Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Salt Water Shower?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Salt Water Shower?

I have heard that most people in Las Galeras fill their home water tanks with salt water. Is this true? If so, aren't you a bit sticky after your shower? J in Memphis

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by memphisj View Post
    I have heard that most people in Las Galeras fill their home water tanks with salt water. Is this true? If so, aren't you a bit sticky after your shower? J in Memphis
    Maybe they don't have fresh water there, but I would be surprised if they don't.
    As you said, you would be quite sticky after, and if that was the general rule around there, surely some tourists would have mentioned it before in their trip reports, of which there have been many.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I was just curious. I'm not too picky, but I don't want to be too sticky! J

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Not true at all-its amazing the kinds of misinformation that floats around here. However, ALL the ground water from shallow wells (under 200 feet deep) at this end of the peninsula has a small salt content because of the porousness of the ground (karstic region) and the proximity of the ocean on three sides of the peninsula. Resultingly, you can taste the salt in the water when you brush your teeth (salt is evident at 17 parts per million parts of water) but it doesnt leave a sticky residue when you shower. It does play hell with the plumbing- we replace faucets at our hotel every couple of years because of severe corrosion, even to chrome-plated brass ones. And I suspect there may be a health benefit to this as salt will kill many unhealthy microbes that can be found in common groundwater.
    Last edited by Andy B; 08-03-2007 at 07:53 AM.

5. Likes bigwhiskey liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey, at least it ceases to be misinformation when someone takes the time to explain. Thank you very much Andy. This forum is great for clearing stuff up!

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by memphisj View Post
    Hey, at least it ceases to be misinformation when someone takes the time to explain. Thank you very much Andy. This forum is great for clearing stuff up!
    You are correct on both points, and I for one, will go to bed tonight, a little bit more informed.

8. Likes Polar Bear liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

The tap water in Las Galeras is definitively saltier than regular tap water, but not like the sea!

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Default showers

Quote Originally Posted by montreal View Post
    The tap water in Las Galeras is definitively saltier than regular tap water, but not like the sea!
    The showers at cayo leventado samana seemed mostly salt water when i was there once

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by bienamor View Post
    The showers at cayo leventado samana seemed mostly salt water when i was there once
    That doesn't suprise me at all. Cayo Levantado is a small island in the middle of Samana Bay with no fresh water source other than a well or what runs off the roof when it rains. The hotel has been completely rebuilt and perhaps they improved their water supply. On the other hand, with the exception of the tip of the peninsula in the Las Galeras area, most of the peninsula has good water both from several rivers and from natural springs. One of these rivers, the Rio San Juan, is being tapped near Del Vallee for the new aquaduct under construction that will serve much of the peninsula from Samana out to Las Galeras. A new aquaduct also under construction is also bringing water into Samana itself. Both projects are expected to be completed sometime in 2009.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Pyratts know....regular soap won't lather in salt water. Joy or Dawn dish soap will. USCG uses both on oil spills for this reason. Have used JOY soap to bathe with in the ocean in a pinch.

If your hand soaps lather, you may have higher than normal salts but NOT sea water

Hope this helps

p.s.> Dry off quick and the salt won't stick to you....another pyratt trick

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast