Need advice: Neighbor is making threats

NV_

Bronze
Aug 4, 2003
I live in an apartment building and for the past year have had nothing but headaches from my next door neighbor. First complaints were about the smell of smoke coming from my apartment but we do not smoke. Now he is complaining about dog smells although our apartment is kept clean and the dogs room is always clean. The past two days he has thrown bleach all over my windows and im about to lose it.

What makes the problem worse is that the jerk is a captain in the army and seems to be trying to cause problems through his "contacts". He has brought "people" (military personnel) to come and "have a talk" with me in an attempt to intimidate me and i've had it with him.

What can I do, legally, to convince this scumbag to find someone else to joder.

Last edited:

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I live in an apartment building and for the past year have had nothing but headaches from my next door neighbor. First complaints were about the smell of smoke coming from my apartment but we do not smoke. Now he is complaining about dog smells although our apartment is kept clean and the dogs room is always clean. The past two days he has thrown bleach all over my windows and im about to lose it.

What makes the problem worse is that the jerk is a captain in the army and seems to be trying to cause problems through his "contacts". He has brought "people" (military personnel) to come and "have a talk" with me in an attempt to intimidate me and i've had it with him.

Without committing suicide, there is nothing you can do, unless you have more powerful contacts than he does.
Taking legal action against him will worsen the problem.
One of the absolute worst things that can happen to a person living here is to have a bad neighbour, or worse yet, a bad neighbour with enough connections that nothing can be done about it.
I feel for ya.
I've been there, done that, got the T shirt, been laughed out of court.

NV_

Bronze
Aug 4, 2003
hehe sounds reassuring. Guess I will be moving soon but not before I get some kind of vigilante justice. Just got to be smart about it... ;)

On a serious note, if anyone, has any other advice, please offer it.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
hehe sounds reassuring. Guess I will be moving soon but not before I get some kind of vigilante justice. Just got to be smart about it... ;)

On a serious note, if anyone, has any other advice, please offer it.
If it's any consolation to you, the super bad neighbour I had (had more than one throughout the years) eventually got hers.
Carma got her and she's off dying a slow cruel death in some hospital.:bunny::bunny::bunny:
You can wish the same for yours.:eek:
I didn't want to suggest moving, but now that you mentioned it, the sooner the better.

Joshua R

Jan 2, 2006
Lol well before you move collect your dogs crap for a week, put it in a paper bag, light it on fire, knock on the door and run like hell! he'll be smelling dog sh!t for sure :laugh:

dms3611

Bronze
Jan 14, 2002
Bad Idea..............

"Guess I will be moving soon but not before I get some kind of vigilante justice".

Just move and call it "a day"....Rocky is WAY RIGHT on this.

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
Have you tried talking to him over a beer? Find out what his story is - perhaps he wants the apartment for someone else?

exactly what I was thinking. Hey don't do anything to hurt anyone. If you are gonna do a prank just wait after you move out. oh wow I just thought of something, mail him the dog poop, no note please.:cheeky:

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
He's a Captain?

Befriend a Col.

(j/k)

Call it a day. Know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em...

NV_

Bronze
Aug 4, 2003
Thanks for the comments and suggestions. The vigilante justice comment was just me at my wits end.

Sunny44

Jul 24, 2002

Wow! A very tough situation, indeed! Short of MOVING away as soon as you can, i would suggest doing everything possible to make "nice" with this man. Are you male? Or female? Cant tell from your post. If you are female you will have a little easier time of making friends. Do NOT continue to fight. You will NOT win. It is not fair and not right................just how it is there. The sooner you accept that, the easier it will be. I learned in many years of living there(from a very smart gringo that lives successfully there to this day), that one never gets anywhere with a Dominican male who has a litte bit of "power" if you try to be a harda$$. If you can make him laugh somehow, YOU will win. Dominicans love to laugh and have fun. Do whatever it takes. You will have to swallow some pride but, hey...............a small price to pay for peace of mind!
Just my two cents worth..........................
Sunny
PS: Besides if you can make friends, just think of the contact YOU will have! How better to turn this situation around!?!?!?!?!?

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
tell him you are moving out, then watch his behavior towards you, take 6 - 8 months to make the move.......................i think he wants the apt for someone else..................

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006
easiest remedy is move away. tell the guy your looking for a new place to move to so maybe hell ease up on you while your looking. Then when its time to move make sure he has no idea where your moving to and make his life a LIVING HELL in the days before you leave.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
easiest remedy is move away. tell the guy your looking for a new place to move to so maybe hell ease up on you while your looking. Then when its time to move make sure he has no idea where your moving to and make his life a LIVING HELL in the days before you leave.

As usual, great advice Beads!
Did you happen to notice the OP's problem neighbor is an Army Captain?
Slow day @ work?

tambo'

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Tambo you are faster then me..... NO one in their right mind would make his life hell on the HOPE that they will not find you after you move.... That is ASKING for more trouble then you want!

Just move - it is easier - safer and a lot less headaches. It is not right but it is smart!

british bulldog

Jan 21, 2006
Igual

If you you do what beads says my bet the captain will shoot you.sunny 44 is correct,took me soom time to accept ,swallow some pride and stay alive.I try now to smile, agree,walk the other way,then think to myself;hey i"m far more inteligent,have more money ,my health ,and a better life than those whom try to undermine me here in the dominican republic.The male dominicans all appear to have alot of connections better to lick than bite.;)