"Entitled" Dominican Citizenship

yori85

Aug 2, 2007
I am trying to figure out how to go about getting Dominican citizenship that I am "entitled to" because I am the child of Dominican citizens and I am 18+. I've googled it and have only gotten procedure for everything but my status.

I am a US citizen but I am planning on living and working in DR in the fall. The DR citizenship would help my working situation. I am currently still in the states. Is it possible to start the citizenship application here or do I have to be on DR soil first?

By the way, I am new to the DR1. Just wanted to say this is an incredible resource.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Below you'll find what Mr Guzman has posted a few months ago. If you have any futher questions that are not answered in his post please feel free to ask and when he has time he will answer. Welcome to Dr1 ;)

A person born of a Dominican father or mother has the right to acquire Dominican citizenship by virtue of Article 11 of the Constitution and Article 26 of Law 1683 of 1948. The steps to be taken are the following:

1) Obtain birth certificate of the applicant, authenticated at a Dominican Consulate and translated into Spanish by an official translator here in the DR.

(2) Obtain birth certificate of the applicant?s Dominican parent.

(3) 3 pictures, 2 x 2 inches of the applicant.

(4) Copy of the first 3 pages of the applicant?s passport.

(5) Affidavit prepared by a Dominican Notary Public in which the applicant states his wish to apply for Dominican citizenship.

(6) Petition to the Minister of Interior with documents described above.

(7) Application and newspaper fees.

The applicant will have to make two trips to the Dominican Republic: the first to file the application (the affidavit before the Notary Public has to be sworn in person) and the second when the process is finalized.

If you don't have the patience and time to deal with the Dominican bureaucracy, I would recommend using an attorney with experience in immigration matters

domenico

Jan 4, 2004
Im a American born to a Dominican mother, i see that it says i need to make 2 trips to DR before acquiring citizenship. Can't it be done in one sitting im going there for 10 days in January and i can start the process here already. I mean i wouldn't mind taking a lawyer if convenience and the fee are good. Guzman could i set up a appointment with you from the states? over phone or email

domenico

Jan 4, 2004
hey, my question is now cause i read up on what you need, it says you need your parent(s) cedula and birth certificate which i have but when she came in to the country she never got her cedula renewed so the documents are old. Can they still be used??

minaya

Oct 23, 2007
Is the cedula requirement flexible?

I am a senior citiizen born in New York City. My parents were both Dominican and long deceased--both were born in the first decade of the1900s. I have their birth certificates, but no cedulas. Can this cedula requirement be waived in my application for Dominican citizenship?

tjmurray

Bronze
Aug 11, 2006
Below you'll find what Mr Guzman has posted a few months ago. If you have any futher questions that are not answered in his post please feel free to ask and when he has time he will answer. Welcome to Dr1 ;)

A person born of a Dominican father or mother has the right to acquire Dominican citizenship by virtue of Article 11 of the Constitution and Article 26 of Law 1683 of 1948. The steps to be taken are the following:

1) Obtain birth certificate of the applicant, authenticated at a Dominican Consulate and translated into Spanish by an official translator here in the DR.

(5) Affidavit prepared by a Dominican Notary Public in which the applicant states his wish to apply for Dominican citizenship.

The applicant will have to make two trips to the Dominican Republic: the first to file the application (the affidavit before the Notary Public has to be sworn in person) and the second when the process is finalized.

If you don't have the patience and time to deal with the Dominican bureaucracy, I would recommend using an attorney with experience in immigration matters

I too am the child of a Dominican parent and I've already gone through the process of getting my Dominican citizenship. This is what the Dominican consulate told me I needed to obtain citizenship and it is all basically wrong. Well, that's what I found anyway. I wasted money on getting a notary public to write me a letter of intent and time trying to get an ad in the newspaper. None of this was necessary. Please use the following link in the DR1 knowledge base for information on how to get your citizenship:

http://www.dr1.com/support/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=194

I followed this format and the process was much easier. Also, my mother left the Dominican Republic when she was 14, so she was never given a cedula, as cedula are handed out to persons 18 and older. I was never asked for her cedula during the process, only her birth certificate. Also, there is no need to spend the money on an attorney in my opinion as the process is not difficult at all.

Obviously, Mr. Guzman is a respected lawyer in the country and I don't pretend to override his information on legal matters. With that said, the process I followed was streamlined and it got my Dominican citizenship.

tjmurray

Bronze
Aug 11, 2006
hey, my question is now cause i read up on what you need, it says you need your parent(s) cedula and birth certificate which i have but when she came in to the country she never got her cedula renewed so the documents are old. Can they still be used??

My mother's birth certificate was the original from the 1950's. You simply bring in the original and get the certificate renewed. Please use the link I mentioned in an earlier post for more info.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Naturalizations

I would contact the Ministry of Interior of Police after reading their requirements.

Consultor?a Juridica - NATURALIZACIONES

This confirms it is the birth certificate of the parent that establishes the link to you. On your birth certificate should appear one of the names of your parents same as on their own birth certificate.

Twix

Banned
Feb 23, 2011
While you are in the states you will need to get your certified birth certificate (the one with the fancy blue border) which should cost around 10 dollars. Do not use your normal birth certificate as it is no good here. Take your birth certificate to the secretary of state to get it apostilled. You will also need one of your parents legalized birth certificate and two 2x2 photos of yourself. When you go to the DR you will need your birth certificate translated and legalized which a lawyer can do and should cost no more than 800 pesos. You will also need to fill out a form that is on the website Dolores posted.

Once you have all of this then you need to take it to Santo Domingo. unfortunatly I'm not sure where you need to take it because my uncle did the rest of the process for me. The only other thing I know is you need to pick a place where your Dominican birth certificate will be filed at, and that is where you will need to go to get it once the process is done and to get the birth certificate for the cedula. it will be the only place you can go to get it so don't have it filed in the middle of nowhere in a place that is hard to get to because that is what my uncle did even though I told him to have it filed in santiago! such a pain.

Bella8156

Feb 27, 2013
No Birth Certificate

Hi, i was born in the Dominican Republic and reside in the U.S. I would like to get my two kids their Dominican citizenship and passports. My home was recently damaged due to hurricane Sandy and i have lost all my documents with the exception of my Dominican passport. How do i go about getting my birth certificate replaced? Am i able to do so at the embassy in NY?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Hi, i was born in the Dominican Republic and reside in the U.S. I would like to get my two kids their Dominican citizenship and passports. My home was recently damaged due to hurricane Sandy and i have lost all my documents with the exception of my Dominican passport. How do i go about getting my birth certificate replaced? Am i able to do so at the embassy in NY?

Call the consulate nearest you and ask:
DOMINICAN CONSULATES IN THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

GLENDALE, CALIFORNIA
Consulate General
Address: 500 North Brand Blvd. Suite 960
Glendale, CA 91203
Phone: (818) 504-6605 / 504-6602
Fax: (818) 504-6617
E-mail: info@consuladodominicanoca.com

Web: www.consuladodominicanoca.com
MIAMI, FLORIDA
Consulate General
Address: 1038 Brickell Avenue
Miami, Florida 33131
Phone: (305) 358-3220
Fax: (305) 358-2318
Email: info@consuladordmiami.gob.do

Web: www.consuladordmiami.gob.do
CHICAGO, ILLINOIS
Consulate General
Address: 8770 West Bryn Mawr Avenue
Triangle Plaza, Suite 1300
Chicago, IL 60631
Phone: (773) 714-4924
Fax: (773) 714-4926

E-mail: drchicagoconsulate@hotmail.com
Web: www.drchicagoconsulate.com
NEW ORLEANS, LOUSIANA
Consulate General
Address: 1647 World Trade Center, Suite 2100
New Orleans, Louisiana 70130
Phone: (504) 522-1843
Fax: (504) 522-1007
E-mail: codonos@bellsouth.net

BOSTON, MASSACHUSETTS
Consulate General
Address: 20 Park Plaza, Suite 601
Boston, MA 02116
Phone: (617) 482-8121
Fax: (617) 482-8133
Email: consdomboston@serex.gov.do

NEW YORK, NY
Consulate General
Address: 1501 Broadway Ave., Suite 410
New York, NY 10036
Phone: (212) 768-2480, 81, 82 y 83
Fax: (212) 768-2677 / (212) 827-0425
E-Mail: cdmny@verizon.net

Web: www.consuladord-ny.org
SAN JUAN, PUERTO RICO
Consulate General
Address: Avenida Ponce de Le?n #1607, Suite 101
San Juan, Puerto Rico 00909
Phone: (787) 725-9550 / 725-9554
Fax: (787) 721-7820
E-Mail: consudompr@hotmail.com

Web: www.consudompr.com
MAYAGUEZ, PUERTO RICO
Consulate General
Address: Mckinley #30 Oeste, 2nd Piso
Mayag?ez, Puerto Rico 00680
Phone: (787) 833-4756 / 757-3170
Fax: (787) 832-4066

WASHINGTON, DC
Embassy of the Dominican Republic Consular Section
Address: 1715 22nd St. NW
Washington, DC 20008
Phone: (202) 332 7670 / (202) 387-2459
Fax: (202) 265-8057
E-mail: consular@us.serex.gov.do

Web: www.domrep.org

Embassy of the Dominican Republic, in the United States

LiveADay

Mar 14, 2013
Call the consulate nearest you and ask:
DOMINICAN CONSULATES IN THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

GLENDALE, CALIFORNIA
Consulate General
Address: 500 North Brand Blvd. Suite 960
Glendale, CA 91203
Phone: (818) 504-6605 / 504-6602
Fax: (818) 504-6617
E-mail: info@consuladodominicanoca.com

Web: www.consuladodominicanoca.com
MIAMI, FLORIDA
Consulate General
Address: 1038 Brickell Avenue
Miami, Florida 33131
Phone: (305) 358-3220
Fax: (305) 358-2318
Email: info@consuladordmiami.gob.do

Web: www.consuladordmiami.gob.do
CHICAGO, ILLINOIS
Consulate General
Address: 8770 West Bryn Mawr Avenue
Triangle Plaza, Suite 1300
Chicago, IL 60631
Phone: (773) 714-4924
Fax: (773) 714-4926

E-mail: drchicagoconsulate@hotmail.com
Web: www.drchicagoconsulate.com
NEW ORLEANS, LOUSIANA
Consulate General
Address: 1647 World Trade Center, Suite 2100
New Orleans, Louisiana 70130
Phone: (504) 522-1843
Fax: (504) 522-1007
E-mail: codonos@bellsouth.net

BOSTON, MASSACHUSETTS
Consulate General
Address: 20 Park Plaza, Suite 601
Boston, MA 02116
Phone: (617) 482-8121
Fax: (617) 482-8133
Email: consdomboston@serex.gov.do

NEW YORK, NY
Consulate General
Address: 1501 Broadway Ave., Suite 410
New York, NY 10036
Phone: (212) 768-2480, 81, 82 y 83
Fax: (212) 768-2677 / (212) 827-0425
E-Mail: cdmny@verizon.net

Web: www.consuladord-ny.org
SAN JUAN, PUERTO RICO
Consulate General
Address: Avenida Ponce de Le?n #1607, Suite 101
San Juan, Puerto Rico 00909
Phone: (787) 725-9550 / 725-9554
Fax: (787) 721-7820
E-Mail: consudompr@hotmail.com

Web: www.consudompr.com
MAYAGUEZ, PUERTO RICO
Consulate General
Address: Mckinley #30 Oeste, 2nd Piso
Mayag?ez, Puerto Rico 00680
Phone: (787) 833-4756 / 757-3170
Fax: (787) 832-4066

WASHINGTON, DC
Embassy of the Dominican Republic Consular Section
Address: 1715 22nd St. NW
Washington, DC 20008
Phone: (202) 332 7670 / (202) 387-2459
Fax: (202) 265-8057
E-mail: consular@us.serex.gov.do

Web: www.domrep.org

Embassy of the Dominican Republic, in the United States

Just wanted to point out to anyone who needs to contact the Consulate in Miami: the website and all their email services have been down for a while, so anything you need them for you're going to need to call during business hours and they'll refer you to wherever you need to go.

Apr 30, 2006
www.drlawyer.com
The first thing you'd need to do would be to obtain a certified copy of your birth certificate. This was something Dominicans living abroad were able to obtain directly through their nearest Dominican Central Electoral Board's office abroad ("JCE"). This is no longer possible as, effective Jan. 31st, 2013, the Central Electoral Board decided to shut down all offices abroad due to government budget cuts. Given this, you'll now need to have a relative of yours down in DR obtain the certificate on your behalf or have an attorney do it instead.