Adoption

yisambert

Aug 5, 2007
How can I start the process of changing my daughter's father last name to my husband? My husband wants to adopt her. She was born in DR and is living in USA with me. She still doesn't have a green card.

Thank you

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
If she is living in the US with you I think you should consult with a US lawyer. By the way if you are her birth mother and an American she doesn't need a green card.

Documentation of United States Citizens Born Abroad Who Acquire Citizenship At Birth
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The birth of a child abroad to U.S. citizen parent(s) should be reported as soon as possible to the nearest American consular office for the purpose of establishing an official record of the child?s claim to U.S. citizenship at birth. The official record is in the form of a Consular Report of Birth Abroad of a Citizen of the United States of America. This document, referred to as the Consular Report of Birth or FS-240, is considered a basic United States citizenship document. An original FS-240 is furnished to the parent(s) at the time the registration is approved.[/FONT]

Taken from Documentation of U.S. Citizens Born Abroad

Last edited:

pammie

Aug 17, 2007
I am a US citizen, I was born in the DR, And I have a 2 year old boy and a 4 year girl given me ( 2 years ago) by two different moms, one is my cousin. They still live in the DR, I have their legal custody and I want to get them to the US. I have paid so much money to lawyers with no result. Can someone help me with this?