Serious future DR water shortage?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
It's been happening for a few years on the east coast due to unmanaged development of Punta Cana/Bavaro etc. I covered this in some old posts a year or so ago. Some places are already using desalination plants as the natural water table is not naturally replenishing and is filling with salt water.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
The people in the government are now probably only grasping the ramifications of not having any control over the amount of toxics that are directly dumped into the watersheds on a daily basis such as phosphates from soap and God only knows how many gallons over dirty oil etc. not to mention untreated raw sewer.

The good things are:

1. We never drank the water anyway so as long as the rivers have water in them they will have a source. Who the hell do they think they were trying to kid by saying that the public water supply is potable? Do those dumb a$$ idiots put one plus one together and figure out why there are so many kidney problems amoung the population.

2. Desalinization is a tried and true process but it doesn't come cheap. To pay for the additional cost I propose we herd up all of the useless politicians making US30k a month and ship them somewhere far away in a boat. That should free up billions annually that we could actually do something useful with.

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
1. We never drank the water anyway so as long as the rivers have water in them they will have a source. Who the hell do they think they were trying to kid by saying that the public water supply is potable?

Chip, where does your drinking water come from?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
That is something only a good geologist could say. IF there is water, and if it is far away from latrines, then It should be good water. Normally, at the golf club there, i just drink the water from the tap. Cold and oh so good..

I asked about water in Cap Cana--the development there is incredible--and i was told that there are several springs back in the hills to the west and north, that can supply the area for a long time to come. Personally, I'd like to see it before believing it.

In the Cibao, most of our water comes from the Central Mountain Range..in this case, the Yaque and Bao rivers...

HB

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Chip,
Is a deep well in Jarabacoa likely to yield potable water?

I don't see why not. Check the threads on the forum for well drilling and also about labs that can have the samples tested for you. Failing that drinking water is super cheap, RD30 for 5 gallons. We usually go through 10-15 gallons a week which is not a lot I suppose but then again I get most of my refreshment from fermented hops!

drtampa

Bronze
Oct 1, 2004
New Ulm, TX
Ice Maker

I don't see why not. Check the threads on the forum for well drilling and also about labs that can have the samples tested for you. Failing that drinking water is super cheap, RD30 for 5 gallons. We usually go through 10-15 gallons a week which is not a lot I suppose but then again I get most of my refreshment from fermented hops!

With well water at least I could use the ice maker in the fridges. Or, can you hook-up an icemaker to a 5 gallon water bottle?

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
With well water at least I could use the ice maker in the fridges. Or, can you hook-up an icemaker to a 5 gallon water bottle?

You could put a bottle next to the fridge and insert the tube from the pump into it and see if it will self prime but failing that you may have to elevate the 5 gallon bottle to at least the elevation of the top of the fridge and then figure out someway to "tap" the water cap to connect the tube from the fridge. Conversley, you could buy a normal water cooler stand and fabricate a stand for it and connect the spigot somehow to the tube from the pump(with maybe surgical tube or something).

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
I think that link from Domincan Boy about the water filter is very nice. The drinking straw has potential to save lives.

Last edited:

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
She's referring to Presidente. The big "P" in the name, the tiny "p" is hidden elsewhere on the label to prove that it's not counterfeit. scrutinize carefully your next bottle of Presidente, you'll find it.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
A small auxilliary pump is needed to use the 5 gal. bottle with a refrigerator ice maker.
We did hook ours up in JD but it was too much of a pain in the butt with our 'plentiful' electrical supply!
Now I have an automatic ice maker that is suberb and provides an never ending supply of ice! Her name is Adalisa!:p

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
She's referring to Presidente. The big "P" in the name, the tiny "p" is hidden elsewhere on the label to prove that it's not counterfeit. scrutinize carefully your next bottle of Presidente, you'll find it.

Are you brujo??

rotondo

Jun 18, 2007

THERE IS A SMALL PUMP MADE BY FLOJET THAT SELLS FOR ABOUT $125.00
HAS A TUBE TO GO TO BOTTOM OF JUG, HAS ALL KIND OF PROTECTION, AND IT WORKS FINE FOR WATER OR ICE FROM FRIDGE,