Dominican Colonial City

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
We were there 2 weeks ago and found there was a significant police presence. We felt safe and very much enjoyed our time. I will post photos later!

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
i have walked all around the zona colonial and have never had a problem. ANd i am not just talking about el conde and fort ozama and the "pretty" parts. I have walked many of the side streets going over to the small china town...have walked around the parks of the malecon. THe hotel i stayed at was about a 10-15 min walk from parque indepencia...and i felt totaly safe walking at night (11 pm ish?) to go to the club near the malecon (yes..there was a police presence). (i took a cab back at 2:30 am tho).

the area is very nice ...just have to beware of the typical con artists that hang around ANY touristy area.

british bulldog

Jan 21, 2006
I walk everywhere in a 2 mile radious of this area,never had any problems ,never seen any either in 5 years .Just a bit expensive .futher north towards ave 27 and east near the bus areas is risky,witnessed some cons ect ect.

DAKRA

Bronze
Feb 21, 2007
........witnessed some cons ect ect.

I too agree with british bulldog. I have been all over the place and never seen anything or experienced anything dangerous... yes, lots of cons :bandit: going on but you see that in any big city.

Just as a point of reference, I may not look like a "Typical" tourist. I am a very light skin african american guy who when tanned by the tropical sun, blends-in with the local population (I forgot to mention that I am very Handsome :cool:)