Problems with codetel internet - anyone else?

Justin Trousersnake

Jul 31, 2007
Hi All

Quick question for you, im renting an apartment in cabarete which has internet via codetel, problem is sometimes i just cant get any service, my computer shows the router picking up an excellent reception but i can get any pages to display, this will go on for ages, then as if by magic, just after i have banged my head against the wall, it start to work, then when you go and do another search, its stops recieving any pages, my landlord says his is fine, which give me cause for concern. Anyone else had the same experience and know what to do.

Please dont tell me to bang my head on the wall cause thats when it starts working.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
I have also experienced similar problems, at home, at the office, at other people's homes. It is not an isolated problem but it is intermitent. Please stop banging your head against the wall, you are giving me a headache....

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
At least try :

1. Deleting all your temporary internet files in your internet options in the tools section of internet exployer..........

2. Delete history pages and also limit your history to may 2 days.......

3. Make sure you have enough space in your "temporary internet files" setting set aside to download the pages.........

4. IF you are sharing another connection via router or wireless..........I have noticed that if someone else is downloading or uploading pics or music you will not be able to connect and will experience the problems you are having....

5. YOU or whomever has the service can also call Codetel internet support to make sure that the settings on your computer are correct........I know that the settings that I use here in POP are very different than what they are in the states.........

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I'm not a computer techie but is it the same wall you bang your head on each time which appears to make it work? I'm not being facetious, just thinking about the quality of wiring & connections.

Do have a slight problem with taking your name seriously though............

Feb 7, 2007
May be codetel's nameserver issue.

Just in your IP stetings unde ryour connection, instead of :automatic" DNS, put manual DNS.

Look up for some DNS servers on the internet.or use ns3.sprintlink.net
it's numeric IP is 204.97.212.10

do this

click START
go to CONTROL PANEL
select NETWORK CONNECTIONS
right click LOCAL AREA CONNECTION / WIRELESS CONNECTION (depending on what you use)
double click INTERNET PROTOCOL (TCP/IP)
=> GENERAL
=> leave unchanged OBTAIN IP ADDRESS AUTOMATICALLY
=> select USE THE FOLLOWING DNS SERVER ADDRESSES
=> type 204.97.212.10
CLICK OK, OK

done! you should most likely experience no more problems!

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Can you give us a few more details, Justin?
Are you hooked up by wire or wifi?
Do you know how to ping for return times?
Do you have set DNS numbers, and if so, what are they?
Give us as much info as possible.
I'm in Sosua and not suffering the same problem as you, so it's not Codetel in general.
So now we would have to isolate the problem, to be able to fix it.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
May be codetel's nameserver issue.

Just in your IP stetings unde ryour connection, instead of :automatic" DNS, put manual DNS.

Look up for some DNS servers on the internet.or use ns3.sprintlink.net
it's numeric IP is 204.97.212.10

do this

click START
go to CONTROL PANEL
select NETWORK CONNECTIONS
right click LOCAL AREA CONNECTION / WIRELESS CONNECTION (depending on what you use)
double click INTERNET PROTOCOL (TCP/IP)
=> GENERAL
=> leave unchanged OBTAIN IP ADDRESS AUTOMATICALLY
=> select USE THE FOLLOWING DNS SERVER ADDRESSES
=> type 204.97.212.10
CLICK OK, OK

done! you should most likely experience no more problems!
There's certainly no harm in trying that.
We had problems of this nature in the past which we resolved by doing what you suggest.
I am presently using the auto settings, and it's working fine, so I'm not putting too much hope in curing Justin's problem by changing/inserting DNS numbers, but like I said.
There's no harm in trying.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Bad electricity comes to my mind... No ground (falta de tierra)... ADSL routers tend to dislike unstable AC... Have an electrician check your power setup...

On the software side, if you are a Windows user, you might be eaten alive by viruses/malwares/spywares...

The Virginian

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
ROCKY - open a DOS window and enter ping followed by the IP address you wish to ping.

Eample ping 151.151.151.23 ( This is not a real IP address)

The amount a ping takes should display a few times. For more ping options enter in the same dos window ping /?

Feb 7, 2007
PING is certainly not a certain way to determine problems. At least here in the East, Codetel does not allow PING on new DSL connections (e.g. set up in the last 2 years). Basically, you will get request timed out. The gateway is blocking PING, as well as TRACEROUTE. You've got to use other tools to diagnose network errors, such as visualroute (reverse mode), myspeed PC, etc. However, the moment you get to a point of gateway/router that does not allow traceoute/ping, you are stuck in the "dark" for that portion of the network lookup.

Feb 7, 2007
I have been using SPRINTLINK's (xx.sprintlink.net) nameservers for a long time, because they are faster (well... it's Sprintlink, after all) and work 25/8/366 :)

The above suggested nameserver is ns3.sprintlink.net

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
ROCKY - open a DOS window and enter ping followed by the IP address you wish to ping.

Eample ping 151.151.151.23 ( This is not a real IP address)

The amount a ping takes should display a few times. For more ping options enter in the same dos window ping /?
Thanks.
I do know how.
I was asking Justin if he knew how, so we could make some determination of his problem.