The Guest House Portofino

Status
Not open for further replies.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
I know several people who have stayed here. Some liked it others did not. It all depends on what you expect. Personally I would not stay here.

But, the restaurant Portofino's is fabulous! Same owners.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
This was my home away from home for my first 4 or 5 Dominican vacations. It has had better days, but provides clean basic rooms with AC and cable TV and 24/7 electricity with a new planta they got a couple of years ago. They have a tiny pool, which is nice, but not as well maintained as it could be. The maid is a terrific lady, and will gladly do a great job of laundering your clothes for a small fee. I would say that at their current rates, (I believe 850RD/night) it is no longer a great value when compared with some of the other budget hotels in POP.

It is very convenient having the restaurant next door, and the food is excellent and reasonably priced. I normally would defer to planner's local knowledge, but unless something has changed, the restaurant is owned by an Italian fellow (with a smokin hot Dominican wife), while last I heard the hotel and the property are still owned by the same Dominican family which owns the hotel Lormar on the malecon.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
When I was there in April it was being renovated.

If the rooms are being renovated, that's great news. They needed it, although they were always immaculately clean. I make a point of going to the restaurant for spaghetti galicola every trip, but haven't stayed in the hotel for a couple of years. I spent many a happy day there back when it was RD300/night and the Plata del Dia at the restaurant was RD60, never lacking ANYTHING ;) I wanted within a 5 minute walk.

Status
Not open for further replies.