New Photos Southwest Bahoruco, Lago Enriquillo, Bahia de Las Aguilas

PGerace

Feb 16, 2002
Saludos! I just posted some new images that I took while spending time in Bahoruco and the surrounding area.
This was my second visit in 2 years to that area. This time I had a chance to act as a tour guide to some friends and family.
I got a chance to see Lago Enriquillo & Isla Cabritos, Jimani, Duverge, and La Descubierta for the first time. I also came across a new beach called Playa La Punta in Paraiso that was gorgeous.
I will post a trip report soon but meanwhile you can view my photos here in the media gallery section at http://www.dr1.com/media/showgallery.php/cat/505 or at my own website at www.geraceimages.com.
Gracias.
Paul Gerace

Last edited:

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Your photos capture the DR as it really is, in places where many tourists don't get to go often enough.

Beautiful photos and as always a constant inspiration for shutterbugs such as myself!!!!

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Really spectacular and captivating...some really impressive work and a sign of a great travel experience.

PGerace

Feb 16, 2002
Gracias!

Thanks Berzin, DRLoca, and Lucille for taking the time to compliment my photography. I always suggest to the people staying at the all-inclusive hotels to step out for at least one day to see the real Dominican Republic. Their vacation experience is sure to be much richer.
Paul

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
That is one excellent video. I am really looking forward to reading your trip report!

Motorcycler

Jan 20, 2007
www.motorcycler.com
Paul enjoyed the latest additions to your library of images as always. Nice shots of the different sights. Incredible that e just finished doing basically the same run. And even found a scorpion just like you did. Incredible!

Thanks for sharing the photos always brings back good memories.

PGerace

Feb 16, 2002
Gracias!

Hi Motorcycler. Thanks for letting me know that you enjoyed my photos. I am also looking forward to seeing your new videos. It must be great to have the freedom to stop wherever you want and take photos or videos. I have missed so many photo opportunities because I was traveling with public transportation. I have rented a car on several trips but I prefer not to do the driving.
Paul

zak023

Done and dusted!
Feb 8, 2006
Paul you missed La playa Cienega..It?s a nice beach just a few km. of Barohouco..I go there every other day...Locals only know about it...I?m surprised that you did not include a photo....Hey we were gonna have SPAM and BEER ...Did you forget about that..........

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Which direction is that beach from Bahoruco zak? By the way, Paul posted pics from there. He spelled it with an "S", but I'd guess it's the same one you are talking about.

Last edited:

Marilyn

Bronze
May 7, 2002
Paul, I think I saw you and I was actually there when you took the picture of the old man in Bahoruco. I own the property that's right in front of his house that has a lot of coconut trees and a beautiful beach view. and I went to say goodbye to them and pay some stuff that I bought at their little grocery store when there was this man taking his picture, that was about two weeks ago.

At least I'm hoping it was you!!! I have known that family for years, his name is "Tango" and "they think" he's 90 or 92.

By the way, beautiful pictures, you captured the true colors of the beautiful but forgotten Southwest. Bahoruco is my favorite place of all, when I'm there I feel like I own the world.

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
Ok you guys, you are really making the place sound like a must do! I have a trip to the DR coming up and you have me thinking about changing my plans to visit Samana, where I've visited several times, and going instead to Bahoruco. Any suggestions? :glasses:

Marilyn

Bronze
May 7, 2002
Ok you guys, you are really making the place sound like a must do! I have a trip to the DR coming up and you have me thinking about changing my plans to visit Samana, where I've visited several times, and going instead to Bahoruco. Any suggestions? :glasses:

Well, for one, you have to have an open mind. The southwest is not as developed as the northeast. Samana is gorgeous and is my 2nd favorite place next to Barahona, but things are more primitive in the South and that's part of it's charm. There are good hotels but nothing compared to what you would find in Samana and the beaches are beautiful but rough and dangerous, except el Quemaito, but nothing like Las Terrenas or Playa Rincon, but if you want to see the colors of the Caribbean like you've never seen before, then come to Barahona and let yourself be awed by nature.

PS: there are very good hotels, I can recommend Casa bonita, Pontevedra, Costa Larimar, Coral del Sol, Hotel Paraiso, Hotel Barahona, etc.

See this link for photos of Bahoruco beach taken in front of my little house I purchase to fix and spend wonderful weekends in paradise...

Bahoruco - a photoset on Flickr

PGerace

Feb 16, 2002
Hi Zak. Yes, I did forget about the spam and beer, probably because I don't like spam and beer. But, thanks for the invitation. I think I did see the beach in La C(S)ienaga. I was taking a long walk from the town to some kind of hotel/restaurant looking to eat lunch there. Along the way I took the photograph of the white horse on the beach. It was a really nice setting, but I didn't have time to stay on that beach. Anyway the hotel/restaurant didn't have anything to offer except warm bottle of water, so I went into Barahona and ate lunch at Brisas del Caribe. Great seafood! Do you know the name that hotel/restaurant?
Thanks.
Paul

PGerace

Feb 16, 2002
Beautiful Bahoruco

Hi Marilyn. If you remember that old man pulling me close to him to whisper into my ear and not letting go for a long time then yes that was me. I didn't know why he kept such a strong grip on me. I remember him saying something like "remember me, I have lived here all of my life", and something else. It was a bit strange. Send him "saludos" for me and I hope to return and bring him the photo. I had lunch with the people I was traveling with at the Luz restaurant right by you. Very good food.
You live in a great location. That's some view.
Do you know the name and have the phone number of the new hotel/restaurant in Paraiso?. It's located on the beach. Gracias.
Paul

Marilyn

Bronze
May 7, 2002
Hi Marilyn. If you remember that old man pulling me close to him to whisper into my ear and not letting go for a long time then yes that was me. I didn't know why he kept such a strong grip on me. I remember him saying something like "remember me, I have lived here all of my life", and something else. It was a bit strange. Send him "saludos" for me and I hope to return and bring him the photo. I had lunch with the people I was traveling with at the Luz restaurant right by you. Very good food.
You live in a great location. That's some view.
Do you know the name and have the phone number of the new hotel/restaurant in Paraiso?. It's located on the beach. Gracias.
Paul

Hi Paul, yes I remember him pulling you to him, he always does that, he'll never let you go unless you pull away really hard.

I'll get you the number for the Paraiso hotel, the owner's a friend of mine, her name is Jenni. BTW, I live in Santo Domingo, but I go to Bahoruco almost every weekend; my grandmother lived there for many years, that's how I got to know and love Bahoruco and it's people so well. I will get you the number tomorrow for Hotel Paraiso, which by the way, has been recently remodeled.