Julia Alvarez will be reading from her new book

Non Fiction!!!!

Once Upon a Quinceanera

Barnes & Noble Lincoln Center 7 PM

212 595 6859

2LeftFeet

Bronze
Dec 1, 2006
I'm hoping someone caught her. I'm disappointed. I thought that she was going to be there on Friday. I made plans to see her. I was all set to go with my sister and discovered that I had the wrong day. I had plans already for today.

Her schedule is posted on her website. Her next stop is Florida.

I'm excited about her book. I only read non-fiction so it should be great!!!

StellaRay

Apr 8, 2007
Oh, I can't believe I just read about this after the fact! I definitely would have made plans to go see her. Did anyone manage to make it by B&N?

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
Hey guys I got to meet Julia Alvarez. About 100 people were there, mostly women. She read excerpts from Quinceanera and answered a few questions. It was exciting to meet her, to meet the lady behind the writing. She signed my book, Quinceanera, for my daughter who'll be 15 at the end of the month. I told her my favorite novel is "In the Name of Salome", and suggested she should write more of those :glasses:. Took some pictures on a disposable camera so now I have to wait til I finish the film to develop it, maybe I can put them on disk and post one of them. It was very nice to meet her, she is a very friendly, approachable and down to earth lady.

Last edited:

2LeftFeet

Bronze
Dec 1, 2006
I'm jealous. How long was the event? How does the book seem? I'd love to see a picture. Please post.

Guillen

Jan 5, 2007
Wow!! Her publisher is really pushing her and the book. From NY to FL ,TX, CA and then Kentucky in only two weeks. Earn your paid money!!!.

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
I'm jealous. How long was the event? How does the book seem? I'd love to see a picture. Please post.

It was probably 1 1/2 hour. I started reading the book, its slow reading, she spent time with a few different families in the US who were planning "Quinceaneara" parties, so she runs u thru some of the most popular traditions and the planning and spending, especially the spending, (where families put themselves into debt for years because they want to throw this party for their daughter) that goes into making this birthday party. I'll keep u posted.

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
ok here's Julia Alvarez and moi at the book signing of "Quinceanera".
shoot its not working, the pic is upsidedown, arghghg

Last edited:

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
I was told by a friend that Julia would be at Books & Books in Coral Gables last week. I decided to go but never even bothered to ask her what the name of the book was, but surprisingly enough, there were alot of males there with their daughters, laughing along with the anecdotes she was mentioning of the different Quinces she wrote about in the book. She's a small lady, was very nice to everyone who was there, didn't get the chance to meet her in person but my friend and I took a few pics of her that night. Possible 150 people in a small room, felt like I was in a carro publico, lol...

JuliaAlvarezbookpremiere1.jpg

JuliaAlvarezautograph.jpg

;)

Mujermaravilla

Jun 15, 2006
who cares about juila alvarez

she is not that good. All her books are about the same thing... she is only famous because she is the only alright Dominican writer... (besides the one hit wonder of Junot Diaz) but the thing is that in all her books she tries to get as far from being Dominican as possible... she protagonist is always of European decent and the antagonist are always your run of the mill mulato Dominican... It's disgusting.

2LeftFeet

Bronze
Dec 1, 2006
I am reading In the time of the Butterflies and I'm enjoying it. The protagonist couldn't have be of european decent so there is one book where that's not true. I haven't read Quinceanera yet so I can't comment on it.

Have you read it?

2LeftFeet

Bronze
Dec 1, 2006
Thanks for the photos! They're great. I'm sorry that I missed her reading but I did get a signed copy of her book. They are selling them at the B&N at Lincoln Center if anyone wants one.

drny

Jun 12, 2007
she is not that good. All her books are about the same thing... she is only famous because she is the only alright Dominican writer... (besides the one hit wonder of Junot Diaz) but the thing is that in all her books she tries to get as far from being Dominican as possible... she protagonist is always of European decent and the antagonist are always your run of the mill mulato Dominican... It's disgusting.

She may not be great but obvisously she must me a decent writer to attain the level of popularity that she has. I'm not totally disagreeing with you, although I love to read I don't read all that mushy stuff either (the ladies seem to like it) but I do feel proud of the fact that she's of Dominican descent and I feel we should at least give her our support and it can only help motivate other up and coming young talent. "In the time of the Butterflies" also helped bring to light a very crucial point in our history and I'm thankful to her for that.

BTW- She's still sexy.

2LeftFeet

Bronze
Dec 1, 2006
I think in the Time of the Butterflies is a great way to tell people about what went on in the DR. After I finish the book-- probably today, I am going to loan it to my mother. She's going to suggest it to her book club

Everett

Jun 8, 2006
Julia Alvarez is a Dominican treasure. She is a talented author, pura Domo and she does write on a variety of subjects and venues.
"Butterflies" is a story that resonates in the minds of those who will oppose tyranny. Why is it that it was the women who raised the spirit of an entire generation miserable under Trujillo. It isn't exactly "Antingone" but in truth it is the old story of women taking up the fight.
The latest is amusing and colorful. To a non-Hispanic it translates a very important event in every woman's memory.
I think Julia Alvarez speaks for Dominicans, Latin American women & freedom loving people everywhere. She provides relevant, topical insight into Dominican history and culture.

Everett

Jun 8, 2006
I liked the "Butterflies" movie too. It stars Selma Hayak and Edward James Olmos who plays Trujillo.