Anything and everything about boats.....

Chikara

Jun 16, 2007
My husband and I are dreaming about buying a boat.
We never had one and we don't know anything about the subject.

Who can tel us where to buy a good second-hand boat?
We although would like to get any information available on the subject.

We live on the north-coast of the DR, and we are very greatfull for any help we can get.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com

Who can tel us where to buy a good second-hand boat?
We although would like to get any information available on the subject.

We live on the north-coast of the DR, and we are very greatfull for any help we can get.
They are all over the internet, and I would suppose that Florida would be the best place to look, unless we are talking about a little boat, which you might find right here in the DR.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
If you have never owned a boat before, you might want to take some classes. The Chapman School of Seamanship in Stuart Fl. is very good. You can look them up on the web. They have different levels concerning many areas of boats and some classes can be completed in a few days to a few weeks. Campus has live-in accomidations and classes may be 5 days a week, 6 +- hours per day. (They also may have some boats for sale.)

In the U.S., you have groups such as the United States Power Squadrons. But classes are one day a week over a several weeks.

Regards, Ringo

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2005
another name for a boat is: a huge hole in the water that eats money as fast as you can feed it .

sinc e you never had a boat before....you best keep it under 25 feet.....because they are not easy to stop or manuver quickly if needed, if they are larger than that.

plus they are very expensive to operate(fuel bill) if they are much larger than that as well......

but lots of fun other wise

good luck

used boats should be super cheap compared to new boats.......once you buy a boat...YOU NEVER get your moneys worth back out of it in a resale........

so be sharp when you buy......it is a buyers market everywhere for used boats

bob

DAKRA

Bronze
Feb 21, 2007
another name for a boat is: a huge hole in the water that eats money as fast as you can feed it .

I don't own a boat, but I do know so many friends who own them. I could not agree more with Bob's comments!

Better start planting the money trees! :tired:

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com

sinc e you never had a boat before....you best keep it under 25 feet.....because they are not easy to stop or manuver quickly if needed, if they are larger than that.

plus they are very expensive to operate(fuel bill) if they are much larger than that as well......

but lots of fun other wise

good luck

used boats should be super cheap compared to new boats.......once you buy a boat...YOU NEVER get your moneys worth back out of it in a resale........

so be sharp when you buy......it is a buyers market everywhere for used boats

bob

As usual more misinformation about a question posted on DR1. I've owned boats of all sizes and shapes for all my life. I'm also a 100 ton USCG liscensed Ocean Master, over 25 years.

Yes boats are expensive, but then so are lots of things. Fact: in over 53 years of OWNING boats, I've never lost a nickle on them.

Boats under 25 feet with a single engine are more difficult to operate than big boats.

Used boats are NOT super cheap. We're looking at used boats, 1970's vintage for retirment soon. Most in the 40-50' range are still bringing over $100,000.

In the DR you might find some used boats in the Boca Chica/Andres area. However, South Florida will be your best bet. Used boats are all over the internet now. Look there.

Sep 19, 2005
As usual more misinformation about a question posted on DR1. I've owned boats of all sizes and shapes for all my life. I'm also a 100 ton USCG liscensed Ocean Master, over 25 years.

Yes boats are expensive, but then so are lots of things. Fact: in over 53 years of OWNING boats, I've never lost a nickle on them.

Boats under 25 feet with a single engine are more difficult to operate than big boats.

Used boats are NOT super cheap. We're looking at used boats, 1970's vintage for retirment soon. Most in the 40-50' range are still bringing over $100,000.

In the DR you might find some used boats in the Boca Chica/Andres area. However, South Florida will be your best bet. Used boats are all over the internet now. Look there.

well Andy with all due respect....the OP isnt a 25 year master yachtmans...and in fact the bigger the boat the harder it is to manuver for most people ESPECIALLY a newby.

there is huge difference in the amount of anticipation time for a bigger boat to react than there is for a small boat.....if the boat driver sees something in the water straight ahead...it will be MUCH easier for him to manuver around it or avoid it on a small boat than a big boat....

why would you say otherwise?

give 100 newbies a 50 foot boat and tell them to put it in a double sided slip...and see how many bang it around...do the same with a 18 footer and see the difference

no missinfomation...just a different view

and it is common knowledge that few boats go up in value....and most in the northeast are sold at huge loses.

I would imagine a place like the south would have a markedly larger amount of boats for sale.......its no sectrect that the sheer numbers would benefit the buyer.

dont think of JUST your experience think of the average experience

bob

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
well Andy with all due respect....the OP isnt a 25 year master yachtmans...and in fact the bigger the boat the harder it is to manuver for most people ESPECIALLY a newby.

there is huge difference in the amount of anticipation time for a bigger boat to react than there is for a small boat.....if the boat driver sees something in the water straight ahead...it will be MUCH easier for him to manuver around it or avoid it on a small boat than a big boat....

why would you say otherwise?

give 100 newbies a 50 foot boat and tell them to put it in a double sided slip...and see how many bang it around...do the same with a 18 footer and see the difference

no missinfomation...just a different view

and it is common knowledge that few boats go up in value....and most in the northeast are sold at huge loses.

I would imagine a place like the south would have a markedly larger amount of boats for sale.......its no sectrect that the sheer numbers would benefit the buyer.

dont think of JUST your experience think of the average experience

bob

Putting an inexperienced boater in a large yacht is just like putting a new pilot who's just soloed a Cessna 172 at 10 hrs time in a 747, it's ludricrous to make the analogy. But, any boater with more than just the average amount of experience will tell you, it's a LOT easier to manuever a boat with twin engines rather than a single, no matter what size. The twin engine 100' boat I ran out to the oil platforms maneuvered better than the single engine Shamrock 26' I currently have up in Florida. And I'm not just thinking of my experience, Bob. I've taught many people how to run boats when I was in boat sales years ago.

Sep 19, 2005
well Andy...this is what the op WROTE:

do you think they should jump right into the 50 foot twin motored boat club??

I have had driven all sizes up to about a 30 footer... and the bigger they get the harder they are to handle. just getting them out of the marina is difficult sometimes....it is hard to keep the boat from banging into things, because of all the momentum a big boat has.

take the tide and some current and some wind....and a big boat.....and a newbie.....in a narrow channel running out of the marina....

hey it is real life and a huge issue for a first time boater.....

but I have never sold boats( for a living) nor have I have driven 100 footers, so maybe I should shut up.....:surprised:surprised

all the best to the OP

bob

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Bob & Andy

You're both right.
You're both talking about different aspects.
Of course, I would want to try my hand at a small 16 footer with an outboard engine, before attempting to pilot a 100 foot boat.
And it understandable that certain big boats would have better handling capacities than most small ones, once one has mastered them.
Bob is suggesting that if the OP is a newbie to boats, that he/she start off with something small and less costly to repair if it gets smashed, and Andy is pointing out that the average big boat maneuvers better than a small one.
Both points are valid.

I wouldn't want to put my girlfriend into a Formula 1 racecar to teach her how to drive, but I do recognize that it handles better than a Toyota Corolla.

pelaut

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
www.ThornlessPath.com
Before you rush off to Florida to buy a small boat (under 50') and drive it down to the DR, look at Luperon Boat Yacht Property Sales - Caribbean - Dominican Republic. They're based in Luperon, POP.

Luperon, though no megayacht port like Casa de Campo, CapCana or Ocean World, actually has boats in its harbor and with people on them -- over 100 now. It's the largest collection of yachts between Miami and the Virgins, and there is a turnover market addressed by Luperon Boat Yacht Property Sales - Caribbean - Dominican Republic

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
"My husband and I are dreaming about buying a boat.
We never had one and we don't know anything about the subject."

As the DR doesn't have much in the way of marine facilities including boat ramps for small, trailerable boats, my suggestion is to forget having a boat in the DR. Also, these is so much hassle with the Marina de Guerre in having a boat here that it's just not worth having one. Some of you will remember what I went through when I brought my sportfisherman down some years ago. Never again.

Your best bet is to move to south Florida and enjoy the vast marine facilities there if you want to get into boating.