Barber License

Status
Not open for further replies.

audboogie

Jul 4, 2004
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone knows or could ask someone how one obtains a barber license in the DR? If a person grew up in a DR barber shop, so has plenty experience cutting hair, but never got a license and now wants to go to DR to get the license, where does one go or do to get it? Or, is there a website or phone number I could call to find out this information?

audboogie

Jul 4, 2004
Anyone can cut hair here, you don't need a license, it's not regulated.

Right, but those that are licensed what did they do to get licensed? is there a department of liscencing in DR?

Who is licensed? Maybe they got a certificate from the local hair product company, but as far as I know, the DR has no official license for barbers.

Just like real estate, you can go on a local course and get a license.
But it's worth nothing, as many other places offer various courses and give out licenses. All it has is perception value, nothing else.

Last edited by a moderator:

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I'm sorry "audboogie" I hit the edit button instead of the quote button, thats the 2nd time I have done this!!! Arrrr!!! Apologies. I'm sure you remember what you wrote :)

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I'm sorry "audboogie" I hit the edit button instead of the quote button, thats the 2nd time I have done this!!! Arrrr!!! Apologies. I'm sure you remember what you wrote :)

Do you need some lessons on how to work this thing ?:laugh:

I've done that too but at some point the if words (quote) at both ends are not there that will give it away. ;)

DAKRA

Bronze
Feb 21, 2007
If you are a good barber, I will be a customer! - - - What can you do for a bald guy?

;)

audboogie

Jul 4, 2004
Right, but those that are licensed what did they do to get licensed? is there a department of liscencing in DR?

Who is licensed? Maybe they got a certificate from the local hair product company, but as far as I know, the DR has no official license for barbers.

Just like real estate, you can go on a local course and get a license.
But it's worth nothing, as many other places offer various courses and give out licenses. All it has is perception value, nothing else.

Robert, maybe if I explain further you could help. We are trying to get a barber license here in NY and according to the Department of licensing here, one way to get a NY barber license is to go to Binghamton with a person and prove you can shave , shampoo, etc. You then hand in 2 statements from people saying they have seen you cut hair, then you HAND IN YOUR LICENSE FROM OTHER STATE OR COUNTRY. It doesn't make sense for him to go to school here and pay $10,000 to learn how to cut hair when he's already a professional. It doesn't make sense for him to work under a master barber for 2 years when he could open up his own shop tomorrow. So were trying to figure out if he can go back to DR and get some "officail" document saying he's a barber in DR, then come back here and hand it in. Get it? I wonder if a certificate from a local hair product company would work? Im told there are pieces of paper in barber shops in DR with the barbers picture on them. Could these be the local hair product diplomas?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
A creative solution might be an official looking (notarised?) letter from a barbershop owner where he worked, saying that he worked there for X years and acquired the appropriate skills.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I was going to get my hair cut today. I tell you what, I will make you a diploma for Dominican Barber school in exchange for a hair cut.
I will even laminate it and put an official seal on it for a shampoo.

tambo' has now heard it all!

DOMINCAN BOY

On Vacation!
Jun 6, 2006
I was going to get my hair cut today. I tell you what, I will make you a diploma for Dominican Barber school in exchange for a hair cut.
I will even laminate it and put an official seal on it for a shampoo.

tambo' has now heard it all!
HA HA :bunny: tambo so funny BTW how many ladies can do hair in the D/R they are always walking around with curlers in ;)

Fever

Mar 16, 2008
Hairdressing school?

Hi there -
My girlfriend is 26 and she wants to go to learn to be a hairdresser. We are in the North Coast, Sosua. Is there anywhere around here where she could learn, or maybe a salon that could take her in for free for 6 months or something so she can learn?

Any info is appreciated, my email is feverish30@hotmail.com to reply off board.

Thanks
Mike / Fever

cuas

May 29, 2006
There are some schools that offer free classes offered by the Board of Education
and you get your certificate. It is 9 months. I do not know if you can speak to an instructor and take a test right away but maybe I can find out. Money in RD takes you a long way but I think you need certain practice hours to get your license in NY. My sister did it years ago. I was one of her models and for other students too. It depends where are you coming. I am only familiar with SD. School year is about to end.
Maybe at Miss Key you can take the test and maybe it include the Board of Education certificate, but the certificate exists.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Robert, maybe if I explain further you could help. We are trying to get a barber license here in NY and according to the Department of licensing here, one way to get a NY barber license is to go to Binghamton with a person and prove you can shave , shampoo, etc. You then hand in 2 statements from people saying they have seen you cut hair, then you HAND IN YOUR LICENSE FROM OTHER STATE OR COUNTRY. It doesn't make sense for him to go to school here and pay $10,000 to learn how to cut hair when he's already a professional. It doesn't make sense for him to work under a master barber for 2 years when he could open up his own shop tomorrow. So were trying to figure out if he can go back to DR and get some "officail" document saying he's a barber in DR, then come back here and hand it in. Get it? I wonder if a certificate from a local hair product company would work? Im told there are pieces of paper in barber shops in DR with the barbers picture on them. Could these be the local hair product diplomas?

To get a NY barber license in lieu of having the experience and time of work at a barbershop over seas you'll need this:

#1- Pass a special test given in a NY barber school on Hygiene and contagious stuff. The cost of the test is about 35 to 50 Dollars.

#2- To provide proof of having the comparable experience overseas of a barber. You'll need to provide either one of these below:

a) A barber school Diploma from that country of origin.

b) A US consulate notarized declaration from DR (or country of origin) denoting a barbershop owner providing that you were employed at such place for over 3 to 4 years(depending on barber license) with detailing of hours worked during employment.

c) A Dominican Biz certificate and back up taxes paid report on having owned a barber biz for 5 years or more (this part means to be the person requiring the license as proof of experience).

d) Pass a health check up at a local doctor's office and have the provided form filled by such Doc (also need to be notarized in NY).

After providing all that stuff you'll wait for the Barber license (not master barber) via mail once approved.

I know so because I had to bail out a dear friend from fines in NYC when her shop was full of chatty employees with no licenses...

It took some bribes here and there to uncover the "easy" path...

The school I had the entire crew take the hygiene test at was called Atlas Barber School in downtown Manhattan... I believe to be one of the few authorized to give the tests; wbt were simple enough that my 14 yo niece took and passed with flying colors just for the fun of it!

These are the only loopholes to very hard and expensive years at barber school or work under a master barber for several years as an apprentice (needs to pass the city tests regardless this way).

Status
Not open for further replies.