another phone question...claro changes

Sep 19, 2005
ok from what i ahve heard Claro-(codetel) will be changing the format of their phones to GMS, or GSM...is that right? from the style they have now...CDNM or something like that......

my question is, will the older phones still be usefull in the long run???or will everyone HAVE to purchase new phones?

I have noticed already much worse reception with claro than before....and am still having huge issues with text messaging.( i dont think it is claro, but with all the issues they have , they are a suspect)

my GF needs a new phone very soon....I dont want to buy her the old style phone, if they will change over soon .....

bob

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
ok from what i have heard Claro-(codetel) will be changing the format of their phones to GMS, or GSM...is that right? from the style they have now...CDNM or something like that......

my question is, will the older phones still be useful in the long run???or will everyone HAVE to purchase new phones?

I have noticed already much worse reception with claro than before....and am still having huge issues with text messaging.( i dont think it is claro, but with all the issues they have , they are a suspect)

my GF needs a new phone very soon....I dont want to buy her the old style phone, if they will change over soon .....

bob
I have no inside info, but I suspect they will provide the 2 services for a long time.
Too many people have the old style to just drop it.
If they did, it would give people a chance to consider changing to another provider.
It may be wiser to buy your girlfriend the GSM model, but I wouldn't worry about the other ones becoming useless in the near future.
BTW: I am not having any bad reception, nor text messaging problems.
It may just be in your area, or the exchange you have.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
I expect Rocky is correct. They won't discontinue the old system.

However I too have experienced issues with connectivity and text messaging. At times it is good then for no reason it is bad for 2 or 3 days. Text messaging is hit and miss at best!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Go with Orange. they are the most progressive and aggressive provider today.
Seem to be in continuous expansion....
Word.
HB

Sep 19, 2005
Word.
HB

hey arent you still considered a red neck?

and if so are you actually allowed to end a sentence with "word"

anyway...do you have anything that can substantiate that claim?
I have heard very few good things about Orange in the DR...

does anyone else think that the change over from verizon to codetel means less service...maybe to make more money for the company

bob

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
hey arent you still considered a red neck?
But an educated wise ole' redneck.

and if so are you actually allowed to end a sentence with "word"
He has seniority and can say what he wants

anyway...do you have anything that can substantiate that claim?
When Hillbilly speaks, we know it's true.

I have heard very few good things about Orange in the DR...
I think a person should choose the provider that gives him the best service, where he/she lives. Both work well.

does anyone else think that the change over from verizon to codetel means less service...maybe to make more money for the company
The rumour is that they will not develop and bring in new technology and eventually run it into the ground, to, like you said, to make more money.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Word.
HB

I am thinking of changing from Orange to Claro, but not sure if Claro will be any better. here in Juan Dolio the orange phoneshardly ever ring - always go straight to voicemail, even though the signal says it is strong. messages then take for ever to come through - sometimes 12 hours. I used to pay (2 phones 9hours talk time each a month) by direct debit from UK credit card. Then when I got new card I couldn't change number for dd apart from going to Santo Domingo. So I could pay by calling up and using number over phone each month. But you need pay each phone separately. The Orange system won't take two payments fromthe same credit card in any 48 hour period. So you had to pay one, then 2 days later pay the other. It was suggested I change to Orange Max and have the two phones put on one account ....but if you are a foreigner, even with cedula and residency, you have to go to Santo Domingo. So carry on phoning twice a month with credit card details. Now they won't take foreign credit cards at all. So you have to go to the shop and pay in cash. If verizon, Claro, Codetel whatever is any better then I will leave Orange - they are doing my head in!!!!

Matilda

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I am thinking of changing from Orange to Claro, but not sure if Claro will be any better. here in Juan Dolio the orange phoneshardly ever ring - always go straight to voicemail, even though the signal says it is strong. messages then take for ever to come through - sometimes 12 hours. I used to pay (2 phones 9hours talk time each a month) by direct debit from UK credit card. Then when I got new card I couldn't change number for dd apart from going to Santo Domingo. So I could pay by calling up and using number over phone each month. But you need pay each phone separately. The Orange system won't take two payments fromthe same credit card in any 48 hour period. So you had to pay one, then 2 days later pay the other. It was suggested I change to Orange Max and have the two phones put on one account ....but if you are a foreigner, even with cedula and residency, you have to go to Santo Domingo. So carry on phoning twice a month with credit card details. Now they won't take foreign credit cards at all. So you have to go to the shop and pay in cash. If verizon, Claro, Codetel whatever is any better then I will leave Orange - they are doing my head in!!!!

Matilda
Best way to find out is ask some of your neighbours.
If you find people near you who get good reception with Claro and like the service, then go with it.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Actually based my assertion on some facts this time. Orange is installing more and more relay towers across the country. How do I know this? A good friend of mine in Santo Domingo makes the tanks that hold the diesel fuel for the gensets that operate when the lights go out. He is absolutely full of work and is producing between 11 and 12 new tanks a week, and has been for the last five months.

We have an Orange "flotilla" that works pretty good across the valley, along the North coast and Saman? and down into Santo Domingo.

I totally agree with others who have said "Ask your neighbors" ...get a "feel" for the area...some are better covered than others.

Heck, I even have a Tricom cell phone...and it works pretty good, too....

HB

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
claro is not sitting around and letting clients slip away to orange. Old codetel CDMA phones still work but the cell towers are changing over a good portion to GSM. This means the major capacity is used for GSM and not for CDMA anymore. Claro does want everyone to change over to GSM and for that reason they are having promotions, ferias to give away phones for cheap or totally free. The service with CDMA (old phone) began to suffer but with the new GSM phone, its super. I never miss a call and always have signal. What really bothers me is that most of the girls always get orange phones. These phones are totally useless in barrios and small outside neighborhoods. the phone never has any signal or the system doesn't have the capacity to process the number of calls. No wonder we always get a answering service, even before the phone rings. I hate calling orange phones.
AZB

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
..........What really bothers me is that most of the girls always get orange phones. These phones are totally useless in barrios and small outside neighborhoods.......

Why would a prominent man of your status in Cibao society be dialing anybody that lives in a barrio?

tambo'

Sep 19, 2005
ok aftab....I may shift gears......and think about getting a plan for tavina. since there are other perks to havign a plan.....there are cheaper rates to calling , plus you can designate one number as a person you call often and get a special rate for all teh calls to that number. Is there a link to claros specials???

is it also true that if you go to the main codetel office in santiago you will get better deals and specials than if you went to an independant dealer selling claro phones and services??

thanks

bob

Sep 19, 2005
ok I was trying to look up Claro specials...I cant find any on the web site...my spanish is so so

on this page is the claro post paid plans....how do they compare to orange these days?

Claro que tienes m?s

and if someone can find me a link to any specials where they show how much a new phone is when you sign up for a new 1 year agreement..Id appreciate it

thanks

bob

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Don't know that much about it but I pay 2075 RD$ for 560 mins and it looks like its 1575RD$ for Claro. So cheaper, but I'm not sure about costs to US and different pricing depending which type of phone you are calling. For me the advantage with Orange was I just just change the chip depending on where I was - UK, USA or here but with Claro it doesn't have a chip??

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Don't know that much about it but I pay 2075 RD$ for 560 mins and it looks like its 1575RD$ for Claro. So cheaper, but I'm not sure about costs to US and different pricing depending which type of phone you are calling. For me the advantage with Orange was I just just change the chip depending on where I was - UK, USA or here but with Claro it doesn't have a chip??
Some newer ones have chips (GSM) like Orange.