If this can help someone out there!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bellissima_81

Apr 19, 2006
So here it goes, as im sitting here crying my eyes off I really hope that this story can help someone out there! First i want to say im not ugly or fat and i have a good head on my shoulder.

So 2 years ago i visited the DR, it was one of those vacation just to get away as there was a lot happening in my life my first option was Cuba but then with hurricaine Dennis the trip was cancelled and reschedualed to the DR. I meet someone very genuine ( no i wont name any names) nothing happened all that we did was talk not about stupid things but more about life and other things, deep conversations. We hit it off right off the bat wich for me isnt weird because i get along with a lot of people and im very friendly and sociable. When leaving i left that person my email and phone number as I do have penpals all around! I arrived home and got a call from him just wanting to know if all was ok there was no i love you and all that other crap. I never really called and he did most of the calling. Then in December of that same year i graduated law school and decided to go to DR and Italy as a graduation gift . When returning to the DR i spent more time with him and things grew. We made it official but still no i love you etc . I went back in March of the following year and things were even greater! I spent a lot of time visiting the country and learning the language and making friends and we finally made it really official when he gave me a ring. Things were great i had told him i had already planned to move there in september and he helped me find a place and all. when i moved my dad came down meet him and like him we lived together and he paid half of everything (he actually gave me his whole paycheck everytime he would get paid and told me to use it for the appt and things we needed). My whole 4 months there were great no regrets what so ever loved everything about it. And I had told one of his friends once when asking why i spoke spanish I said so i can make sure he doesnt make any stupid comments and understand conversation he has with others. I had read all the sankie stories and all but I had no red flags till after i came back from my 4 months there.

I came back in December back home and thats when things started getting rocky, I had meet his family and loved them but things between us wasnt the same i had that woman intuition the feeling when u know something is up and still cant figure what. Found out he lied about certain things and had cheated (I decided after a month of thinking to forgive and try to make it work as i had invested a lot not financially but emotionnally). Well that was the mistake i made and i know see it. When forgiving i guess some people think they can do it again and it will all be ok. I went back in may and we had the longest talks and i said i was ready to put the past behind with certain conditions wich we both agreed to. Planned to get married and he had saved money over 1000$ USD to get me my engagement ring.

I came home sure things were great till i started to trully open my eyes and saw he was taking me for granted , the calls keeped on beeing less and less , the emails no more! No picking up the phone when i called and all these excuses came up, thats when I had enough and decided to put my foot down, why was I gonna put up with all of that when i dont even accept that from someone back home! So last night I did the hardest thing ever after 2 yrs I decided to just end it as it wasnt worth it anymore and i hated the person i had become jealous and all i was never like that but with the cheating and me forgiving i found myself changing!

Listen girls who are out there dating a dominican men, all i can say is that MOST im not saying all BUT MOST are con artist, and i found what i found cuz im a good detective. Whats the point of beeing with someone if u always have to worry if they are with someone else or not!

Does it hurt hellllllllll yes!!!!!!!!! will it hurt tomorrow even more then today but in the long run I know who i am and i know what i deserve and i was blinded by this fictionnal love that only seemed to exist in my mind and even after 2 years im happy that i came to my senses and realized I DESERVED SOOOOO MUCH MORE AND MUCH BETTER! Why give up everything for someone who and cant do the same for you?

I hope it does help others cuz love is sooooooo blind and dominicans working in resorts most of them are con artist and will make u belive the world if you let them! I hope it helps, i never wanted to say anything before because i guess i did not want people to tell me the truth and i just wanted to belive in my own reality that never really existed! Like I told him last night: YOU DO NOT LOVE ME YOU LOVE THE IDEA OF ME!

Bellissima

bellissima_81

Apr 19, 2006
BTW I still love DR and im still planning on going back next month that does not change my view on the country itself!

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Sorry it didn't work out Bellisima and that this expirience hasn't tainted you against going back to the DR and enjoying the country and people. I'm sure you learnt a lot.

Bellisima has written her story in hopes it might help others. She didn't write it for advice so please be nice or else you know what will happen to your post ;)

bellissima_81

Apr 19, 2006
Thanks anna , nope it hasnt tainted me against going back cuz like i said im planning to go back in the next month, i love the people and culture but i guess i too was a victim but im happy i figured it out before things got worst like marriage and having him leave the country

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
A lot of us on this site know how you feel. Take your time to heal. All the best wishes to you!

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Of course in can happen in any country

but since this is a DR related site it has to be DR related. If someone wanted to tell us about a failed relationship with a Cuban or an Italian it would be deleted because it wouldn't be DR related.

This isn't a discussion about the loft so don't go there

And if this girl needs a pity party then she is allowed a pity party if it helps her to get over it ;)

Last edited:

Charlielyn

Bronze
Jul 31, 2005
bellissima - you deserve better honey! I'm glad you saw the light before he hurt you even more. You will be stronger for this.

jruane44

Bronze
Jul 2, 2004
A, A
I'm not going to bash you, but how does a highly educated woman (lawyer) fall for an uneducated resort worker? I'm sure you would not date a dish washing immigrant where ever you are from. Think the same way when you go back to the D.R. Next time you go, DO NOT let him know. Go visit another part of the island. I would highly reccommend never contacting him again. I hope you helped out some other women on this site. Good luck to you.

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
Bellisima - thank you for being so open and honest about your experience.
( I feel like apologizing for Sholly's post - but alas)

Love here, or back home, always does a number on us and sometimes it may seem harder with the distance and the feel of this great island.

Hope you have a fabulous time when you are here.

Audra

Bronze
Mar 19, 2006
I do hope people that think they are dating a DDD will read and listen. It really is painful.

All you need is time, and talking about it really does help.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Bueno.....

All I can tell this girl is to learn from this experience and move on.

It hurts now but if you really think this is the best for you, you will be "alrighty then" in no time.

Also, next time, make sure you give people on this board the benefit of the doubt when they tell you about red flags they see and you don't as SOME of us do not talk out of our axxes, rather out of experiences.

Good luck to you.

Sep 19, 2005
well bellissima you werent sanktified, you were just dominicanized.....

it is an issue of infidelity, which we hear over and over, just seems to be in the blood of most dominican men.

two years is a long run......relationships in general seldom last that long with out marriage....

and we know marriage can't put a forcefield of immunity around a relationship.......

is there really ANYTHING that can be done to prevent a situation like yours???????????

I think not......

heck when you first start dating it is possible that even the cheater doesnt know he will cheat on you...he may even convince himself you are the one.

but as time goes by that dynamic forced called LIFE starts turning the screw.....maybe you both weather it, maybe you dont.....

I have been dating my dominican GF for more than 2 years now.. and the screw turns for sure.....nothing to derail us totally. life is so dynamic...you just cant lay out the content BEFORE it is lived!!!

take your best shot at that moment in life and ride it for as long as you can...you may have to bend when you didnt want to, and it may leave a dent where you REALLY bent farther than you ever wanted......but if you can keep from breaking , you are going as good as most.

think of life as the challenge to stay alive and look forward to tomorrows, with your loved one, with your self, with your dog, what ever.......

good luck

bob

bellissima_81

Apr 19, 2006
Thanks for all the nice replies! Yes it does hurt more then anything out there right now! but i am strong and very family oriented and they are helping alot. No contact since its over and i did get 11 miss calls from him and did not answer any of them, life does go on! I remember when i was living there and a friend said why dont u just marry him now an bring him back to canada and i said what the heck why would i rush things when i dont even rush things if i was dating someone back home. Im glad i took my time and saw true colors come out at least all i have is a hearth hache and not a divorce or a child!

I just want people to realize that the signs are there we just choose not to see them, red flags are easy to see and spot i was just blinded by this whole idea that maybe in the end it could work!

I guess what hurts the most is the disapointement of all of this but like i said im glad i saw it now and not later on when i would of been more engaged into a untrue relationship!

Ladies please please be carefull and listen when they give advice it might be harsh at first but its the truth!

Bellissima

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
The problem with a lot of men including Dominicans I found is that it is hard to see if he truly cares about you or not. I would never come close to someone who doesn't and that is why being a doggie does work for men and doesn't work for women. A lot of men don't care if a woman is true and loves him as long as he gets what he wants. Most women do. Because if he doesn't and is irresponsible - he can give you a desease, get you in big trouble financially and then dump you. That is why LD relationships are so confusing. It is very hard to tell.

Sep 19, 2005
azb......what are you talking about buddy?????????

please dont even suggest to us that those more desireable , upper class dominican males that go to the LOFT...dont cheat on their women and break hearts!!!!!

because ill say thats a lie......I too know many dominicans in that catergory...and I can only think of one who I would say doesnt cheat on his woman....or hasnt cheated on his woman at some point.....

and the kicker is....I really think some of those upper class wives...just let it go...because they saw it their whole life growing up....its like a drinking husband....you just put up with it...

it may be true we dont hear of those stories......about the vacationer who visited and fell in love with a bank manager making 65,000 pesos a month, and then had him break their heart.

so it seems you are right on track with where these women meet and fall in love with their dominican men....but to suggest that the result would be any different as far as a cheating boyfriend...if he was a "loft" client

is laughable

bob

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
I noticed a lot of men think that being with a lot of women is good for their ego. That is why they do it. Somehow they don't see that there are more interesting and important things in this life. I have never been with anyone poor or uneducated but they seemed to have the same type of attitude as those poor ones. I find this psychology to be very shallow and insecure because most of the women they are with either are desparate or don't really care about them and if they did - they would not be listening to the lies and pretending to beleive. How can such life be fulfilling?

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
So Bob has a point too. men cheat in all categories but I bet many educated men from decent families are less likely to cheat than guys who work in resorts.
But for BOB's information, I know many decent guys from good families who don't cheat. Some are actually very religious and actually married their first love. BOB maybe surprised to hear that I know women who are as old as 30 and still virgins. hahahaha, I know he laughing now.
Men cheat from all over the world, and if given the right circumstances and low risks, I bet even bob will consider playing around a bit.
So my point is this: if you must fall in love with a dominican man, why look for him in the dirt? why look for love in resorts? Why fall in love with a man who fell for you in a NY minute? You think you are so special that he can't even notice other female admirers around him? You think he is cute only to you? A man who makes few hundred dollars a month, because he has no education and no experience or brains to do anything more important than to work in resort animation team or being a bartender etc. If you must find a dominican man, then why not find one who will make you feel proud, the one who can secure you financially and be able to guide you in life intellectually not just make you feel good in bed. Why not look for a classy man for a change? You all say you have a good head on your shoulder yet you all fall for scums in resorts. So please, play a different song the next time.
AZB

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
Well, this would be perfect. Are there Dominicans who are not too uptight, obsessed with religion, actually love learning (not just getting degrees) and open minded?

I want to know this also. Are there any men like this???
and also Are there any in middle to upper class that are not conceited and think that they are better than everyone else? :ermm:

DAKRA

Bronze
Feb 21, 2007
My Heart Goes OUT to YOU.............

I feel sorry for you because I do not wish pain on anyone! :bored:- But I am glad that you are sharing your story so that others may learn from your situation.

By the way,

What happended to the ring? - Did you give it back?

What happened/How did he respond when you confronted him about the cheating?

Any most importanly, (I really hate to ask this... But,) Did he at all think that upon getting married that he was going to be relocating OUT of the DR?

Just wanted to know to satisfy my own curriosity.:disappoin

Status
Not open for further replies.