankets - as you know, Spirit does NOT have any blanket or pillows on their flights - So they are probably gonna try to do the same as the other guys do with head sets.

:ermm:

boca chica dave

Sep 25, 2004
DR airport fees are to high

Doubt this could be a hub if airport fees remain at $125. Tampa is negotiating with Spirit now to be a hub for Latin America. No idea how this would effect ops in Ft. Lauderdale.

jruane44

Bronze
Jul 2, 2004
A, A
To all Dominican and other nationality that love the DR. I have an idea to mitigate curruption in the DR.

History tells us that in order to achieve something in life we should sacrifice something.

All dominican and others should stop flying to the dominican republic every year stop going to the resort/hotel there. This will send a message to the currupt politician and to the air line industry that we deserve to be respected.

Again sacrifice is the key. I know that some will say, i have to see my family or send money to them. You can explainn to them that this is a sacrifice that will make them better peopple in the future.

Think of what courageous dominican had to do so we can be what we are today.

To all dominican please do your part STOP FLYING TO THE DOMINICAN REPUBLIC AND VISITING THE RESORTS POLITICIAN FEED FROM THE REVENUES THAT ALL THOSE HOTEL GENERATE.

We have the power we just don't know how to use it agaist these CROOKS send them both the politician and the air line industry.

Do it for your family!

Why don't you give it a rest already.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Doubt this could be a hub if airport fees remain at $125. Tampa is negotiating with Spirit now to be a hub for Latin America. No idea how this would effect ops in Ft. Lauderdale.
Tampa is a very inexpensive airport to fly in/out of for airlines. They have some excess capacity available after the recent expansion.

(I live in Tampa.)