Do I need a transit visa for US, France, Germany?

GH10ad

May 12, 2007
All going well, my girl will have a UK Fiancee visa issued soon.

When I visit the Dominican Republic, I usually use charter flights such as Thomson fly/ Fly Thomascook/Airtours.

I think that they said they will not sell me a one way ticket From Punta Cana to Manchester or London.

I said "what if I buy a return and she only uses the return?" They said if she is not on the outbound journey TO the Dominican Republic then they may cancel the return ticket.

So I looked at major Airlines. American Airlines, Air France, British Airways and others.

None are direct flights, all stop in another country.

So.............
If she had to go to Newark or New york JFK in the US, does she need a transit Visa? Also, if we use Air France and she goes to Paris Charles De Gaulle then does she need a transit visa.

I thought if she does not leave the departure area/go through immigration then she is ok as she is not officially IN that country and can continue on the connectiong flight to the other country she has a valid visa for.

Any Ideas?

The French embassy in London said "phone back on monday", the US embassy was closed.

Thanks,

GH.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
The only thing I can tell you for sure is that the US has not issued transit visas through the US since 911.

For the rest of your question I hope others have some suggestions for you.

Good luck

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
Dominican citizens do not need a transit visa to pass through a Schengen country (which inludes Spain, France, Germany, Belgium and The Netherlands, countries with direct flights to the DR). As far as I know, only Iberia (Madrid), Air France (Paris) and Jetairfly (Brussels) sell one way tickets.
As Anna said, the US does not issue transit visa anymore, which means she would need to get a regular visa for the US to pass through, even if not leaving the departure area or even the plane.

Feb 7, 2007
You are OK if you purchase OW on Iberia or Air France.
UK is not in the Schengen zone, so she does not need a transit or Schengen visa to pass through France or Spain.

That said, make sure the flight you book does not have a direct stop within a Schengen zone.

E.g while flight Santo Domingo - Madrid - London would be OK,
flight Santo Domingo - Madrid - Barcelona - London would be a NO GO.
It has Madrid - Barcelona portion, which is in Schengen Zone, and thus a domestic/Schengen flight.

You may also want to check a RT ticket, as many times RT will be cheaper than OW.

Also note, she must be able to continue her journey on the same ticket once in European stopever country. E.g. Jetairfly to Brussels and Sabena to London would be a NO GO, as she would need two tickets, she would need to recheck her bags (in Brussels) and thus enter the Schengen zone.

GH10ad

May 12, 2007
Thanks for the replies.

I understand now that she can pass through Spain, France, the Netherlands, and some German airports just NOT the USA.

As long as she is coming from a non schengen country and going to a non schengen country after with a visa for the final destination, she can land in these countries but must get connecting flights and cannot leave the airport lounge/officially enter the country.

What does OW and RT mean?

DOMINCAN BOY

On Vacation!
Jun 6, 2006
Transit Visa Beware

My friend used a local travel agent not the big ones like thomson going places etc, you will have to book a schedule flight they wont let you book a charter flight they tried to fly her to st martins then the uk but no good a transit visa was req ,so they changed the ticket and flew her to paris then london .I also did the same with my step sons they flew with air france. When i flew my fiance 6 years ago she went to newark then london but things have changed please use the small travel AGENT and make sure that there is no transit visa req THE TRANSIT VISA IS A BIG PROBLEM BE AWARE all the best vince1956 BTW the ticket was about ?800.00

Last edited:

korejdk

Bronze
Dec 29, 2006
You are OK if you purchase OW on Iberia or Air France.
UK is not in the Schengen zone, so she does not need a transit or Schengen visa to pass through France or Spain.

That said, make sure the flight you book does not have a direct stop within a Schengen zone.

E.g while flight Santo Domingo - Madrid - London would be OK,
flight Santo Domingo - Madrid - Barcelona - London would be a NO GO.
It has Madrid - Barcelona portion, which is in Schengen Zone, and thus a domestic/Schengen flight.

You may also want to check a RT ticket, as many times RT will be cheaper than OW.

Also note, she must be able to continue her journey on the same ticket once in European stopever country. E.g. Jetairfly to Brussels and Sabena to London would be a NO GO, as she would need two tickets, she would need to recheck her bags (in Brussels) and thus enter the Schengen zone.

RH - I beg you a pardon but I'm kind of confused - it does make sense what you're saying, yet...this is what I've seen posted on official sites as the definition of a Schengen transit visa:
" Transit Schengen visas are visas that allow the holder to pass through one or more Schengen member states on the way to a country outside the Schengen Space."
I mean...whenever I fly JFK - EU in Amsterdam I never get to see any controls as long as I do not exit the secure area - Budapest for example ( soon to be Schengen ) you do get to have your passport checked...
I plan to fly my novia this summer to Europe ( within EU but nonSchengen ), and I need a layover in either Paris, Madrid, Vienna or who knows...if I apply for a transit visa to either of those and she'll get refused than she'll be redflagged on the Schengen system...IS it true that the French issue the trasit easier than the Spanish ?
Anyone had any similar experiences ?
Many many thanks

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
I plan to fly my novia this summer to Europe ( within EU but nonSchengen ), and I need a layover in either Paris, Madrid, Vienna or who knows...
If, as I assume, your girlfriend is Dominican, she won't need an airport transit visa. Transit visa for Schengen do exist, but only citizens of a select few countries need such a transit visa for the Schengen area, and Dominicans don't. She would need a visa to leave the international zone of the airport, travel by land, etc.