Sosua Dump?

holacanada

Sep 8, 2004
It ? sound's ? like... !!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry for my bad english writing !!!

Holacanada from the French part of America !!!!

snowbird44

Oct 29, 2004
HolaCanada...Did you bother to watch the whole YouTube Video?

This is really disturbing and I am grateful that I would never have to be hospitalized like that.
I have heard of horror stories in public hospital in the Dominican Republic, but never saw it as graphic as this.
So, what was this group of young people doing there and what where they trying to accomplish?

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Looks like a group of people from a church who are visiting and trying to help. They appeared to be offering whatever assistance or comfort they could.

I would not want to have to go to a public hospital here. I've seen much worse then this - try the emergency room at a public hospital - and I have seen better. It is very sad - substandard care caused by overwhelming numbers and not enough money.

Anyone who can gets private insurance so they go to private clinics.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Looks like another missionary group well-intentioned. Get off plane, check in at hotel, visit dump, hospital, school, whatever, shoot video, put on Utube, show compadres back home, learn they are very lucky. If this was the dump in Sosua it is behind La Union and is a REALLY big dump.
What are they doing there? Seeing poor folks struggling to survive. Maybe some of them will make a difference one day after the exposure. Better than spending a summer in the Hamptons sipping martinis....or checking into rehab again before school starts!

Sosuany

Nov 11, 2006
What are the poor people there doing? Are they collecting bottles or something? They aren't eating garbage? I'm also curious where this dump is near? I don't know Sosua well. However, when I was there I was in the tourist areas. Pedro Clisante, Sosua Beach and etc. From the video, I see these kids trying to comfort these people by singing songs and bringing food. The hospital looks horrible. Are all hospitals like that in DR?

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
NY, next time you go to sosua get in a taxi and ride around outside of "tourist" sosua. it's a different scene...

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
NY, next time you go to sosua get in a taxi and ride around outside of "tourist" sosua. it's a different scene...
There's no doubt about that, but there's a danger that your post be interpreted to mean that people are eating garbage all over the country.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
let me clarify. it only means that getting away from sosua provides you with a different perspective on dominican life away from the tourists areas.some adventures will be good and some not so good.

disclaimer: in no way am i saying people are eating garbage all over the country.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
let me clarify. it only means that getting away from sosua provides you with a different perspective on dominican life away from the tourists areas.some adventures will be good and some not so good.
Very true, although the vast majority of my adventures outside of the tourist zones, have been wonderful.

DAKRA

Bronze
Feb 21, 2007
It's makes you want to cry. - That is why anyone and I mean anyone who is ALBE to help their fellow man/woman/child, Should and Must Do It !!!

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Very true, although the vast majority of my adventures outside of the tourist zones, have been wonderful.
Me, too, and I spend 90+% of my time away from tourist zones....

Feb 7, 2007
What are the poor people there doing? Are they collecting bottles or something? They aren't eating garbage? I'm also curious where this dump is near?

I have heard from a friend in Haina who knows some people "working" at dump there that some of these people actually earn 1000+ pesos per day "working" there and selecting and hauling stuff to sell or recycle.

Sosuany

Nov 11, 2006
I stay in tourist zones to try to be more safe. I don't even know where this dump is. I'm not sure that I would want to go there, because of safety concerns. I also try to stay safe in the tourist zones, by keeping my hand on my wallet and etc. when women rub me on the street. I saw some shanty towns and how people lived in the country on my various tours (horseback riding, atv riding, mountain bike riding).

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
wonder why You Tube didn't delete that video ?

Why would they do that? It's real life not fake. You need a strong stomach to visit Ricardo Limardo Hospital. Looks to me like that group is Crossroads (Dr. Bob's Foundation) - they do terrific work here & also it sets some of the visiting teenagers to a career path of helping others.

I covered a similar group last weekend on the news on my website (item is called 'Canadian Students In Sosua') also with a You Tube video (& also of Sosua dump & an orphanage visit). That group, Hero Holiday, build homes, schools, clinics etc. Many of the youngsters discover themselves on these trips: their priorities in life. Such trips can be life-changing events for them.