Why do fares spike so high in august?

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
I am in total need of get-a-way from NYC right now...and would like to do a DR trip...but i have noticed over the years that fares spike rediculiously high over the summer and especialy august.

currently the fare from Newark is about 700+ (after fees) uSd....comapred to the normal 300-400 range. in september it dips right back down again.

any tips on finding a good fares in August?

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
jrzyguy, are you on any frequent fllyer programs ? i wish i could give you some of my frequent flyer miles. with my miles i can go to CR for 30 bucks and DR for 97 bucks :laugh: which is basically the taxs i pay.

i also noticed the spike. just 2 weeks ago the price was 369 or less. maybe it's the stock market or oil....

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Could it be due to the passport issue? Fewer people traveling means more expensive fuel prices if the plane isn't full?

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
American has $345 fare's (incl. tax) after labor day, They have $450 August right now. Just book it!

tambo'

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004

I see flights on expedia ranging from $363 to $540 leaving out of Newark to either SDQ or POP in late August. I definitely know it's about the same if you leave out of JFK.

DAKRA

Bronze
Feb 21, 2007
I think AA is "Nuts"!

I am booked with AA from Aug 18th - Sept 2nd. I just called them to see if I could arrive 1 day earlier and stay 1 day later. The price is $150 More. Are they Nuts?!!!!! :disappoin

My goal flying out in August will be to volunteer for a "Bump" so I can get another Freebie Ticket - But we'll see.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
I am in total need of get-a-way from NYC right now...and would like to do a DR trip...but i have noticed over the years that fares spike rediculiously high over the summer and especialy august.

currently the fare from Newark is about 700+ (after fees) uSd....comapred to the normal 300-400 range. in september it dips right back down again.

simple supply and demand, in August people are flying on vacations because their kids have school vacations, in September everybody is back in school or at work.

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
This happens in December and early January too... Like conchman said: supply and demand.

Many in my family pay the extra $200-$300 to Continental from Newark only because they refuse to connect or just go to JFK. Continental has no direct competition in Newark - so they can charge what they want!

SamanaJon

Jun 20, 2007
Update on Fare...

Just saw a price sale on Spirit for FLL/SDQ $29 OW and from LGA/FLL $55 OW. That makes $84 each way LGA/SDQ plus tax approx. $140. Few dates open still for month of August. Got to leave and return the same wihin a week.;)

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
jrzyguy, are you on any frequent fllyer programs ? i wish i could give you some of my frequent flyer miles.

You can use your frequent flyer miles to get a free ticket for jrzyguy. Just let him pay the taxes and fees. I am sure he will be happy. :glasses:

Feb 7, 2007
While offering frequent flyer miles for sale is not allowed, miles can be donated or offered to friends and family members. A ticket has to be applied for by the FF member in the name of the person. Ask the OP to paypal you the taxes and fees, and once you issue the ticket ask him to paypal you the "donation".

Just as a rule of thumb, the FF miles can be donated for 1 cent per mile, approximately for economy tickets and up to 3 cents per mile for business/first class tickets.

Again, remember, this must be a "donation" and not purchase offer.

But you know what I mean...

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
Indeed...i have noticed that this is not just THIS august..i see that it happens most summers. I have noticed that even when i try to book at a high rate..than many flights are full and unavailable. i Have assumed that it must be that many domincan familes travel home at this time (like easter and xmas).

I will call contintental tho. I would think that after so many trips that i might be able to get FF trip...i dont think so tho...i asked last year and i still had a way to go.

well..i might not have to worry about this problem if i get this new job next week. I just thought i would ask tho. Never really thougth about doing DR in late summer...but right now i could really use some DR and escape from NYC!!!

Rubio....is there a way to combine MY own FF miles with "donated" miles?

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
I understand that airlines in the UK tend to switch their planes to resorts such as Spain, Italy, Greece, Canaries ect at this time of year hence the price to fly here goes up as there are less planes flying here. In the months when the weather is not so good in Europe they switch to the long haul flights again and therefore the prices become cheaper. Has anyone else expereinced that?

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
Could it be due to the passport issue? Fewer people traveling means more expensive fuel prices if the plane isn't full?

Most Dominicanos travel during summer vacation and the airlines know this. We would do anything to get down there during school vacation.

Jan 5, 2006
Prices are high due to high demand. The airlines know the high traffic dates and they price their flights accordingly. Just check out flights for the last weekend in May, when a lot of people are trying to get to DR for Mother's Day. ;)

At this time of year, prices spike up from the last week of June until the first week of September. The high number of travelers comes from children being sent or taken to DR for summer vacation. Many times, you get entire familes traveling together, instead of just a single or a couple traveling. The other reason is that a lot of companies shut down or slow down during July and/or August, and all the employees are forced to take vacation during those dates, thus forcing them to make their annual DR trip during that time.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Teachers

One of the reasons for the spike is that many teachers who work the summer are off in August. Same thing happens in Puerto Rico. 1 out of every 4 people you meet on vacation are teachers.

My two cents.;)